Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2008 :  23:08:04  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone else in UK following the guitar heroes series of clips from the BBC? They are showing some old footage, very eclectic - Hendrix, paco pena, even had the Police with Sting sounding like a Geordie.

Had to wake up my Early Night Old Man to tell hime he'd missed Rory Gallagher. Maybe it'd have been better if I'd woken him to see one of his heroes...

Keep on shining

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  01:26:27  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, it's not a bad series. Seems rather male based though, a few female guitarists would have been nice. Not even a mention, unless I blinked, of Sister Rosetta Tharpe.
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  08:11:44  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah I've watched some of it (think I missed it last week)- Dire Straits from 1978 when they were still lads from the North East with daytime jobs, The Pleece ditto (or at least Sting was from the North East and it looked like they were performing in Newcastle Poly ballroom), BB King - and Rory Gallagher as Lizzy mentioned - I'd forgotten how great he was. Good to see the BBC making some decent use of their archive material for a change.

Edited by - Tina on 19/10/2008 08:29:31
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  08:39:11  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dzzv2

I'd forgotten about John Martyn until I looked at the BBC website - he did some amazing stuff wth an acoustic guitar. Plus Peter Green before he did his head in, he was just brilliant.

Edited by - Tina on 19/10/2008 08:40:06
Go to Top of Page

Rob Dudda
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  11:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched it...enjoyed most of it...but U2...hmm wouldnt call them guitar heroes
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  20:12:31  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Dudda

I watched it...enjoyed most of it...but U2...hmm wouldnt call them guitar heroes

The Edge isn't a guitar hero of mine but I understand he is very popular and, to be honest, I'd rather listen to him than the dreadful Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits anyday. Just a matter of taste really...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  20:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Dudda

The Edge isn't a guitar hero of mine but I understand he is very popular and, to be honest, I'd rather listen to him than the dreadful Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits anyday. Just a matter of taste really...

Yep. Joshua Tree still gets me. But, as you said, caryne----it's what makes the world go round, so for me, Mark Knopfler is in the top of the best guitarists of all time (# 27 RS list). A great fingerstyle guitarist. Admirer of & inspired by the great Chet Atkins, Mark was conversely admired by Chet. Maybe Dire Straights became a little too mainstream for some, but Knopfler's obvious talent on guitar cannot be denied.

I think for the really great guitarists it's not so much how fast their fingers are, it's how they "colour" their sound. George harrison was learning to colour his guitar style in his teens while most other contemporaries were just trying to get blistering leads down. It's that colour that sets apart guitarists like Harrison, Page, Clapton, Hendrix etc. & that's what makes their individual sound so unique, irreplaceable, & instantly identifiable. Just my opinion.

Same with a small group of drummers....no one coloured a song like Ringo...unique drum parts that make his contribution a MAIN part of the song---Rain, Tomorrow Never Knows, and so on. Also Levon Helm, Ginger Baker, Ed Cassidy!....name some more??

Edited by - lemonade kid on 27/10/2008 20:11:26
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  20:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Zappa....nuff said
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  01:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ALLANAGAIN

Frank Zappa....nuff said

YES!

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  08:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama!
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  13:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama!

First Zappa song I heard and still love it. Dweezil also did a cracking version of it. For those who've never given him a chance, unlike most rock dynasties, this really is a case where the son is better albeit only technically than the father. He doesn't have Frank's tone nor feel, but as a blistering, yet melodic shredder, he can compete with any of them. Check out some of the recent recordings of the Zappa Plays Zappa tours if you don't believe me. I have one show in particular from a year or so ago when he duels with Steve Vai on Montana, It's unbelieveable the way the two of them inspire each other to pull out more and more as the solo progresses - impossible not to have a big smile on your face when listening to this.

Good call too on the lack of female guitarists - where's Janis Ian or Emily Remler?
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  14:42:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boombox - I've never heard the single version of My Guitar - I don't know whether you have. I have a feeling that it was backed with a track from Uncle Meat in 1969 .... Dog Breath in the Year of the Plague, possibly. I think that I once read that the single was less interesting than the album version - with less going on in the mix. The first song I heard from The Mothers was Desiree (from Ruben and the Jets) which was played on Radio Luxembourg one night in 1968 - that too was perhaps a single. The song that really won me over was another track from Weasels Ripped My Flesh.....Oh No - with Ray Collins on lead vocals. Like Arthur Lee, that guy was capable of reaching sublime moments of high opera!

Edited by - John9 on 28/10/2008 14:49:59
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  16:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope Zappa plays Zappa will play London again soon, i mised the last one.I was lucky enough to see F.Z.live 4 times, the ZOOT ALURES tour being the best, theres some killer guitar on that album, i allways felt alot of people didnt take F.Z. seriously because of his lyrics, "Shut Up And Play Your Guitar" answered that o.k. I got a Zappa dvd " Baby Snakes" wich has a plug for a dvd of "Roxy and Elswhere" wich i would love to see, but havent found it in the U.K.
Any of you stateside seen it?
LOVE
Allan
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  16:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zappa was a genius on all fronts. I love "Freak Out", "Lumpy Gravy", "We're Only In It For The Money", especially --- even though he reached even higher, musically & creatively on subsequent albums.

Top female guitarists. let us not forget Bonnie Raitt.

Oh, one more great (BASS) guitarist would be John Paul Jones. I have his fine solo effort "Zooma" on which he plays four, six, ten & twelve string bass and lap steel bass, and a few other instruments.........he is amazing.
(and at the top of bassists, JACK BRUCE)

Edited by - lemonade kid on 28/10/2008 16:25:40
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  20:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It can't happen here. It can't happen here. I'm telling you my dear...........that it can't happen here....doe doe doe doe.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  21:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

It can't happen here. It can't happen here. I'm telling you my dear...........that it can't happen here....doe doe doe doe.

Suzy?....Suzy Creamcheese?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page