Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 Share your favorite "youtube" video.......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 51

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  20:41:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man those Lynx guys must like disco on the 2nd vid!..

And the Burritos..they sure spiced up all the country-pie going on at the time, eh?..I'm sure the Okies didn't know what to make of 'em at first!...

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  21:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

man those Lynx guys must like disco on the 2nd vid!..

And the Burritos..they sure spiced up all the country-pie going on at the time, eh?..I'm sure the Okies didn't know what to make of 'em at first!...

Ya, the hippie-styled lyrics were not of the ilk of your father's country music.

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  22:54:08  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Parson, and Byrds, did indeed, run into redneck resistance. Country DJ, Ralph Emery, blasted the Byrds on his radio show. they responded with the brilliant, "Drug store truck drivin' man."

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  00:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and how, Bob! Ironic when you bear in mind how McGuinn and Crosby were reportedly the character models for Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper in.............that motorbike movie. This is not to suggest of course that Ralph Emery was in anything like the same league as the rednecks in that one!

Edited by - John9 on 04/05/2009 00:24:01
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  14:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a time, eh? Culturally, the reddies at the time got it all wrong and jumped to conclusions that just weren't right in that McGuinn, Crosby, Hillman and Parsons etc RESPECTED that whole country tradition that they were singing about. They just didn't get it that the Burritos and Byrds had their own new country style.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  22:53:02  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
many prejudice country-western fans were blinded by the long hair and colorfull clothing, and ignored the music, much of it using the pedal-steel, like Buck Owens' band did. Anti-drug hysteria, and pro-war rednecks kept hippie-country off the Country stations. That is still true today!
Country-Western is not allowed on any "country-western" station! Chris Hillman and Jorma Kaukonen, and Emylou Harris' recent releases are not allowed on "country-western" radio!
hell, even Merl Haggard and Willy Nelson were smokin pot back then, and they and Johnny Cash, are forbidden on ANY "country" station because it's too country.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  23:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

many prejudice country-western fans were blinded by the long hair and colorfull clothing, and ignored the music, much of it using the pedal-steel, like Buck Owens' band did. Anti-drug hysteria, and pro-war rednecks kept hippie-country off the Country stations. That is still true today!
Country-Western is not allowed on any "country-western" station! Chris Hillman and Jorma Kaukonen, and Emylou Harris' recent releases are not allowed on "country-western" radio!
hell, even Merl Haggard and Willy Nelson were smokin pot back then, and they and Johnny Cash, are forbidden on ANY "country" station because it's too country.

The embroidered marijuana leaves on Gram's outfit didn't help matters... But hey, country music stations don't play country anymore, they play pop music recorded in Nashville.

Gene Clark talks about recording "Fantastic Expedition! of Dillard & Clark" ( one of my all-time favorites REAALLY!! )....they didn't sleep for days...partying with the likes of Doug Diilard, Merl Haggard, etc.....you know what they were smoking!! & just what are they passing back and forth on the cover??

Edited by - lemonade kid on 05/05/2009 00:48:22
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  00:26:47  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
yup, that D&C album is great! back then when Merl H.'s, "Okee From Muskogie" came out, I thought it was an anti-hippie record. but, no.
Haggard was smokin' it, and it was his satire on ignorant red-necks.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  00:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a band. So glad to see two Clark songs covered on "Raising Sand".
Those two tracks make Dillard & Clark (2) worth owning. I guess T-bone is looking at some more Gene Clark (& Carla Olson!) songs for inclusion on the follow up to "Raising Sand". Nice.

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  01:07:18  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, being the video thread: i'm too lazy to link it, but that Grammy Awards segment of Plant/Krauss is awesome!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  01:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not the Grammys, John, but I can't get enough of the video at Crossroads.

Please Read The Letter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ3HlqsbUII

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  00:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm unhappy w youtube

They've removed some of my favourites: Tim Buckley on the monkees (I even used the spanish TV version)the hoban anderson animations and the girls night out one.I thought I'd preserved them for memories. Bugger.

They've also taken Willie the Pimp off one of my own vids - but that's OK.
Cocteau twins are still there.

Oh I hope noone takes the love recordings off. My view is we had permission to record.

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

jim
Third Love

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  11:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lizzyb

Tim's performance on the Monkees is indeed a classic!

it is available on the Tim Buckley DVD

Kind wishes Jim.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  16:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bob...and just an fyi...Hillman wheen he had Desert Rose complained that "country" radio wouldn't play the band's music...didn't have that Nashville "country" sound you know? And as we (and DRB) know "formula" music can kill ya!...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  22:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lizzyb

I'm unhappy w youtube

They've removed some of my favourites: Tim Buckley on the monkees (I even used the spanish TV version)the hoban anderson animations and the girls night out one.I thought I'd preserved them for memories. Bugger.

They've also taken Willie the Pimp off one of my own vids - but that's OK.
Cocteau twins are still there.

Oh I hope noone takes the love recordings off. My view is we had permission to record.

Keep on shining

Really am glad to see so many Buckley fans here....been listening to the Dream Letter Live 2 hour DVD...I envy those that saw him then!! His musical peak for me.

Nice mention of great music, rocker....btw, RW gave me an really nice interview he did with Chris in 92 & 99! What a great guy Chris is, and thanks to Rick for saving those interviews for us!

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page