Bo Diddley
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  02:24:15  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i just heard that he passed away. his square shaped guitar, that chug-chug-ghug, chug-chug style was all his own. i don't know if Arthur ever commented about him, but , i'm sure he loved the man.
i remember when the Stones did "Moana" , i thought that riff was so cool! that was all Bo! THE Riff, is also "Who do you love".
r.i.p.

...what the world needs now...

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  04:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw him about twenty years ago. He played the Bo Diddley standards that you'd expect, and had a heck of a lot fun doing them. Then he wound up with a guitar burst that absolutely blew me away. It went something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfz9VfFOKQ&feature=related

And here's a bonus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgzn7VyoqEw&feature=related

Not a word about it on any of our local radio stations. Corporate Radio sucks.

Edited by - ed the bear on 03/06/2008 04:34:55
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  20:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.."corp radio sucks".....heh heh do you think they care about history???........"they don't know Bo".....;-)....
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  20:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be at this on Friday -

A Wake For
BO DIDDLEY
(30th December, 1928-2nd June, 2008)
Celebrating the music and life of a great musician and mentor
The Pretty Things
The Flying Padovanis
The Malchicks
and very special guests
Friday June 6th, 7.30pm-12midnight
100 Club
100 Oxford Oxford Street, London W1D 1LL
Tickets: £18.50 adv/ £20 on door

You have probably heard of the sad death yesterday of Bo Diddley. Bo was one of the great originators of rock & roll, influencing a huge number of bands and in particular, The Rolling Stones and The Pretty Things.
Dick Taylor, Phil May and the others have decided to turn their gig at the 100 Club on Friday into a wake for Bo, the man who not only gave the band its name but also much of its identity and inspiration.
Don't expect a normal Pretty Things show, expect a night dedicated to celebrating the life and great music of Bo Diddley, featuring The Pretty Things, The Flying Padovanis and The Malchicks, plus some very SPECIAL guests.

Tickets and more information from: www.rhythmat.com.

THE PRETTY THINGS
The Pretty Things were preceded by Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys, which consisted of Dick Taylor, fellow Sidcup Art College student Keith Richards and Mick Jagger. When Brian Jones joined the band on guitar, Taylor was pushed from guitar to bass and the band changed its name to the Rollin' Stones.
Taylor (born Richard Clifford Taylor, January 28, 1943, in Dartford, Kent) quit the Stones several months later when he was accepted at the London Central School of Art, where he met Phil May (born Phillip Arthur Dennis Wadey, on November 9, 1944, in Dartford, Kent) and they formed The Pretty Things.
Taylor was once again playing guitar, with May singing and playing harmonica.
The Pretty Things caused a sensation in England, and their first three singles "Rosalyn" #41, "Don't Bring Me Down" #10, and the self-penned "Honey I Need" at #13 appeared in the UK singles chart in 1964-1965. In the U.S. they, along with The Yardbirds and Van Morrison's Them, were a huge influence on hundreds of garage bands, including the MC5 and The Seeds.
Their early material consisted of hard-edged blues-rock influenced by Bo Diddley (they took their name from Diddley's 1955 song "Pretty Thing") and Jimmy Reed. They were known for wild stage behaviour and edgy lyrical content; their song "Midnight to Six Man" defined the mod lifestyle.
In 1967, they embraced psychedelia, producing the concept album S.F. Sorrow during 1967-68. This album, released in late 1968, is arguably one of the first rock operas, preceding the release of The Who's Tommy in April 1969 by a few months. It was recorded in the legendary Abbey Road Studios six months[citation needed] after The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Pink Floyd's The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. These albums share a similar late-1960s psychedelic sound, and the Floyd and Pretty Things albums were both produced by Norman Smith, who had engineered most of the Beatles' recordings until 1966.
S.F. Sorrow was commercially unsuccessful, with no immediate release in the US. Their album was subsequently picked up by Motown Records and issued with a different cover on their Rare Earth label.
S.F. Sorrow was followed by the highly-acclaimed album Parachute, which kept the psychedelic sound and was named "Album of the Year" in 1970 by Rolling Stone. During this period they also recorded an album for a young French millionaire Philippe DeBarge, which was intended only to be circulated among his social circle. The acetate has since been bootlegged.
Their material in the early 1970s tended towards more blues, hard rock and early heavy metal, on albums like Silk Torpedo, released in 1974. By this time they were being managed by Led Zeppelin's Peter Grant. In fact Silk Torpedo was the first album release on Zeppelin's own label Swan Song, which Grant and the band set up to release their own pet projects. Silk Torpedo also earned the band their first US album chart entry, this despite the fact that an earlier album Parachute had been named 'Album of the Year' in 1970 by US rock mag. Rolling Stone. 1980s Cross Talk saw them incorporating influences of punk and new wave into their hard rock sound; like most of their records, it was not a commercial success.
With a new manager, Mark St John, they performed sporadically during the 1980s. By the end of the decade their profile had almost disappeared.
In 2003, Alan Lakey's biography of the band, Growing Old Disgracefully, was published by Firefly. The book dealt with the long and involved history of the band, and paid special attention to the legal proceedings issued against EMI in the 1990s. An extensively re-written version is hoped to be published during 2009 with, on this occasion, the full co-operation of the band.
In mid-2007, The Pretty Things released their 11th studio album Balboa Island on Côte Basque record label. The album contains a number of Pretty Things originals, as well as paying homage to their R & B roots.

I hope to see you on Friday for this unique event!
cheers
jim

ps if you don't already, you might like to tune into BIG L, the radio station that plays 'our kind of' music. Mike Read even has a regular "100 Club spot" every morning! You can find it on the internet at www.bigl.co.uk on Sky and (mainly in the east of England) on 1395 metres on your radio.

pps most of the information you need is on our website www.rhythmat.com - what's on, stage times, nearest tubes, how to buy tickets, seating arrangements, etc - so if you need to know something, please look there first (especially in the 'Buy Tickets' and 'Frequently Asked Questions' pages).

Go to Top of Page

watchinallthapeople
Fourth Love

155 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  07:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I walked 47 miles of barbed wire,
Used a cobra snake for a neck tie.
Got a brand new house on the roadside,
Made out of rattlesnake hide.
I got a brand new chimney made on top,
Made out of human skulls.
Now come on darling let's take a little walk, tell me,
Who do you love,
Who do you love, Who do you love, Who do you love.

Now if that ain't psychedelia I don't know what is ;)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page