New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2008 :  22:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Back in my college days at Eastern Michigan in cold, and boring Ypsilanti I recall a college professor who specialized in African-American affairs by the name of Melvin Peters. He taught an amazing class on hip hop and its development and how it helped shape various aspects of life in America. He seemed to give the distinction of proginator of proto-hip hop to Marvin Gaye from the album Trouble Man, and of course the Last Poets and Gil Scott-Heron. But years would go by before an album called Forever Changes would make its way into my life, and an amazing song called "Bummer In the Summer".

Now of course wse all know that in an interview Arthur proclaimed himself the first rapper even before "L. Cool J" as he put it, but did any of you know that Kanye West sampled "Doggone" for a Talib Kweli album titled Quality. Also, the same song was sampled by DJ Shadow but for what album, and what song I do not know.

Just more stuff to gab on about I suppose.

Cheers,
Thomas

dave
Second Love

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2008 :  13:33:59  Show Profile  Visit dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
'DJ shadow's theme' (1993 track)

the talib kelwi track is 'get by'.

"oh the snot has caked against my pants.........it has turned into crystal"

www.thesilvertongues.com
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2008 :  15:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son has the Talib Kwali album Quality, he just played me the song Get By and i can hear no hint of Doggone atall.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2008 :  17:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas.what you're noting seems to describe a bit how Arthur found himself ahead of the curve on some musical genres like punk,rock and rap. And then there's his song for the time "You Set The Scene" which was so different in how it was set up with the enlightened lyrics. That had to get some creative types going.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2008 :  21:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I listened to "Get By" yesterday as well, I also found no hint of "Doggone" but perhaps Kanye sampled George Suranovich's snare drum. Very subtle for sure, but Kanye pays that kind of attention to detail. Also, some of the bass line could have been sampled etc. Its hard to tell, in fact its a little disappointing for me because I wanted to hear some of the amazing guitar work sampled.

As far as Arthur being ahead of the curve, of course he was. The world seems to forget this man belongs in the same class as Lou Reed, Jim Morrison, John Lennon, and all of the other giants in rock music. Unfortunately things with Lee seem to continue (even in his passing) to progress slowly. Why is this man not on the cover of WaxPoetic ?

I have ideas on how to give him his due, but my god where does one begin?

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Merlyn Merlot
Fourth Love

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2008 :  04:16:15  Show Profile  Visit Merlyn Merlot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"""

I have ideas on how to give him his due, but my god where does one begin?

-Thomas
[/quote]

The Love Box Set Coming Soon from Rhino?
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2008 :  14:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somethin's operatin' and I don't know what it is....you know we had a fellow who I'll say was pretty "upfront" with everybody..active, had many many ideas and had no hesitation in getting in your face to let you know about it, never held back, a free-spirit, eh?.....but ironically he's just kind of outside of those other extroverts , i.e the rock giants....I scratch my head..I don't know is he getting some kind of payback? That is, are resentments affecting perhaps how people view him today?

And speaking of genres, yesterday I took a listen to She Comes in Colors...there's a harpsichord part in there....shades of the Baroque......;-)...
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2008 :  23:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Arthur Lee was a very hard to deal with African-American male, who burned many bridges. I have heard the stories, and from what I know of being African-American if you are rough and make people uncomfortable, you are more likely to be dismissed then if you are a hard to deal with white man. Not to mention when that is compounded with a lack of serious record sales, it all spells a very sad ending, one that may take a longer time than even I expected. Arthur made tons of enemies much like Anton Newcombe of The Brian Jonestown Massacre. Lee was certainly a product of the times, and more importantly a genius musician and amazing songwriter. A great man of immeserable talent, and unfortunately a truly, truly tortured soul.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

wendywhen
Second Love

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2008 :  19:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you say "from what I know of being an African American"???
Come now Mr Galasso...isn't that painting with a small bristle brush. Surely you must know a great deal about iy...you haven't turned Japanese on us now have you.
Some of the things I read here amaze me... I love it...truly!!!
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2008 :  20:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well Wendy,

I am glad that I could be here to amuse you. I am by the way, not Japanese in case you were wondering. I am still a 26 year old black man living in Los Angeles. And yes, I do happen to know a lot about Arthur Lee. Maybe too much. Hah, but its fun.

In any event, yes, from what I have learned being a young black man, there are certain things that I find to be true Wendy. Many people in the business world especially are threatened by the prospect of a wild black fellow, moreso than a wild white fellow. Case in point The Doors and Jim Morrison versus Love and Arthur. I believe Echols brings that very point up in Love Story.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

watchinallthapeople
Fourth Love

155 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2008 :  16:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see some other hip hop fans here
I love the little faux rap arthur did at the end of you set the scene (alternate mix)the best vesion of the classic song on the reissued CD
Don't know if anyone is familiar with the site
www.the-breaks.com
its a database where you can find the original song that has been sampled or vice versa
Its a good way to find out about older music and find the influences of artists you like
(If you search for Common, the roots, a tribe called quest, De La etc its a goldmine of info:)
for doggone it has

Out Here: (Blue Thumb 1969)
* "Doggone" (Drums)
Cibo Matto - "Sugar Water"
DJ Krush - "3rd Eye"
DJ Krush ft CL Smooth - "Only the Strong Survive"
DJ Shadow - "DJ Shadow's Theme"
Dr. Octagon - "Technical Difficulties"
Greyboy - "Parkside Bounce"
Hurricane - "Pass me the Gun"
New Kingdom - "Return of the Black Falcon"
Sixtoo - "Camino"
Talib Kweli - "Get By"
The Verve - "Bittersweet Symphony"

I'd be surprised if all these people are love fans i get the feeling that someone(probably Dj shadow eh) found the break then the others resampled it. I think that the verve song mentioned is actually the James lavelle mix of that track
PS anyone who likes hip hop and psychelia should have a listen to that bloke Edan
Go to Top of Page

watchinallthapeople
Fourth Love

155 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2008 :  16:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
update on that for all the geeks out there :)
just listened to doggone again and the sample for the verve remix is from 4:58 to 5:35
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2008 :  18:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watchinallthapeople

update on that for all the geeks out there :)
just listened to doggone again and the sample for the verve remix is from 4:58 to 5:35
Hey that's some "doggone" good detective work there, watchinall...
Go to Top of Page

wendywhen
Second Love

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2008 :  08:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Galasso
I was being facetious. I heard a deep discussion about this once backstage in London when Arthur and Joe Blocker were doing a radio interview. Arthur spoke very candidly about being the Acceptable Black Man as opposed to the Wild Black Man or as Mr Blocker put it "the Noble Savage Syndrome". I've always remembered that phrase. It was after the Royal Festival Hall Show. It was very crowded backstage and Mr Blocker arrived with John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin. Arthur eventually asked everyone except the interviewers and Mr Blocker to leave so I didn't get to hear the rest. Has anyone ever heard this interview. I've never seen it mentioned here.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2008 :  16:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thats good to know you were being facetious. This message board has proven in the past to be full on people from all over the world with a serious chip on their shoulders, and or just a bad attitude and nowhere to go with it. I cannot hear a tone in your voice or see a facial expression so....

Its an age old thing in the world of emails and text messaging. You have to be somewhat careful how you phrase things.

Joe Blocker is an amazing person, extremely funny and witty. I can only imagine what other cool things that he said. I met him at the funeral, and he was candid and full of great stories. Amazing guy.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page