New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2004 :  13:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the main venues to see bands in the 60's in Philadelphia was called The Electric Factory. It was an old converted tire warehouse, and had no seats or chairs. It had a little room with large mirrors on the wall so that when you walked by them, your image was distorted...either a long body with short legs, or a short body with long legs-the kind that you would see in carnivals.

The year was 1969. There was this band that was playing that I didn't know anything about. But for $2 on Thursday and Sunday night, and for $3 on Friday and Saturday night, I would frequent The Factory almost weekly, no matter who was playing. I was lightly amused just by the name of this band, and that was enough for me to see them.

From the first note, I knew I was in for one of the loudest bands I've heard. I thought that amplification was being brought to a new level. The first song was 'No Fun'. Four guys with just a ton of feedback coming from the lead guitar. They went on to "Real Cool Time", and the audience, including myself, were just sort of plastered. They continued to roll through their set, and at one point, the lead singer looked like he was ripping at his arms with his fingernails, and drawing what looked like blood in long scratches on his arms. They did a song called "I Wanna Be Your Dog", which mesmerized me.

They ended their set. The audience was stunned. I've never seen anything like this before. I mean it...the band just walked off stage and the audience were all sitting with their mouths open. It was like 'WTF just happenned?' Not one person applauded. Everyone and I mean everyone were just sitting on the floor with their mouths open. The band had blown everyone's mind.

The Stooges...1969. Iggy Stooge, Ron Asheton, Scott Asheton, Dave Alexander

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2006 :  17:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well let me be the first to say

Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2006 :  17:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allan sounds like a great show. I would say mine was Patti Smith in 1978, she absolutely rocked with more attitude and energy than 99% of the acts I've ever seen.
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2006 :  01:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan,

let ME be the first to say...

you lucky b*stard :)
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2006 :  02:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New album currently being recorded.
Go to Top of Page

BobbyFischer
Fifth Love

Norway
440 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2006 :  02:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This evening,Ray Davies at rockefeller Oslo!All day and all of the night,Till the end of the day,set me free and a shiver down the spine version of village green!Ive read in the Castle that Love at an early point used to cover among others The Kinks,wonder what song(s) and how they sounded!
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2006 :  07:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Til the End of the Day"... no joke!?!
I've been mucking around with that one lately, one of the greatest tunes! Surprisingly difficult chord structure, especially on the acoustic.
That's great!
Go to Top of Page

Arnstein
Fifth Love

Norway
340 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2006 :  14:01:34  Show Profile  Click to see Arnstein's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I MISSED THE RAY DAVIES CONCERT! DAMN!
Go to Top of Page

BobbyFischer
Fifth Love

Norway
440 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2006 :  18:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldnt agree more astrolobe!My favourite tune of the three classic Kinks garage songs,strangely its the less known of them.Arnstein:You have my deepest sympathy :)but Im sure he will come back to Oslo soon,especially after getting such a wild and cheering response from the audience even from the lesser known songs of the 70s and the new album,was a magic evening i will never forget!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page