Barney Hoskyns on Arthurly
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2007 :  23:38:32  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading Barney Hoskyns' book on AL. It was an ok read I guess. However, I was pretty disappointed with his take on AL's post Forever Changes music. He seems to be very dismissive of it all. Did anyone else find this? Having listened to the Blue Thumb recordings a lot recently and Four Sail and even 'Arthur Lee and Love', I find it pretty poor that Hoskyns fleeted over this part of AL's music career and made it was all but finished after FC.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

Edited by - Kula John on 18/12/2007 21:22:46

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2007 :  03:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree completely!

He's not the only one, though...the only negative with FC was that it was such a masterpiece that anything after it was bound to be perceived as a lesser work.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2007 :  09:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Me too - in fact I was really put off Hoskyns' book by his totally unwarrented dismissal of 'Four Sail'and 'Out Here'. I have made similar comments concerning John Tobler in 'Love Zig Zag Treasure' (below).
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2007 :  14:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the book as well and I guess he's like everybody else... entitled to his opinion just like all of us around here. I did take way from the book the idea about Arthur being a "prophet" but the more I think of those times the more I think he wasn't a prophet per se but just someone who didn't get fooled by what was going around him. Told it like it was when he held up the busted flowerpot. On the other hand, he was right on with "prophecy" for making lines like the "news today will be the movies for tomorrow".
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2007 :  17:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was pretty disapointed with Hoskyns take on A.L. as well.. i remember him saying smething like " post forever changes,not one song was as good as the weakest song on LOVE( the 1st. album". Utter crap.
Still i thought the book a better read than the FOREVER CHANGES book in the 33+3rd. series...i actualy took that one back and got a re-fund.
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2007 :  22:22:22  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ALLANAGAIN

I was pretty disapointed with Hoskyns take on A.L. as well.. i remember him saying smething like " post forever changes,not one song was as good as the weakest song on LOVE( the 1st. album". Utter crap.
Still i thought the book a better read than the FOREVER CHANGES book in the 33+3rd. series...i actualy took that one back and got a re-fund.

Yep, that's pretty much what he said Allan. Crazy talk, and quite bewildering really. Gives you no confidence in the author.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

TJSAbass
Fourth Love

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2007 :  01:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoskyns doesn't seem to have much good to say about anything, really. I haven't seen the book on Arthur, but Waiting For the Sun, his book on the LA scene, although informative at times, always manages to see the dark side of it all. His glass is definitely half empty.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2007 :  15:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the book on Arthur Lee remains to be written. Maybe Ben Fong- Torres, Sid Griffin and David Myer might want to do it later on.
(they all did books on Gram Parsons-a guy who like Arthur went his own way)
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2007 :  01:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoskyns book on Arthur is not much further than the interview he did for MOjo with Bryan. Personally I think he loves Forever changes but he is unable to dis associate the artist Arthur with the person Arthur.. Therefore he is not keen on Arthur. He has been very dismissive of anything Mr Lee in anything he has written which is OK as I have been very dismissive of Mr Hoskyns....in anything
Go to Top of Page

barbinberkeley
Fourth Love

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2007 :  03:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't read the book, but I find it nauseating how some people make a living out of dissing the artistry of others much greater than themselves. I also haven't had the chance to hear anything much of post FC Arthur Lee. I love that album, but I find myself playing Love the first album more often. Maybe because there was less money put into the production it seems purer to me. Pure Arthur Lee, and the rest of Love doing the best with what they had available at the time. Electrifying. When I listen to it in my car I turn the volume high, and the vibrations come out the speakers and start hitting me in the knees and radiating through the rest of my body. By the time it's over, I'm happier and stronger than before. Works every time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page