Survival of the Spirit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

otis robb
Third Love

50 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2004 :  23:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone familar with one of the young jazz lions of today?
Monte Croft??? Pretty much 'discovered' by the late great vibraphonist Milt Jackson. It was a very special occasion on May 12th 1990 that the young and profoundly gifted Monte was given the 'opportunity'to grace the stage at the VILLAGE VANGUARD along this living legend. He has a very interesting delievery of not only being a superb vocalist but also HIMSELF plays vibraphone and piano.
A great introdution to him is the first album that was released on him as a full fledged band leader, 'Survival of the Spirit' and just the stellat lineup alone on these swinging/blowing sessions is more than worth the price of admission. (more so than spending time watching Colin Blunstone 'hand groovin it' on the last couple of their shows, did anyone ask for their money back??)
There is so much to say about this guy but all in all he for the most part has his own style of doing things. A touch of McCoy Tyner here(piano) Bobby Hutchinson soundscapes there(vibes) and a healthy dose of Donny Hathaway phrasing laced with the upper register/timbre of another legendary brother, Jimmy Scott right smack dab in the middle. One of the outstanding 'vocal' tracks says it all -
'ELLA EDDIE JON AND BETTY' in which this fine young enthusiast pays homage to some of the past 'greats' of all time - Ella Fitzgerald, Eddie Jefferson, Jon Hendricks, and Betty Carter.
Ella Eddie Jon and Betty
Singin/Wingin
Scattin/Swingin
Ella What Can You Really Say about the first lady of swing & song
Her Art is timeless Oh yes she's priceless
Oh Ella for my heart forever belongs to Ella
Youre my thrill I love you and always will
Eddie Jefferson
There he goes there he goes
There he goes have to find the right words to put on a solo -
by Lester young Woody or Bird
When he starts singing with that soulful sound every single group will come down
Hendricks, NOT JIMI But JON
Give him a little space and all the squares will be gone
Looking so neat digging on his feet
He'll come up with line so sweet I Hope to come up and compete
Betty Carter
Hold on to him tight Is what she said
ITs jazz Its nothing but soul
Betty hits and is determine to swing
Now the sista is on a roll
with a style that no once can reall quite cow (intimidate)
Here's hoping that she will never stop.

Wont say anymo about this fella except that I believe you'll be very please what your ears will hear....till the next

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2004 :  17:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hooray for you, Otis! Monte Croft is fantastic! He's absolutely revered by the jazz cogniscenti here in NYC. I do not understand why this incredible musician has not had more "fame" (or as much fame as a jazz musician gets). Have you heard his "Innervisions" Stevie Wonder tribute show? I saw it last year at B.B. Kings here in NYC. Incredible! Wonderful!

I just posted a long post to your "favorite jazz pianists" post but it didn't go through! I don't have time now to re-do it! Darn!
Go to Top of Page

jazzy mary
Third Love

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  17:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Otis, where have you gone????
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: