New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2007 :  13:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just listen to this - I've only just heard it myself. Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman talk very widely and very freely to John Dennis upon the release of the new Byrds' box set from last year. Normally interviewers only want to ask about Mr Tambourine Man and Eight Miles High - but John Dennis takes them right through the Byrds career: Dylan, Gene Clark, Crosby, Younger Than Yesterday, Notorious Byrd Brothers, Sweetheart, Gram Parsons, Flying Burrito Brothers and Clarence White - the best of its kind I've ever heard.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/podcasts/2006/10/the_byrds.html

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2007 :  14:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
john9..thanks...yes, this was sooooo good and certainly because they're one of my top top bands of all time...if you see Jon Dennis floating around on the streets over there tell him he does a great podcast..why?..because he lets the guys speak and asks the right questions......got to know stuff I wasn't aware of like I knew Gram was rich but man was he rich!...picking up $250,000 a year at the bank...not bad not bad.......As Hillman said they made some great records...and yes I agree as they do... they should never reform...the records are what they are when they were......
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  05:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what rocker said. this guy is a wonderful interviewer.
thanks.

Edited by - ed the bear on 01/11/2007 05:22:59
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  15:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Ed and Rocker. I especially liked Hillman's comment about what the group might have achieved if only the original five had managed to stay together - I think that, creatively at least, they would have continued to give The Beatles a good run for their money. Mind you, you never really know. Gene Clark was such a prolific songwriter that had he stayed, Crosby and Hillman may never have had the chance to step forward in the way they did on 'Younger Than Yesterday' and 'Notorious'. And maybe the high quality work that Crosby would come up with between 1968 and 1972 was at least in part down to the fact that he felt that he had a point to prove. There would almost certainly have been no 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo', and therefore no 'Gilded Palace of Sin'.....and in the long run, no 'Untitled'. Ah.... the great ifs of history!

Edited by - John9 on 01/11/2007 15:45:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page