New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2007 :  14:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps some of you know this but where are the original FC masters as well as all the others? Were they thrown out? Sold? Stolen? In a vault in Russia? I've just noticed that other artists can put out records saying "from the original masters" or some such.

MHM
Third Love

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2007 :  21:44:41  Show Profile  Visit MHM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The story goes that Paul Rothchild had the tapes For FC but it's just a rumour. His son, since his death in 1995, apparantly isn't keen to go through all his belongings to dig out the various tapes that have been requested. The one flaw to the theory is Paul Rothchild wasn't directly involved with Forever Changes, although he was the main in-house producer at Elektra Records, and was involved on the 1st two albums, Arthur & Bruce Botnick produced Forever Changes.
Personally, although it'd be great if they ever showed up, I am starting to think they are probably living in the same parallel universe as the Gethsemene album!

www.BryanMacLean.com www.MileHighMusic.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2007 :  13:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting MHM...thanks....maybe there is a possibility they could trun up and we can get some sonic surprises from the record...for me I'm kind of interested in hearing that "Alone Again Or" track with Bryan miked up top and NOT Arthur as it got released that way...I don't know..has anybody here heard it somewhere?...some of you guys are certainly more plugged in than me to that earlier time!...
Go to Top of Page

dave
Second Love

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2007 :  14:38:09  Show Profile  Visit dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
there is a version knocking around (that i found on a p2p site, that is supposedly a dub of the promo acetate that has bryan's vocals higher in the mix...

i did send it to torben to check out when i came across it...can't remember if he posted it on the site or not...

"oh the snot has caked against my pants.........it has turned into crystal"
Go to Top of Page

MHM
Third Love

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2007 :  21:58:09  Show Profile  Visit MHM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that different to the one issued as an extra on the FC reissue? If so, let us hear it!

There is supposed to be alot more electric rhythm guitar on FC than appeared on the final mix. They were, apparantly, backed off so it became a warmer sound with the strings etc. Listening to the parts that do have electric rhythm, I'd imagine it was just more clean sounding electric guitar but it'd still be interesting to hear the album mixed like Da Capo & Love, a 'band' mix, two guitars, drums, bass, with & without strings & horns, that'd be some boxset to sit alongside Pet Sounds!!

Go to Top of Page

dave
Second Love

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  13:51:08  Show Profile  Visit dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok...

i've uploaded the version to myspace.com/unknownfunk

titled AAO...

see what you think...

i'm only going to leave it up for there for 1 week for copyright reasons..

cheers.

Go to Top of Page

dave
Second Love

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  14:33:39  Show Profile  Visit dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
..of course it's entirely possible that its the same as the alternate version on the fc remaster....

Go to Top of Page

MHM
Third Love

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  14:04:35  Show Profile  Visit MHM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cheers Dave, it does sound like the same one to me but not 100% def, certainly not radically different. Shame no one could chase up Rothchild's son just to see if there is actually any weight in the rumour.

Go to Top of Page

dave
Second Love

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  17:53:02  Show Profile  Visit dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not radically different no but comparing the 2 versions has made it obvious that on these versions, bryans voice is the prominent vocal and is about as high in the mix as you need...
so it seems that on the single edit, bryan got his way?

Go to Top of Page

MHM
Third Love

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  23:05:54  Show Profile  Visit MHM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, to be fair to him, he's isn't allowed to sing the lead part, the natural lead part that he does on the demos from IfYouBelieveIn, so as you say, I don't think you'd want the part he is doing any higher. Remembering something I read ages ago about the recording session, that I think is backed up in Michael Stuart's book, Bryan, Arthur & Michael, who sang the low part, all sang together around a mic, so even if the multi-track tapes ever actually did show up, it's very likely that you wouldn't be able to remix the vocal parts anyway. The album was recorded on 8 track machines, for all but EMI/Abbey Rd 16 track was a year or so off still, so after you take a track for bass, drums, guitars, strings & horns etc, it's doubtful they mixed those things down - bounced - to leave three tracks to layer the vocals & so, as was common in recording practice at the time, the band would do them live together in passes at one or two mics mixed to one track on the tape.
I'm just interested to hear if somewhere burried on the tape are the electric rhythm guitars that have been mentioned during various interviews but only pop up here and there on the actual album. It's likely that they were actually recorded - as per the You Mind & We session - live when the bass and drums were cut. They could well've been wiped to add other instruments but it'd be great to hear what's hiding on the tape.

Go to Top of Page

dave
Second Love

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  14:49:32  Show Profile  Visit dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i thought the theory was, arthurs vocal on AAO was the harmony but he pushed it up front?
if so , that means the version with bryans vocal as the lead is as intended?

anyway...

what i'd really like to hear is recordings with the band arthur put together just before he passed...as featured in mojo.

Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  21:09:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Its a crazy story as to who has the original master tapes. I found out from a friend who was doing some research regarding an official release of Black Beauty. I found out around the time of the UCLA showing of Love Story. I have a feeling however the dude who has the tapes isn't going to come off of them anytime soon, as his story goes that Arthur himself stole the tapes from Elektra and then handed them to him along with tapes for Vindicator and other albums.

The question is what would happen to the person currently holding those tapes? Would they be lawfully in trouble, or would they be able to sell the tapes or what ?

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  21:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well it's interesting to know that the original tapes appear to be still around..I'll just have to say Thomas that you know when there's R-A-R-E stuff like this going around crazy things can happen when moolah eventually starts being bandied about.....things that were once hidden go poof and there there!....
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  13:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas

If what you say is true, then wouldn't it be 'receiving stolen property'?

Allan
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  13:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas, in the interests of fun rumours and new legends :), any other details you can share regarding which albums are alleged to be held by The Dude With The Tapes?
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  04:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

To my knowledge, the fellow with the tapes only has those. I heard that he once had more than that, but gave it back to Arthur. Its hard to say what is true and what is hearsay, but I do feel like, he has the FC tapes. I could be wrong, but thats what he said to my close friend. He seemed oblivious, that there is any need for him to do something with all of that, from what I gather its like he was just doing his deceased friend a favor and is keeping his honor by holding onto the tapes like he asked him to.

-Thomas

I lost all of my live recordings of Reel to Real from the Electric Gardens as well as the live stuff from Winterland, and some 1970 recordings that were once available here. Can anyone help me out?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page