New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  12:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just spoken with BGO Records who say that the new edition of 'Vindicator' (originally due on October 1) may not appear now until next year. Apparently the DAT has not arrived yet - and so the actual manufacture is still some little way down the line. Still, I am sure that it will look and sound all the sweeter when we do eventually get it.

Edited by - John9 on 12/10/2007 12:47:36

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2007 :  00:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I've just spoken with BGO Records who say that the new edition of 'Vindicator' (originally due on October 1) may not appear now until next year. Apparently the DAT has not arrived yet - and so the actual manufacture is still some little way down the line. Still, I am sure that it will look and sound all the sweeter when we do eventually get it.

\

KD: Here's hoping they improve the print job of the cover. They botched it up last time - waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too dark.
That photo of Arthur backstage in the dressing room with the open
umbrella has got to be my fav Arthur Lee pic of all time.

That dude was out there !

Free the umbrellas !
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2007 :  20:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was quite pissed off about this as i still havnt heard the album but while in Brussels at the weekend I found the LP i almost died when i saw it.it looks like a new print though anyone know about it being in print?I assumed that it would have been out of print.
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2007 :  22:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alone Again

I was quite pissed off about this as i still havnt heard the album but while in Brussels at the weekend I found the LP i almost died when i saw it.it looks like a new print though anyone know about it being in print?I assumed that it would have been out of print.

I very seriously doubt it's a new print on vinyl, I expect you just got real lucky!
Go to Top of Page

MHM
Third Love

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2007 :  23:03:53  Show Profile  Visit MHM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I picked up the CD with all the extra tracks on it some years back in Greenwich. Is the new release the same or just the original track does anyone know? The artwork was very dark on mine but the sound was good and the extras were a real bonus as were the sleeve notes from re-mix producer Sid Griffin. It was on A&M Records, remastered, I'm sure you'd pick it up for under a tenner on Ebay, yep, just checked and there's a nice one on there right now. If I were the greedy type, I'd grab it as it's a slightly different issue to mine!

It's not classic Love by any stretch of the imagination but this album unlike most other Arthur Lee stuff after False Start actually does stand up, as long as you remember this an Arthur Lee album and listen to it on it's own merits and don't constantly compare it to the first 3 Love albums. The band are tight, the playing is good and more so than other post FC albums, the recording quality is good, probably down to just using a decent studio. Much stronger all round I personally feel than alot of the stuff on Out Here, this actually feels like an album rather than a bunch of picked recordings. Anyway, well worth the ten quid or so it'd cost you to grab it!

Chris

www.BryanMacLean.com www.MileHighMusic.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2007 :  12:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that there are probably a number of ersatz 'Vindicators' out there. An edition that I got on Ebay is on its way to me from Finland and I have discussed this in a topic a little lower down the page - I am uncertain of its true origin - I suspect that it might Russian. I suppose that this sort of thing is is bound to happen with any hard to find album - especially with today's technology. The only legitimate CD releases of Arthur Lee's little gem, I'm aware of were both from A&M: the very dark blue one (with Sid Griffin's notes and the bonus tracks)and an earlier Japanese version (without the bonus tracks but with the original bright blue cover). When the LP was released in the UK in September 1972 its cover was darker than the American original - but more significantly, it had been slimmed down from its attractive gatefold sleeve. We were really being ripped off by record companies back then - a similar fate had befallen Jon Mitchell's 'Clouds' a couple of years before.

Edited by - John9 on 24/10/2007 12:20:14
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2007 :  16:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The LP copy that i bought in Belgium wasnt a gatefold & the collage of pictures was just a print out.i was a bit wary of this but it looked official otherwise.

Edited by - Alone Again on 24/10/2007 16:10:22
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2007 :  14:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only just got a chance to listen to the LP i got as my record player wasnt workin.its a bit strange the track listing is normal but theres two extra songs that aren't listed on each side.on the first side theres 'He Knows A Lot Of Good Women' and another 'He Said She Said', on the second side there's another 'He Said She Said' and 'Easy Rider'
Any ideas what i bought?is it a fake or just some strange re-issue?
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2007 :  15:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alone Again - I cannot for the life of me think what you have there. I thought that I was really out on the edge of things with my ebay purchase. As far as I know (but I could be wrong) the bonus tracks only came to light when the cd edition of the album was prepared a decade or so ago. Given that the album now seems to enjoy cult status, I suppose that it is always going to be worth someones while to knock up a fake and then pass it off as legit.......and all for commercial gain.....I despair I really do! I've come across this sort of thing more than once on Amazon. And what really takes the biscuit is that these counterfeit copies more often than not carry 'copywrite protection' and 'applicable laws' notices! Of course for the truly memorable rip-off experience with cds you really cannot beat the street markets of Hong Kong. Anyway let's hope that we don't have to wait too long for the BGO release - despite the mess-up with the DAT.

Edited by - John9 on 26/10/2007 16:08:24
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2007 :  01:47:57  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
while awaiting the new cd release, i've noticed on my LP A&M gate album , on the vinyl lable is printed, "March 7, 1945- 4:40.
that's Arthur's date of birth plus "4:40", whatever that is. any ideas? anyhoo, the photo of Arthur surrounded by tiny little pigeons is (his hobby),cool! Dr. Hyde is Arthur!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2007 :  08:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the '4.40' reference is also on the Russian mini replica version I have recently received. I wonder if it is perhaps his time of birth. As for the pigeons, one of the few really discernable differences to me between the bonus tracks and the previously released versions is that the pigeons on 'Pencil in Hand'are far less distinct than they are 'He Said She Said'. I think that the only really worthwhile extra track is 'E-Z Rider'- which is excellent - but then so was the Hendrix original. Love did that one at Liverpool in 1975 as an encore - along with 'Singing Cowboy'.

Edited by - John9 on 30/10/2007 10:40:09
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2007 :  14:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

that's Arthur's date of birth plus "4:40", whatever that is.

yep... 4:40 P.M.

see:
http://poisgoneforever.blogspot.com/2007/10/like-sun-stars-and-moon.html

Arthur's "natal chart."
You have to scroll down a little bit.
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  16:05:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just bought it, didnt even know it was out yet but saw it and had to get it (it was that or Candy's Waltz).its in a slipcase like that on the remastered 'Forever Changes' or 'Love' albums.the cover isnt too dark and theres a nice 20 page booklet with new liner notes and lyrics.same bonus tracks as before.havnt gotten round to listening to it as am in college & theres no sound cards in these comps.
Go to Top of Page

razortotinjim
Second Love

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  23:33:48  Show Profile  Visit razortotinjim's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A bit expensive for a single disc, ($21+) but I received an e-mail today from Amazon.com and VINDICATOR is now available!

I'm always on the look-out for more live LOVE. Let's set-up a trade!?!
http://db.etree.org/razortotinjim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page