Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  14:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know there's supposed to be this resurgence of "vinyl". Maybe it'll bring back the art. If anybody sees some good new record art I think we'd all like to know about it....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  22:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coming back to this (no New ones yet, rocker), I remember really tripping over "Revolver"...quite a nice piece of art!

Also....

Big Pink-the Band

Ten Years After-SHHHHH...really a trip!

Savoy Brown-Raw Sienna

Highway 61 Revisited...Bob looking dapper and cool

Wheels of Fire.....open that gate fold with those psychedelic eyes inside!

Magical Mystery Tour...the whole thing with the book n' all.

MORRISON HOTEL...Jac Holzman told me it was his favorite cover from Elektra...ever! It is beautiful.

Crosby Stills & Nash..first LP and second LP were pretty cool!

That portrait of Neil Young on his first LP was a great one too!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 16/04/2010 22:06:17
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2013 :  16:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just want to share this one about the Beatles' White Album...I hink this is really interestuing and some here no doubt are involved!...

There's an artist now who, in his installation called "We Buy White Albums", shows off in bins several hundred copies of the White Album he owns. He was fascinated by the white cover and the changes in how the covers ages. From that, he wanted to show the ramifications of that aging process on the record. Each album he got has a "story", i.e written on, different marks, etc. Right now he's buying for his collection of 694 that he has. There are supposedly 3 million out there and all numbered. I checked ine an it sure has a 'story' if you gte the drift. Go on check yours!!!...;-)...Btw, the cool artist is Rutherford Chang. He says his project is 'artwork about artwork'.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2013 :  16:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no Love album covers?

or Dylan's Shot of Love? or Saved?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2013 :  17:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In no particular order....original vinyl, I have them all

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk

Edited by - lemonade kid on 23/02/2013 17:24:35
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2013 :  16:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no Love album covers?

The fellow is just working w only the Double album from the Beatles.

So lk is your orig of FC a "pristine" white? Mine is kind of a pale brown but more to a dull white now!!!!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2013 :  17:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

no Love album covers?

The fellow is just working w only the Double album from the Beatles.

So lk is your orig of FC a "pristine" white? Mine is kind of a pale brown but more to a dull white now!!!!

It is pretty mint---no wear or corner bends, just a very little off-white aging on the edges, but still in the opened shrink. The vinyl is near mint, original brown/gold Elektra label. My s/t & Da Capo are also NM.

-lk
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2013 :  17:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it fair to mention the Mothers' "We're Only In It For The Money" or is this one just considered blatant "Sgt. Pepper's" rip-off?I once read a list on the internet of the five most classic covers.The far most interesting choice was the Fabs' "White Album" despite the fact that there's nothing really there but the band's very moniker.However,I DEFINITELY choose this one for one of the best overall ALBUM PACAKGES what with the giveaway poster complete with song lyrics and,of course,the wonderful individual photos of Liverpool's greatest exports.Saw the "Sticky Fingers" "working zipper" cover a few times at a nearby shop.Should have grabbed it.I absolutely will grab the "Majesties Request" 3-D package as soon as possible.I kinda like the front jacket design from "Smiley Smile" in all of it's hurdy gurdy swirly psychedelic lettering glory.I'm also a fan of the "out-of-focus shots such as the ones seen on "Between the Buttons" as well as the first Ten Years After release.Highly symbolic,really,as the whole generation seemed to be taking things out of the old ways of world vision and re-structuring young peoples'
perspectives.

"You Say You Want A Revolution..........
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2013 :  17:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really I kind of miss all that activity with record covers, artwork etc.
Thosee who did that stuff sure got down-sized, eh? "Progress" marches on ,eh?
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2013 :  19:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like in the Kenny interview (Discoveries?) where hes referring to FChanges as the white album
and saying its better than the Beatles own White Album

Probably true, and as The White Album is definitely a peak for the Beatles..

I mean wasn't the single from that album "Hey Jude"
(not that the single was on the album, but Hey Jude was '68)

Christ

Can see why Pete Shotton thought it more commercial than its flip! (Hey Jude b/w Revolution)
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2013 :  20:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

Is it fair to mention the Mothers' "We're Only In It For The Money" or is this one just considered blatant "Sgt. Pepper's" rip-off?I once read a list on the internet of the five most classic covers.The far most interesting choice was the Fabs' "White Album" despite the fact that there's nothing really there but the band's very moniker.However,I DEFINITELY choose this one for one of the best overall ALBUM PACAKGES what with the giveaway poster complete with song lyrics and,of course,the wonderful individual photos of Liverpool's greatest exports.Saw the "Sticky Fingers" "working zipper" cover a few times at a nearby shop.Should have grabbed it.I absolutely will grab the "Majesties Request" 3-D package as soon as possible.I kinda like the front jacket design from "Smiley Smile" in all of it's hurdy gurdy swirly psychedelic lettering glory.I'm also a fan of the "out-of-focus shots such as the ones seen on "Between the Buttons" as well as the first Ten Years After release.Highly symbolic,really,as the whole generation seemed to be taking things out of the old ways of world vision and re-structuring young peoples'
perspectives.

"You Say You Want A Revolution..........

right, captn.

Advice from a record collector's guide:

"If you have searched for a cherished vinyl for years with no luck, and finally come across that scarce album in collectable condition, grab it up on the spot!"

You may never see it again, or if you do somewhere down the line, it will likely cost you much more.

I have those you mention. And "We're Only in It For The Money" is not a rip-off of Peppers..it's pure satire about the whole 60's hippie scene through the eyes and ears of Frank Zappa. A brilliant album that always makes every top 60's LPs list.

The iside art was supposing to be the outside for the gatefold, but lawsuits were feared by VERVE...mine is a BLUE label original promo LP! Not this one.

Outside gatefold...

The zipper jacket disappeared fairly quickly from record store shelves for good; it was changed to just a photo..the real zipper caused damage to many LPs, so inspect your vinyl before buying.

I have a bubble wrap around mine to protect other lps too, and a heavy duty inner sleeve.

-lk

Edited by - lemonade kid on 25/02/2013 21:03:45
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2013 :  19:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't believe I failed to mention the front designs of Cream's ultra-essential "Disraeli Gears" and "Wheels Of Fire" as well as the hereby previously posted "Magical Mystery Tour" package.I'll never forget all the times I thumbed through the 24-page booklet in sheer frustration wondering what the actual MOVIE was like.Of course,we all remember the days when the now cult classic film was only available for US viewership at cult theaters and annual Beatle conventions.Also,more than honorable mention is due to an artistic venture known as Hipnogsis,who created wonderful jackets for Pink Floyd,including the one for "Dark Side Of The Moon",which has dutifully stood the test of time as one of the band's trademarks along with the "flying pig" often seen at large venue performances.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  15:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked again now real close to my orig FC record that I've had for all the years. Man it's not the pure white anymore that I remember. I think I have to get a new one and place it alongside each other on my den wall....kind of an "FC moment" if you get the drift...change comes to everything and marches on.....
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  18:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a long time there was a certain inherent mysteriousness to the FC sleeve until I just recently discovered it was in the shape of the human heart.A friend once actually suggested it might have been the shape of Africa,which many people believe to be the true birthplace of human civilization.Does anyone know who designed the jacket?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  18:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

For a long time there was a certain inherent mysteriousness to the FC sleeve until I just recently discovered it was in the shape of the human heart.A friend once actually suggested it might have been the shape of Africa,which many people believe to be the true birthplace of human civilization.Does anyone know who designed the jacket?

Bob Pepper.

-lk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page