New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2007 :  06:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

A while back there was a thread that had some mentionings of Black Beauty. At one point there seemed to be confusion as to who actually produced the album. A friend of mine who actually played on the album, and then Reel to Real, and then Five String Serenade told me exactly who produced this 1973 outing.

It was in fact Paul Rothchild. We actually spoke of this about four days or so ago. The album was originally to only have nine tracks with the opening track being titled "Waiting on the Seventh Sun" not "Good & Evil". In fact Arthur says "I'm young and able, going to set the table". Makes sense.

"Lonely Man" is actually called "Lonely Pig" as the song was about the police. That version of "With A Little Energy" that appears on bootlegs was actually recorded for the unreleased More Changes I found out as well.

Hope this helps

-Thomas

And for anyone who cares, the song "Beep Beep" was written by both Arthur and Melvan Whittington.

wendywhen
Second Love

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2007 :  05:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Melvan Whittington actually told me something completely different in LA a few years ago. He told me that Arthur produced that record and Paul Rothchild only came in at the mix stage..but there you go. I guess it really doesn't matter until we get a release date.

BTW...
AL does not say "I'm young and able, going to set the table...he says " I'm young and able, Don't wanna set the table. there is also a song called "Skid (not really a friend)" which was written by Riley Racer, Arthur's chilhood friend

According to my research the only musicians on that mysterious record are Messrs. Melvan Whittington, Arthur Lee, Joe Blocker and Robert Rozzelle. From my one conversation with AL in London 2003 I can tell you that Melvan Whittington was his favourite guitarist and Joe Blocker his favourite drummer. That's from his own mouth. I sure hope those tapes turn up some day.

these things from the "not-so-deep archives of Love"
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2007 :  05:42:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well,

There it is. In fact I met Riley at the funeral, and saw him about two months ago in Sherman Oaks, while I was driving by. The song is actually just called "Skid" according to a friend who played on the record, and Michael Butler himself. Butler may have his facts straight, but the people to ask about this would most likely be, Mark Linn, Robert Rozelle, Joe Blocker, and Michael Butler. They would know. I have some inside knowledge on this record. During this time period I know Arthur would meet Martha Reeves, and they would record at the Record Plant.

The tapes are lost from what I have been told. Michael said the last place he remembers them is being at the Aquarius Theatre in the attic. Those attics have been cleaned out for at least 15 years and is now the Nickelodeon Theatre. In fact I believe they are set to tear the place down.

Also, I think John Sterling is on the record playing some guitar.

Go to Top of Page

wendywhen
Second Love

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2007 :  18:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had forgotten about the Martha Reeves story. Robert Rozzelle told me that story some years ago.. I totally agree with you. When the questions come up as to AL's "lost years" the people to ask are Messrs. Rozzelle, Blocker, Whittington and Sterling. Inmy one conversation with AL he spoke much more fondly of these people than any other band of his. It seems that they were really friends as oppossed to simply hired hands, although they were that as well. I find it hard to think of Vindicator, R2R and Black Beauty as LOVE albums. To my ear they are AL solo efforts bearing the Love name... except Vindicator.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2007 :  06:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I must say that from what I have heard all things point to your above statement as being true. Arthur seems to have spent more quality time with Rozelle, Blocker, Whittington etc. And while they may not have been his most iconic group they seemed to have been the closest. To my knowledge Black Beauty was to be an Arthur Lee solo effort, not a Love album.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

razortotinjim
Second Love

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2007 :  17:21:40  Show Profile  Visit razortotinjim's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this is a great conversation, thanks for sharing

I'm always on the look-out for more live LOVE. Let's set-up a trade!?!
http://db.etree.org/razortotinjim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page