New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  20:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michaelangelo Antonioni (September 29, 1912 - July 30, 2007), director of the films "Blow Up" and "Zabriskie Point" died last week, on the same day as another great filmmaker, Ingmar Bergman (b. July 14, 1918).

R.I.P.

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  21:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing isn't it, I remember seeing their films in the 60's at the Brattle Theater in Cambridge.
(just as an aside: It came to mind that John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on the same day as well...hmm.)
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  15:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes great film makers...but complicated!!...
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  16:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

yes great film makers...but complicated!!...

Not especially happy films from either of them, were they. Antonioni with the existential malaise, and Bergman so intense and cerebral.
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  17:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

Amazing isn't it, I remember seeing their films in the 60's at the Brattle Theater in Cambridge.
(just as an aside: It came to mind that John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on the same day as well...hmm.)

I didn't remember that. And so did John F. Kennedy and Aldous Huxley! In very different ways in their case of course.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  18:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah you wouldn't get "Singin' In the Rain" with Ingmar...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  11:31:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Strangely, I had seen the new print of Bergman's 'The Seventh Seal' only a few days before his passing - and I had found it much more fascinating and thought provoking than I ever did before. As for Antonioni - seeing 'The Passenger' in 1975 was a kind of coming of age for me. For the first time I began to appreciate how intelligent cinema can do so much more than tell a story. Both directors have left us with a wonderful legacy.
Go to Top of Page

Arnstein
Fifth Love

Norway
340 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2007 :  01:07:05  Show Profile  Click to see Arnstein's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love Bergman! I have The Seventh Seal, Hour of the Wolf, Persona and Autumn Sonata! Love them!

And you must not forget that also Michel Serrault died the same week! Seems like Death don't have vacation in the summer, unfortunately.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2007 :  14:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read a bit on Scorsese who really can't get enough of Antonioni and his films. Antonioni affected his work very much.
I'd say Arthur fits in here pretty well in that he also (through his music as opposed to film) just like Bergman and Antonioni focused on the "human condition". And as Morrison said, "no one here gets out alive", we all do what we can while we hang around, eh???..;-)....
L'Avventura's the one which got Scorsese going. Also, Blow-Up is another good film which I'm sure everyone here is familiar with.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page