Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

radiopete
First Love

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2007 :  05:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am among kindred spirits who know creative genius when it flashes before us. We caught Aruthur's brilliance without much help from commercial radio, the same "vehicle" that treated other "superstars" far better, including those who also emerged from the L.A. folk-rock scene.

"Forever Changes" is golden, but my vote goes to "Four Sail", an album barely mentioned in the Rolling Stone obit. "Four Sail is monumental for two reasons:

1) it captured the mood of the world perfectly. The spellbinding, intense raga "August" was reacorded at the same time that Chicago police were splitting open heads at the Democratic National Convention. Jay Donellan's Coltranesque guitar solo (comparable to Roger McGuin's solo on "8 Miles High") still makes your hair stand on end -- espeically when you understand the mood of the times when it was recorded. Every song on "Four Sail" is solid. My personal favorite is the autobiographical "Dream" for Arthur's words and voice filled with vulnerability -- and for the sweetest complimentary guitar solo EVER; the first seven notes of the solo go up the scale and soar from there. (Whatever became of Jay?)
2) Arthur assembled the "Four Sail" group from scratch and wound up with one of the best guitar quartet albums of the day...this after the orchestral masterpiece of "Forever Changes". It was a whole new thing, and Arthur nailed it.

The Rolling Stone obit metions that Arthur hated to tour, which was a big factor in his relative obscurity. For whatever reasons, the "hip" FM djs were just clueless to the possibilities (example: segue "Dream" with "A Day In The Life" and see what happens) Due to the lack of radio airplay over the decades WATCH FOR A YOUNG UPSTART GROUP TO RECORD ARTHUR'S MATERIAL, and watch as most of us assume it is new work.

Somewhere, justice will prevail.

Susan B.
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2007 :  08:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad Rodney wasn't DJing back then.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2007 :  14:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
radiopete..just to add... I liked Four Sail as well and thought it was a well-produced record..for me it was Arthur's next best work after FC..I don't' know how others feel but I liked his work because he was engaged and deeply introspective with all that was going around him and at the same time he could express what he was thinking and feeling pretty uniquely. There are some poignant songs on the record...For me "Always See Your Face" and "I'm With You" were open windows on his life...all in all his life as an artist wasn't easy that's for sure...
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2007 :  01:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said, Radiopete!! 4 SAIL is my personal favourite Love album, a real work of creative genius, i agree. The whole feel of the album from start to last is electric, and sounds like a band playing live at points. As a pyschedelic rock album for those who love gutar, it,s up there with the very best JIMMI, SPIRIT et al, you are the only other Love fan i,ve met on here whose fave album is 4 SAIL. So we are in aminnority, LO.L. I think this line up of Love is the best ever, "SINGING COBOY" AUGUST" ALLWAYS SEEYOUR FACE" all killer tracks...LOVE at their very finest!!
Go to Top of Page

bigrubberglove
Fourth Love

188 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2007 :  04:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another vote for Four Sail:

http://www.bigtakeover.com/essays/15-underrated-albums

Love—Four Sail

Talk about a tough act to follow! Conventional wisdom has it that after Love’s first three records, culminating with the brilliance of Forever Changes, Arthur Lee lost his creative muse. Not so! Four Sail is extremely good (as fellow BT blogger Matt Berlyant quite accurately pointed out recently) and is in my opinion better than Love’s much-ballyhooed eponymous debut. Influenced by Jimi Hendrix’s then rising star and brand of fiery guitar playing, Lee traded in the orchestral/folk majesty of Forever Changes for a more propulsive assault. A key reason why Four Sail succeeds is because it has fantastic songs and oodles of sweet melodies. Of note: “August,” which features George Suranovich’s machine gun like drumming and a wailing guitar that could attract a pack of alley cats in heat on a cold January night.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2007 :  14:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, a "lost late 60's classic"...allan..for me, if FC didn't make the scene well Four Sail would be the one..always big with me...Arthur's showing that he didn't have a "one-track" mind...lots of varied styles that make the record so listenable...
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2007 :  19:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(Whatever became of Jay?)

Jay posts here from time to time, and has been doing a little recording too.
Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2007 :  03:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The band imploded before FM Rock really was on solid ground. The pseudo hipster FM jocks were in love with everything British, almost to the point of being queer about it. The AM Top 40 stations like KHJ Los Angeles actually played the hell out of the following songs:
My Little Red Book, 7&7 Is, Signed DC, and for a time Alone Again Or. As for the albums that followed FC, they were okay. But by this time if you wanted hard rock, sorry there was better bands than the '69 version of Love, end of story. Of course looking back now, the music is pretty good-but Love's time had come and gone commercially. That's one thing nobody can ever say about the band. There was never a "7&7 Seagram's 7 Blended Whiskey tour" or "Old Man" music boxes. Love was art not commerce. Son of a bitch, I wish they were better known and appreciated, but once you realize most people have terrible taste in music (how else can you explain Mariah Carey, J-Lo, Kansas, REO Speedwagon,
or Creed?) it's easier to deal with. Beck was a much better guitarist than Clapton
or Page, but who gets the attention?
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  00:19:50  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i, too think four sail is the best after forever changes.
i am glad all over i was at Love's four sail concert at the whiskey, hollywood, soon after the lp (remember those?) which i bought upon release. i left the show with my ears ringing and felt buzzed for days even after the drugs wore off! August is still my favotite , and glad Arthur and LOVE , played it in the last few tours!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  06:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YES. Four Sail is brilliant. Personally, I really can't compare it against the debut, or Da Capo - all 3 are fantastic - but looks like I'm not alone in ranking all of these in the same league :).
Go to Top of Page

Merlyn Merlot
Fourth Love

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  17:28:20  Show Profile  Visit Merlyn Merlot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hear are 2 innernet Radio stations that have Love on Heavy rotation all the Thyme
Including Four Sail and Out Here

Cheers

http://www.3wk.com/

http://www.techwebsound.com/
Go to Top of Page

TJSAbass
Fourth Love

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2007 :  08:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I consider Four Sail right up there with the first 3. I used to like to listen to "Nothing" in the morning when coming down off a trip, to put my head in the right place.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2007 :  14:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With you there TJ, I loved "NOTHING" +"GOOD TIMES" coming down from a trip as well. Four Sail is one of my all time faves for tripping, with "AUGUST" as the opener,it,s one great psychedelic ride all the way, even "Your Freind and mine". For peaking "REVALATIONS" from de capo is wonderfull, i was luke warm about this track, untill i heard it on a trip , and everything fell into place...GREAT music and GREAT memories...thanks for remimding me.
LOVE
Allan
Go to Top of Page

tmittelstadt
Third Love

63 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2007 :  14:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Four Sail is my second favorite Love album. The songs are great, and I think the drumming is the best of any of the Love albums.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  14:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ZFarrar..interesting points...at the time I think they were just looked as simply one of many regional bands out there on the coast...in my recollection from what was going on in New York I don't think they got ANY air play on AM or FM radio by the djs who as you rightly note were in love with the Brits and Australian stuff...;-)...if music was a competiton Love really had a hard time getting a rating...with me if it wasn't for knowing a Calif girl I probably wouldn't have known anything about Arthur's setup.....
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2007 :  05:10:32  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
KHJ did "play the hell out of" those songs. But KRLA and KBLA went even deeper into the Love songbook. So Love did not lack hometown radio support by any means.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page