New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2006 :  11:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering how every1 1st got introduced to love.

I 1st heard about love relitively recently from reading jack whites interview with arthur lee http://www.birthdaybiff.co.uk/sandydenny/al/arthurleeNME2003.htm
i was amazed at the story&the legend.arthur must have been the most difficult interviewee&jack white must have been so disappointed but it had me captivated.it must have been about a week later when i was flickin through the 2for20 section of my local record shop when i came across the first album love.i dont usually buy albums by bands i have never heard but i was gonna make an exception.i bought it along wit a syd barret album i think.whatever the other cd was i did not listen 2it for a few days as all that was in my cd player was this wonderful band that i had just discovered.
i started turnins all my friends onto them givin them including my bandmates (we eventually did a cover of alone again or).i then found forever changes which i had heard little about but what i did hear got me very excited.ill b honest i wasnt all that impressed at 1st but after a number of listens it started to blow my mind.i then started collecting more&more love&arthur lee records and am still today just bought 5 string serinade which im glad i heard was a bad album cause it sounds a whole lot better than i expected.
anyway i dont know if any1 has already posted a similar topic but i just wanted to share my love story and hope that others will to.

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  07:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first heard Love at college in 1967. I couldn't help liking the first album, being a big Byrds fan at the time but I wouldn't say they made a deep impression.

Three years later was at an Air Force base in Florida, far from home and comfort, far from music, and bound for Uncle Sam's Excellent Adventure, the Sizties edition. In the cutout bin at a local record store, I found a "Best of Love" collection. I've never seen it since, it had various images including a woman's leg in a red stocking, but I took it back to the barracks, borrowed a record player (a lo-fi beauty with one three-inch speaker!) and rediscoverd a lot of good songs and I think for the first time really heard "You Set the Scene." It's no exaggeration to say that in that dark time Arthur helped me to stay sane. I never had the pleasure to see him in person, but watching him in the on the "Forever Changes" DVD, having been through all that he's been through, and still able sing "Face each day with a smile" as if he means it...he's still helping me stay sane.
Go to Top of Page

ommadawn
First Love

8 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2006 :  22:43:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The LP you speak of is titled: 'Love Revisited.'
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2006 :  00:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ommadawn:
Thanks for the tip. I left the album behind, and always wished I hadn't had to.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page