Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Am I the only one who really likes Revelation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fred in Bed
Third Love

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  14:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm amazed at how much criticism Revelation has had from fans. For me it's one of the highlights of Da Capo and despite being so long it always leaves me wanting more. Conversely, Orange Skies is really popular but it leaves me cold and I think it's probably Arthur's worst vocal performance on the first four albums. Maybe I'm just a bit weird.

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  15:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred in Bed

I'm amazed at how much criticism Revelation has had from fans. For me it's one of the highlights of Da Capo and despite being so long it always leaves me wanting more. Conversely, Orange Skies is really popular but it leaves me cold and I think it's probably Arthur's worst vocal performance on the first four albums. Maybe I'm just a bit weird.

Your not the only one Fred, it is a great song.
I can do without the ridiculous sexual overtones,
but the music itself is what stands out.
On New Guy's sight, you can hear Arthur doing
some of the harmonica part in the song "A House..."
That is why I am lobbying for a Da Capo concert,
so New Guy can do a new DVD.
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  16:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem with Revelation here, sure its a loose jam but it has edge. The best things are not always the most highly polished.
Go to Top of Page

Saucy Jack
Second Love

26 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  18:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't Bryan sing "Orange Skies" on Da Capo, or am I getting mixed up?
Go to Top of Page

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  18:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saucy Jack

Doesn't Bryan sing "Orange Skies" on Da Capo, or am I getting mixed up?

It's Arthur.
Go to Top of Page

Fred in Bed
Third Love

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  19:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
On New Guy's sight, you can hear Arthur doing
some of the harmonica part in the song "A House..."
That is why I am lobbying for a Da Capo concert,
so New Guy can do a new DVD.

The guy can certainly play that harp - Signed DC is a testament to that, as well as Revelation.
Go to Top of Page

bigrubberglove
Fourth Love

188 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  19:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to disagree. Revelations has its moments but doesn't work for me. Overly labored and the shrieking is honestly unlistenable.

Orange Skies on the other hand is a masterpiece. I get sick of most music eventually through overplay or changing tastes but that one holds up remarkably well. I must add that the LIVE current version BLOWS AWAY the original version because Arthur's singing on it now is soooo much more powerful and soulful. If you want to show a friend what a great singer Arthur is, I would say Orange Skies is a great show case for his talents.

I would also recommend the second half of Old Man played LIVE where Arthur's voice climbs the heavens in one of the great musical passages of alltime (I know that sounds like crap but I believe it). I am talking about this part in particular.

"Insisted that he was right
I only heard him slightly
'Til I heard you whisper
Took you up all in my arms" (especially this part. sometimes Arthur sustains this note for 8 to 10 seconds. spellbinding!)

Go to Top of Page

Fred in Bed
Third Love

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  19:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
the LIVE current version BLOWS AWAY the original version because Arthur's singing on it now is soooo much more powerful and soulful. If you want to show a friend what a great singer Arthur is, I would say Orange Skies is a great show case for his talents.

I would also recommend the second half of Old Man played LIVE where Arthur's voice climbs the heavens in one of the great musical passages of alltime

I haven't heard it live but hope I will soon! Old Man is indeed beautiful and somewhat underrated I think.
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  23:36:41  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well now, I have always rated revelation highly, even before i sussed what it was about.....

like the ineviatble/relentless feel to the beat of it and how it is developed

of course, now it seems, things are not the same, i can see more clearly........ it's still A brilliant track, though i had thought perhaps one for the ladeez, wrong again

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  03:53:05  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i've always loved REVELATION.since it was first released.i wonder if it has to do with me being an old fan from the 60s, the personal memories of grooving with REVELATION when it was first revealed. i don't believe it can or should be played live now. that was a special, ephemeral gem, jam, thing at that time recorded as an event. another piece of the Arthur LEE and LOVE magic that can't easily be labeled.
Go to Top of Page

jim
Third Love

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  07:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old Man is without doubt a classic however i'm sure the original line was "whispering" or am i just being Mr picky LOL.
Love jim.
Go to Top of Page

Nanker
First Love

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  15:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, I like revelation too. It has that "live" sound to it, while it
may be a bit long it is enjoyable to listen to. Take out the drum solo
(like watching someone balance a bowling ball), Tjay's horn part is
nice too. BTW I really like Love is More Than Words, does that make me
weird?