Grace Slick still lives
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  23:47:14  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i've always loved her, and am grateful, especially after recent passings of those we sometimes took for granted, that she is still with us, although retired from music, but still here, and that is good, a goddess, yes, let's still love her NOW.

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  00:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well bob f., You got me back to the board. When I lived in the Haight in late '66 to '68, Grace Slick was one of the neighbors. I caught all of Jefferson Airplane, that I could. I was a young hippie, dancing on the beach, with one hand waving free. I twirlled and spun on the Panhandle when the Airplane flew there. Grace was the queen, with Janice in attendance. I loved her then, I love her now. 'Used to see her on the street, dressed to the nines. She would always smile, and say, "Hi."

The last time I saw her was at the Greek Theater, in Berkeley, with a Jefferson Airplane reunion. It was sometime in the mid-eighties, and Bob, I'll tell you she sang as powerfully strong as ever she did, and sounded grand. The entire group was "ON." A very fine and memorable show, lavalamp light show and all. It was great.

You are a thoughtful guy, to be remembering Grace, like this. I wish we could get word to her, and tell her, "Fine Lady, when you were singing, we were dancing. We hope you take time to dance some now, while we sing your praises."

And to all the board members,ready to point out that this is an Arthur Lee and LOVE website, I'll just say, Grace is family: Mother Psychedelia. (and I said not a thing about the Neil Young News thread, a while back.)

Lee

Yes, I'm going 'round and 'round.

Edited by - LeeRob on 04/09/2006 01:06:02
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  04:10:48  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
what promted me to post , is our awareness, or our fleeting memories of those we take for granted, then suddenly embrace upon death.just by human habit. i'm just sayin to love and appreciate artists that we love NOW, like Grace Slick, while she's alive. just like we appreciated Arthur Lee . don't take anyone or anything for granted.
after Arthur , i've realized we must openly support our loved artists, and express our love while they are alive now, not just after. so Grace Slick is on my mind now , as always. maybe more than ever. she's a special one, and she's still alive.
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  15:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wrote this in the 'Greatest Psychedelic Song' thread here...

quote:
The Great Society

I am so totally into them. I have the double LP, and I really dig every track. Gracie is at her best. If I had to choose one, I guess 'Sally Go 'Round the Roses' would be it. They're all SO good

It's not pure psychedelic, but garage-punk with that Psych flair.

Allan

I did not ever get to see The Great Society, but I sure wish I had. They were SO ahead of their time, but like so many others back then, they didn't stand the test of time. I've always thought how wonderful it would be if TGS ever re-grouped. Their songs and their music always reminded me of that nervousness and excitement that those early groups had...like LOVE and The Sons. I did get to see the Airplane in their earlier days. Gracie was fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  16:16:36  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
there are several sites dedicated to Grace Slick, but because i'm computer challenged, i couldn't post a link.
google it and there it is for fans. she paints and is out of the music performance now, but i want her to return and sing.
it would be cool if she got together with Jorma Kaukonen.
she is very special, and i'm just shining a little light on her now while she's still with us.
like i said, after Arthur Lee's sudden flight, i've realized that time is short. let's love our artists now and praise them before it's too late. God bless Grace Slick.
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  17:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I adore grace, I love her voice, her music and everything she stands for. The great society are a very much overlooked band and I think had some cracking songs esp the mad psychedelic guitar solo in the middle of sally go round the roses. I have to have a jefferson airplane fix at least once a day, keeps me (in)sane.
I think the painting of janis she did was wonderful with the leaves in her hair, really captures her spirit.

I have a couple of grace paintings on my online gallery
http://www.warmtoastcafe.com/art/kirstylu/
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  18:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jellybean (Kirsty?)

Love your paintings, especially good one of Arthur

cheers

Ian
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  20:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jellybean...

Your artwork is OUTSTANDING. I like Gracie, and Keith and Jim are AWESOME. You're very talented. I hope it pays off well someday financially-I know it already has spiritually

Allan
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  16:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BobF..your comment about Grace also made me go back to Brian Wilson who's another music great that is to be appreciated.
I have this interview where he responded to a bunch of questions:

Your album Smile has been called the greatest rock record that was never released.It's the Beach Boys lost masterpiece.
Brian: We started it in 1967 but we never finished it.

But it is scheduled for release in September.Why did you decide to finish recording it now?
Brian: I wanted to get it out before I died.

Are you dying?
Brian: No.

Other questions came in but here were two that were interesting:
Do you surf?
Brian: I never learned how
Is summer your favorite season?
No. I like fall......

Well Brian's still around. Had it tough but he's trying to live his life. Gotta thank him for what he's given us with those sounds.
When he goes, music will lose a great one. I admire him very much.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page