Who likes Jazz?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toni_dawg35
First Love

3 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2006 :  21:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve been lisening to the Wayman Tisdale album “Way Up” I got a copy from my work UMGD. Ive really been loving it since Im into Jazz and Fusion. I wanted to see him live, I hear he’s awesome did anyone go to the Long Beach Jazz Festival? I hear he is on the RENDEZVOUS ALL STAR TOUR you could check out more info on the tour here http://www.rendezvousallstars.com/ If you happen to go let me know what you thought about it. You could also check out his website for more information. on his website www.waymantisdale.com I hear he will be hosting The smooth Jazz Cruise (Key West/Cozumel/Costa Maya/Half Moon Cay) Jan. 20-27 2007 you could find out more info here http://www.thesmoothjazzcruise.com/

Bobinbed
Fourth Love

Sweden
106 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  20:20:51  Show Profile  Visit Bobinbed's Homepage  Send Bobinbed a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... You might like Planet X. It's really good Prog Metal Jazz-Fusion played with technical brilliance. Check them out!

"When I started Planet X, I had one goal: to start the sickest instrumental band in the world. I wanted to find musicans that played their instruments so fiercely, it would strike fear in the hearts of other musicians when they played," declares the group's founder Derek Sherinian.

Despite being highly technical players, the individual members - keyboardist Sherinian, drummer Virgil Donati, and guitarist Tony MacAlpine - strive for cohesion over chaos.

Sound samples: http://www.xplanetx.com/multimedia-sounds.html

- "What do you mean it's a literary high?"
- "It's a Kafka high. It makes you feel like a bug."
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2006 :  11:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like some jazz. The likes of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, and the fabulous Pharoah Sanders are all welcome in my house.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2006 :  15:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anybody know if Arthur listened to jazz and what he liked?.......
Go to Top of Page

watchinallthapeople
Fourth Love

155 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2006 :  22:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I´ve never listened to jazz alot but I love a few records
"Dark Magnus live at Carnegie Hall" by Miles Davis is incedible, its after he met Hendix and SlyStone, so Its full of wah wah guitars, funkadelic style bass and tablas.(I love the fact that Jazz Snobs can't bear it too). If you like psychedelia you'd probably luv it
"A love supreme" by john coltraine is an incredile record, another one that psychedelia fans would like.
A guy called pharoah Sanders did a record with a track called "the creator has a master plan", I think its called meditation(but not sure as mines a copy). Its another psychedelic one, truly awsome, all strange chants and some of the coolest sounding bass lines you´ll hear.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2006 :  23:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by watchinallthapeople

I´ve never listened to jazz alot but I love a few records
"Dark Magnus live at Carnegie Hall" by Miles Davis is incedible, its after he met Hendix and SlyStone, so Its full of wah wah guitars, funkadelic style bass and tablas.(I love the fact that Jazz Snobs can't bear it too).

KD: Don't get me started about "jazz snobs". I helped run a jazz club in SF for several years, and the stories about those clowns I could tell............... Nothing worse then people / musicians that take themselves too seriously. What was it that Duke Ellington said about music again, oh yea: "There's only two types of music: GOOD music and BAD music.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2006 :  14:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I went into Tower the other day near the jazz section and saw a guy stocking the jazz bins...I was curious so I asked him of all the records cd's whatever what has been the biggest seller consistently through all the years. He said without a doubt it was Davis' "Kinda Blue"..it just sells and sells and sells...there you have it...get it for your collection...there's something there...
Go to Top of Page

dasche
First Love

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2006 :  03:05:45  Show Profile  Send dasche an ICQ Message  Send dasche a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Saw Miles Davis at the Filmore East wayyyyyyyyyyyyy back in 1971
good show definite mixed bill

Steve Miller Band opened
then Miles
then Neil Young
then Neil Young and Crazy Horse

went till 4- 4:30 in the am nice time was had by all !!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2006 :  15:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most jazz is too sophisticated for the likes of me I guess, but I have enjoyed Sun Ra, Ornette Coleman, and Charles Mingus, as well as Coltrane, Davis, and Monk from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2006 :  10:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sun- Ra..what a band!!!! i caught them in London in 1985 or so, and had nearly forgotten them..time to search through my old tapes.
I was introduced to jazz by Frank Zappa, so i kinda got a different take on it. Agree that snobery spolis the scene, love Chet Baker, Charlie Parker + John Coltrane though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page