Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 The Castle........kept the flame burning for Love.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oldfartatplay
Third Love

74 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  12:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Along with the roll-call of those who made Arthur & the Love renaissance possible,I'd like to pay tribute to David Housden and the very wonderful 'The Castle'.After the demise of Zig-Zag magazine,and the very occasional Love articles by journalist/fans such as John Tobler,Max Bell,John Storey,Pete Frame,Jud Cost,etc...the only real source of information in the UK & Europe during Arthur/Love's wilderness years came through David's self-initiated (& funded?) efforts.....and we are not talking about the occasional single page bulletin here...each edition is a mini-book in itself,and is one of the finest Fanzine/Publications put together in any artist/bands name.

This was of course largely before the spread of the internet.I don't know how much of an influence 'The Castle ' had on Torben,who has of course,since taken up the baton in hyperspace,but my guess is, that along with the many other long-term fans around Europe (& the USA?),a copy of'The Castle' dropping through the letter-box was the cue for several days of intense reading....(& house-hold chores put on hold).

John Tobler(Captain of the Quest for Arthur Lee- Ret'd)was impressed,but thought that David was 'nuts!'I'd just like to say thanks to David, and to 'The Castle'.......up there with Dead Sea Scrolls in this neck of the woods!

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  12:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi OFAP,
I'll second that! I finally took the plunge a few years ago, and bought every copy of The Castle that I didn't already own. David still
has supplies of The Castle (including photocopies of a couple of early issues) and they're a highly recommended purchase. Ironically I haven't been able to get in touch with David during the past week, and he hasn't posted here. I believe he's on holiday overseas, and may not even have heard the news yet. All the best, John E
Go to Top of Page

otiselevator
Third Love

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  15:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OFAP you're absolutely right, David Housden deserves a medal for his efforts in promoting Love through 'The Castle'. I had the pleasure of meeting him at Arthur's 'no show' concert in Milton Keynes last year. The whole Love mythology is in 'The Castle' as well as some great pix, interviews and reviews. Incidentally, wasn't Arthur supposed to have been writing his autobiography some time ago? Does anyone know whether this was true and if so how far did he get?
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  18:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by otiselevator

Incidentally, wasn't Arthur supposed to have been writing his autobiography some time ago? Does anyone know whether this was true and if so how far did he get?

KD: Just another project that never got started..............

Free the books !
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  20:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I've heard from various sources, Arthur wrote a fairly short autobiography of maybe a hundred pages or so. Apparently he placed himself in a fairly idealized role (a saint amongst the rogues?). I don't think any publishers were interested before, but I guess that could change now. Personally, I'd love to read it.
Love forever, John E
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  02:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mad props to David Housden and his labor of Love! It would be great if David or some small press anthologized all The Castle issues in book form. Truly priceless artifacts.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  18:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myoungish

Mad props to David Housden and his labor of Love! It would be great if David or some small press anthologized all The Castle issues in book form. Truly priceless artifacts.

Michael Young

KD: That's probably not going to happen as there would be too many
releases to get signed by the various writers / owners of the written
works. Releases that David never bothered to get I'm sure.

Free the releases !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page