Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Arthur Lee and Love 2006 is this new line up?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  20:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree and stand by all of that stuff Tiburon.

See, if you take it a step further you can see all of the other rockers that were influenced heavily by Jim Morrison such as Ian Curtis (I am a huge Joy Division guy), the constant comparisons Ian Ashbury seems to live for, as well as Kurt Cobain and Nirvana.

Many people wanted Nirvana to be The Doors of the 1990's and in some respects maybe they were. Look at lesser acts (at least in my mind) such as Matt Zane and his group Society One (I am sooo not a fan). His whole trip is evoking the spirit and style and vocal patterns of Morrison.

And if Morrison was so into Arthur Lee as evidenced by the Electronic Press Kit from Rhino (Ray Manzarek even shows up and confirms their fascination with Love), and the Hoskyns book, well....

Arthur is so amazing in a lot of respects, and unfortunately there is a side to his genius that makes him somewhat of a mad genius. The kind that for some people can really be put off. Again, however regardless of all of that the music speaks.

-Thomas Galasso
Go to Top of Page

drumage
First Love

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  22:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ARTHUR IS TOGETHER NOW. THAT IS WHAT COUNTS. I'M WITH HIM EVERYDAY. HE IS TOTALLY SOBER. CLEAN. MAYBE YOU HAD A BAD COUPLE OF SHOWS, BUT MR. LEE IS ON TOP OF HIS GAME NOW. HE IS IN A PLACE NOW HE HAS NEVER BEEN, AND HE IS READY TO BRING IT. GREG
[/quote]

I REALLY don't want to be negative but...........
The chances are a million to one that this new group will prevail. I know Arthur & he will be cool for a moment and then he'll be back with his insanity.
Mark my words
Have a nice day
Go to Top of Page

drumage
First Love

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  22:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drumage

ARTHUR IS TOGETHER NOW. THAT IS WHAT COUNTS. I'M WITH HIM EVERYDAY. HE IS TOTALLY SOBER. CLEAN. MAYBE YOU HAD A BAD COUPLE OF SHOWS, BUT MR. LEE IS ON TOP OF HIS GAME NOW. HE IS IN A PLACE NOW HE HAS NEVER BEEN, AND HE IS READY TO BRING IT. GREG

I REALLY don't want to be negative but...........
The chances are a million to one that this new group will prevail.
I've known Arthur for many years.
He's one of the best there is when he's got a handle on reality.
He will be cool for a moment and then he'll be back with his insanity again.
Mark my words
Have a nice day
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

drumage
First Love

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  22:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay..........
Go to Top of Page

drumage
First Love

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  23:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
deleted
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2006 :  01:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drumage

deleted

Good. I am happy you saw the error of your ways.

Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2006 :  01:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you drumage.

Thank you for that statement. I am sure many people feel the same way, like I stated earlier.

I guess for some people its always good to point out what everyone is thinking, even if you know its not the best outcome. The world doesn't expect this new version of Love, or any version of Arthur Lee to prevail.

It almost sounds like some people just don't want to see them prevail. Everyone has a right to their opinion....it's just so damn frustrating to constantly deal with unecessary negativity.

-Thomas Galasso

I will step out on a limb and say Arthur Lee is going to do very well considering all factors. The new Love is going to be something very cool and relaxing. Great news, and absolutely nothing less.
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2006 :  01:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes.
Go to Top of Page

Merlyn Merlot
Fourth Love

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2006 :  02:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Merlyn Merlot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not to drumage up any more negative rep percussions ;)
but I really feel this board is about appreciating the music of Arthurly and Love

I'm sure people that get off on putting down their once upon a time favorite artists,
Do so because there is a cheap buzz being negative and putting people back in their previous sentence of past judgments.

I don't care about gossip and judgment
Lets Dig The Music?
i say give the new band a chance
Arthur is an extremely creative cat with 9 lives
It that wasn't the case we all wouldn't still be in hear disc cussing him

Why Don't We Sing This Song Altogether?
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2006 :  02:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aah, this is brilliant news. I've been off the board for a bit. Thanx for the update, Greg, and let's hope Arthur keeps eating his collared greens and okra. This new lineup sounds intense!

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2006 :  03:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll add something to that.

Have Arthur start drinking Yogi tea. That stuff is sooooo calming. I started drinking the women's tea that helps with PMS and other stuff and believe it or not it helps men out too.

Arthur is a living legend that many in this world are not aware of yet they are exposed to his influence everyday. That is something that cannot be erased.

I haven't been this excited in a while. I don't care if they don't record as long as they play and everyone is happy and doing their thing.

-Thomas Galasso
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2006 :  03:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shortly after Greg posted the news, I cross-posted it to another messageboard or two, where it was naturally received with similar anticipations as in here. One had this to say:

I've seen the Reigning Sound on Little Steven's
Underground Garage revue and they really rock!
With Johnny, Arthur and this line up, this should
be amazing. the Sound, btw, is one of the bands
that Norton chose for their stones' covers 45s
and their own song Reptile Style will one day be
a classic in its own right.

I haven't heard the Reigning Sound myself, but this sure seems to be a THING. Looking forward.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2006 :  04:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have actually seen them.

They came to the Magic Stick in Detroit quite often, and always sold out. They do rock. Their bass, their drums, guitars etc. are just as good as the young men in Baby Lemonade.

Mike Randle is a monster pure and simple. He kicks so much ass on guitar I am in awe of the man, but The Reigning Sound are monsters too, and can also play a little bit.

I have confidence they will be very entertaining.

-Thomas
Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2006 :  14:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg, Nice to read your optimism and enthusiasm. Can you let us know what sort of music Arthur and his new band will be doing? Are we going to hear some new stuff, or rather more perhaps from the Vindicator and Reel to Reel era? Or is Arthur still going to be relying mainly on the old tried and tested material from the first three albums, particularly Forever Changes? I'd be interested to know how many of the long-time Love fans would go and see AL doing a gig largely of new or post 1970 material with perhaps much lesser reliance on material from what might be called the classic Love period.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2006 :  17:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

You know, that is a very good question.

I once put of a thread about Arthur Lee : Post Elektra years, because I find some of that era fascinating. Just the way he would evolve for better or for worse depending on whom you ask.

I personally would love to see Arthur perform any material regardless of the era. In fact I am almost going to say that I don't necessarily care to hear any more Forever Changes stuff due to the extensive tour he had with Baby Lemonade, and how he has further cemented the legend of that record.

I was always aflutter when I heard the newer Love do songs from Four Sail or even Da Capo. One of the many reasons I was so disappointed when the Baby Lemonade thing fell apart was because I heard they were going to do a Da Capo tour similar to the FC tour.

I was looking forward to that. I was also subsequently hoping for a new album that would feature Baby Lemonade and Johnny Echols doing new songs.

Davey, the whole Vindicator era is just plain fascinating to me. I really think that Vindicator is a great album. Not a very good album but a great album, for the kind of rock music it is. Had Arthur been a nicer guy I feel that record could have been a hit, and I know this because when I play it for people today who don't even know who Arthur Lee is or have a limited knowledge of him they do like the album. Lots of people.

As for False Start, there are some good songs that suffer from being way to minimal in their execution. I can honestly say for the most part I do not enjoy False Start, and very rarely do I listen to it. Lyrically he is strong on all of his records in my eyes with the exception maybe of Reel to Real.

Out Here is a disappointment in some ways due to how large the record is in terms of being 17 tracks. Again many of the tunes are very basic and do not stand up to any of the Elektra stuff.

I think Four Sail is simply a wonderful record. Kind of like an AM Gold kind of thing, and maybe a huge drop compared to the earlier stuff as it is not cutting edge like Da Capo or Forever Changes, but I think Four Sail holds up well, and had Love had more successes with personalities and record sales that album may have garnered more respect.

Reel to Real. I like it, but as someone said to me, its a somewhat flat soul record that could easily get lost in the shuffle. The only reason it stands out is because it is a fundamental paradox of sorts. But I enjoy the songs from it much more than a lot of stuff I have heard in my life. In fact if I could ask Arthur in depth about any period of his music making and get honest answers I would probably ask about the post-Elektra period beginning with the aborted Gethsemane project that would have been an Elektra record.

Boy am I a long winded son of a........

-Thomas Galasso
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page