Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Arthur Lee and Love 2006 is this new line up?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2006 :  22:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Okay.

So we have someone who is a pessimistic sort. Good for that person, very good. It doesn't take a genius to know the posibilities. That is the equivilent of telling us that a fireman puts out fires.

Arthur Lee didn't invent anyone, but he sure as hell influenced everyone. In case you don't know Arthur is the founding father of the Black psychedelic archetype that Hendrix would later adopt and receive cudos for. Sly Stone too. Prince and Rick James would add their touches and eventually we would have Lenny Kravitz and so forth.

Arthur is the platform.

Hendrix adored Arthur, as did Jim Morrison who went so far as to model himself after Arthur. Unbelievable ? No.

Many people influence each other, its just called life. Arthur Lee lived it and made some of the most cherished music of our lifetime. I don't see the point in wasting time to just disrespect people. If you don't like the things Arthur does, then one shouldn't behave similarly.

Without Arthur Lee, a lot of stuff would not be the same. Hendrix and Sly would be very different as would Lenny (who covered a Love tune), and I know for a fact that Lenny worships the man. The Doors probably would not have been signed. Morrison dressed like Arthur, tried to walk like the man, and even took some of the vocal patterns (the Native American scream anyone ?)

The album Four Sail is pretty good too. 1969 I believe. Elektra thought it was good enough to remaster and add bonus tracks. Oh well, and Vindicator kicks ass ! Ever heard the song Busted Feet ? A&M remastered and issued that on CD with bonus tracks. Arthur hasn't given a lot of people reason to cheer so naturally numerous magazines and press are not going to praise the man.....until way after the fact.

Arthur Lee is the man that Robert Plant loves so much, and The Damned worship, and Detroit suburb's very own Jack White idolizes the man and The Stones were inspired enough by She Comes in Colors to do She's a Rainbow. David Bowie has a song off his first album called She's Got Medals which totally rips from My Flash On You. Bowie's first album was on Deram Records and can be purchased at Amazon.com for the one person who may not believe me.

Does Arthur have to do anything else to rise out of nobody status ?
(I don't know)

-Thomas Galasso
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2006 :  23:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThomasGalasso

Okay.

So we have someone who is a pessimistic sort. Good for that person, very good. It doesn't take a genius to know the posibilities. That is the equivilent of telling us that a fireman puts out fires.

Arthur Lee didn't invent anyone, but he sure as hell influenced everyone. In case you don't know Arthur is the founding father of the Black psychedelic archetype that Hendrix would later adopt and receive cudos for. Sly Stone too. Prince and Rick James would add their touches and eventually we would have Lenny Kravitz and so forth.

Arthur is the platform.

Hendrix adored Arthur, as did Jim Morrison who went so far as to model himself after Arthur. Unbelievable ? No.

Many people influence each other, its just called life. Arthur Lee lived it and made some of the most cherished music of our lifetime. I don't see the point in wasting time to just disrespect people. If you don't like the things Arthur does, then one shouldn't behave similarly.

Without Arthur Lee, a lot of stuff would not be the same. Hendrix and Sly would be very different as would Lenny (who covered a Love tune), and I know for a fact that Lenny worships the man. The Doors probably would not have been signed. Morrison dressed like Arthur, tried to walk like the man, and even took some of the vocal patterns (the Native American scream anyone ?)

The album Four Sail is pretty good too. 1969 I believe. Elektra thought it was good enough to remaster and add bonus tracks. Oh well, and Vindicator kicks ass ! Ever heard the song Busted Feet ? A&M remastered and issued that on CD with bonus tracks. Arthur hasn't given a lot of people reason to cheer so naturally numerous magazines and press are not going to praise the man.....until way after the fact.

Arthur Lee is the man that Robert Plant loves so much, and The Damned worship, and Detroit suburb's very own Jack White idolizes the man and The Stones were inspired enough by She Comes in Colors to do She's a Rainbow. David Bowie has a song off his first album called She's Got Medals which totally rips from My Flash On You. Bowie's first album was on Deram Records and can be purchased at Amazon.com for the one person who may not believe me.

Does Arthur have to do anything else to rise out of nobody status ?
(I don't know)

-Thomas Galasso

Maybe have beers with all the fans?
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2006 :  23:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah,

I am not trying to be rude. Let me apologize. I just don't want to waste a whole new thread by filling it with arguments and insults and negativity. I mean we all get frustrated and by no means is Arthur Lee god, but I mean let's just try and talk music and good stuff.

Let us remember what we all love to do ?

Again, I am not trying to be a jerk and I am very sorry. But I do believe in all of the things I wrote. Lee's influence is almost scary and maybe the cosmos couldn't allow for the man to also have a personality which would make him more easily accessible for the entire world. You know ? Like let us suppose that Love never got too far off into drugs, and MacLean and Lee were more unified ? Love toured super super hard for their first three albums ? What would have happened ?

I say take it at face value.

-Thomas Galasso
Go to Top of Page

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2006 :  23:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just heard the news...I'm speechless! Love, John E
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2006 :  23:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ThomasGalasso...

I think you were replying when ZFarrar was replying. Everything's cool and everyone's on the same page. No pessimism.

Now with your obvious passion (and for all the right reasons too ), I really wish you were around when the poop was going down with Wendy from When. Several founding members here got really stirred from her, and they have left this scene because of it.

If you haven't already read this...it's 8 pages of how someone tried to rip this place to shreds. But most of us are still here

http://love.torbenskott.dk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=700

I can't wait to see the new band. C'mon Arthur, give us the LOVE!

Allan

Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  00:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay.

I will read the thread and then I will probably have questions so be ready for my return. I am about to dive in.

-Thomas Galasso

Here's hoping this Wendy doesn't anger me. Or at least leave a seriously annoyed jolt in my skeleton.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  00:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThomasGalasso

Okay.

I will read the thread and then I will probably have questions so be ready for my return. I am about to dive in.

-Thomas Galasso

Here's hoping this Wendy doesn't anger me. Or at least leave a seriously annoyed jolt in my skeleton.

Wendy basically said that AL is the MAN.
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  01:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Allan

ThomasGalasso...

I think you were replying when ZFarrar was replying. Everything's cool and everyone's on the same page. No pessimism.

Now with your obvious passion (and for all the right reasons too ), I really wish you were around when the poop was going down with Wendy from When. Several founding members here got really stirred from her, and they have left this scene because of it.

If you haven't already read this...it's 8 pages of how someone tried to rip this place to shreds. But most of us are still here

http://love.torbenskott.dk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=700

I can't wait to see the new band. C'mon Arthur, give us the LOVE!

Allan

Eww, that was painful to look at again One thing that hasn't changed is the passion we all feel for LOVE. No matter what happens, there is always some hope that we will once again have the chance to see Arthur and Johnny on stage together.

Johnny hasn't had access to a computer lately, but he is doing fine and really appreciated hearing about everybody's birthday greetings.

Let's all be patient..it's gonna take a minute to pull this band together, but it will be worth it

LOVE and peace
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  05:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Rolling Stones appreciation of the original LOVE how about "Goin' Home" from the "Aftermath" album. Its pretty much a response to "Revelation" from "Da Capo".I believe it was even recorded in the same L.A. studio with same producer or engineer Dave Hassinger.
Go to Top of Page

Fingaz
Third Love

Ireland
53 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  11:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooh ooh, and lest we forget Madonna's Beautiful Stranger. A blatant rip off of She Comes in colours
Go to Top of Page

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  12:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyboy

Speaking of Rolling Stones appreciation of the original LOVE how about "Goin' Home" from the "Aftermath" album. Its pretty much a response to "Revelation" from "Da Capo".I believe it was even recorded in the same L.A. studio with same producer or engineer Dave Hassinger.

Aftermath came out before Da Capo.
I remember reading that Arthur and group had been performing "Revelation" long before Aftermath came out though.
Go to Top of Page

greg
First Love

15 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  14:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WE ARE HAVING FUN HERE IN MEMPHIS ! WE ARE HAVING FUN WITH A GUY WHO IS SOBER, FUNNY, TALENTED, A SLAVE DRIVER, AND WE ARE DIGGING EVERY SECOND. WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN BANDS, MAKE OUR OWN RECORDS, AND DO OUR OWN TOURS . . . WE WILL BE JUST FOOTNOTES IN "LOVE" HISTORY, JUST LIKE EVERYONE POST THIRD RECORD. WE ARE HERE FOR ONE REASON, TO MAKE ONE OF OUR HEROS SOUND GOOD AND THATS IT ! YOU CAN SHOW UP TO THE GIGS, SCREAM, CUSS, CHEER, THROW **** . . . WE DON'T GIVE A FLYING RATS ASS ! WE ARE HAVING FUN AND THATS ALL THAT COUNTS. GOD BLESS ALL OF THE MANY MEMBERS OF LOVE . . . PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE.
FROM MEMPHIS WITH LOVE
GREG
Go to Top of Page

Merlyn Merlot
Fourth Love

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  16:42:32  Show Profile  Visit Merlyn Merlot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg Any Day We are Getting Love Music Live is a Great Day

Keep Carvin' and come to the Left Coast where we dig Love The most @C@
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  17:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greg

WE ARE HAVING FUN HERE IN MEMPHIS ! WE ARE HAVING FUN WITH A GUY WHO IS SOBER, FUNNY, TALENTED, A SLAVE DRIVER, AND WE ARE DIGGING EVERY SECOND. WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN BANDS, MAKE OUR OWN RECORDS, AND DO OUR OWN TOURS . . . WE WILL BE JUST FOOTNOTES IN "LOVE" HISTORY, JUST LIKE EVERYONE POST THIRD RECORD. WE ARE HERE FOR ONE REASON, TO MAKE ONE OF OUR HEROS SOUND GOOD AND THATS IT ! YOU CAN SHOW UP TO THE GIGS, SCREAM, CUSS, CHEER, THROW **** . . . WE DON'T GIVE A FLYING RATS ASS ! WE ARE HAVING FUN AND THATS ALL THAT COUNTS. GOD BLESS ALL OF THE MANY MEMBERS OF LOVE . . . PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE.
FROM MEMPHIS WITH LOVE
GREG

now that's a GOOD attitude!
Go to Top of Page

Tiburon
Third Love

Canada
63 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2006 :  20:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg has got it !

Thomas brought up some interesting points in terms of the impact of AL on other musicians. I read the Barney Hoskyns book and the Mike Stuart book. I can see where Hendrix was influenced by Arthur in terms of style and vocal oatterns. Of course later Hendrix would do his own thing with the stuff and later become a sensation that in turn influence Arthur Lee.

Sly Stone is so after the fact in my eyes that it should not even be questioned whether or not he was influecned because he clearely was. As for Rick James I never thought of it but it makes since given that Rick's early years were in L.A. after he got out of jail. I read somewhere about groups called Salt N Pepper and Heaven and Earth and The Great White Cane. Even heard once that he was hanging out with Jim Morrison at some point. You look at the album cover to the great White Cane and he looks influenced by Jimi.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page