Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Arthur Lee and Love 2006 is this new line up?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2006 :  18:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You people are naive. What, Arthur stopped making death threats to members of his old band. Oh
jolly come to the UK?. I mean this guy is clinical, its beyond drugs. It's just a matter of time before he goes off again. The best band since the original got screwed over by his bull****, yet you Brits will welcome him back with open arms.
Go to Top of Page

Tiburon
Third Love

Canada
63 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2006 :  19:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well moving along so another internet fight doesn't get started.

I personally would love to see the man. I have no personal beef with him and yes he has a history of bad incidents halting progress but so what ? Don't buy his records or even wish him well don't even come to the page if you cannot stand the thought of him getting things together....again.

If you consider yourself to be a fan for lack of a better term than you have to take the good with the bad. I know Arthur is a living legend and one of the few people today from his generation that can tell the tales of the era but was actually a player and not someone sitting on the sidelines.

Good luck guys. Oh and I have heard of the Reigning Sound I seen them play back at the Magic Stick in Detroit.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2006 :  19:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moving along is correct.

I want to see the man get his stuff together and do what he does best. I will rally for him to be inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame (which should be in Detroit not Cleveland), I will rally to have albums such as Reel to Real released on CD, I want to see as much of the guy as I can while I can.

Again, I have never personally been on the receiving end of Arthur's wrath or displeasures so I don't carry a personal weight of negativity against him or his art. I take him at face value.

Besides my mother always says its best to think positive, if you think positive, positive things will happen.

-Thomas Galasso
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2006 :  19:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThomasGalasso

Moving along is correct.

I want to see the man get his stuff together and do what he does best. I will rally for him to be inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame (which should be in Detroit not Cleveland), I will rally to have albums such as Reel to Real released on CD, I want to see as much of the guy as I can while I can.

Again, I have never personally been on the receiving end of Arthur's wrath or displeasures so I don't carry a personal weight of negativity against him or his art. I take him at face value.

Besides my mother always says its best to think positive, if you think positive, positive things will happen.

-Thomas Galasso

Accentuate the positive!

Edited by - waxburn on 22/02/2006 03:35:54
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2006 :  20:00:43  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great News

hey ho! lets go!
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2006 :  20:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zfarrar

I'm pasting your pervious comments from the Concerts section and my reply to your post

quote:
I can't believe she complained about how dude was dressed. Lame. Like being a cool
retro hippie means wearing the uniform of the past. First off Arthur Lee and the
original band were not really hippies. The Grateful Dead--those were hippies.
Arthur was like "hey my way or the highway" --Course he never changed. Other 60's
bands quite frankly were afraid of Love. Let me school ya, newbies. Cause I first
was introduced to the band when I was 10 in 1968. Met Arthur any number of times.
Know Randle, etc. Johnny Echols is the real deal. Not some guy in a tribute band.
More importantly Randle and company are the best version of Love since the
original guys broke up the band. I really like Jay Donnelan's playing and all,
but as Snoopy once said "after the original band broke up-the new version of
Love was not special" Didn't mean they weren't tremendous players, just that
Arthur-Bryan-Snoopy-Echols-Forrsi, & Stuart were really something special.
Baby Lemonade became Love, that's it. ALso newbies, realize that Bryan was
responsible for some of the best songs Love ever did. It wasn't just Arthur.

quote:
Posted - 19/02/2006 : 19:22:08
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zfarrar

I'm very interested to hear your take on Arthur and LOVE when you met them in 1968. You're saying you were 10 years old then, so how were you turned on to LOVE, and what did you think of the music (and the scene) coming from a 10 year old's head.

Where did you meet them? Was it at the Whiskey?

Did you live near them?

Please tell me why you felt LOVE was so special?

When I was living in LA in '70, I was 21. Living in Laurel Canyon, I actually got to meet some younger guys that lived on the street (Wonderland). There was a grade school at the foot of Wonderland...I think it was called The Canyon or The Wonderland School. The kids were about 10 or 12, real long hair, and really quite cool. I remember a few of them digging Lee Michaels back then.

thanks

Allan

Go to Top of Page

Judith
Third Love

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2006 :  22:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

greg, I know it's early days etc etc, but any plans for coming to the UK?, we know Arthur loves coming here.

And that includes Wales of course. Would love to see them here.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2006 :  23:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg
GREAT NEWS MAN!! Glad to hear all is good with Arthur +your band....dont listen to the detractors......LEE + ECHOLS back on the road puts a huge smile on my face.
Have great gigs, and may the road rise with you....LOVE.....Allan
Go to Top of Page

greg
First Love

15 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2006 :  01:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL OF THE SUPPORT ! I WILL TRY TO GET ARTHUR TO COME ON WITH ME ONE NIGHT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS.
FROM MEMPHIS WITH LOVE
GREG

Edited by - greg on 22/02/2006 01:37:17
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2006 :  02:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, I'm excited to see Arthur with a new lineup and wish you the very best. I'll fly to Memphis to see ya so please post gig dates etc.

PS please take any not-so-positive responses in stride (hopefully these will continue to be the minority!). Arthur's previous band earned a huge amount of respect through their dedication and professionalism...and kick-ass musicianship. I hope the same happens for you.
Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2006 :  18:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allan. I met Arthur several times in the early to mid-90's. This was just before
Lemonade, he woul gig with pick-up-bands basically. Knew Randle from the record
store, he & the guys worked so hard to make Arthur a star again. He had near
zero cred in LA before Baby Lemonade started gigging with him. Now, due to out of
control ego, he is back with yet another band. Remember how dreadful the post
1968 versions of Love were?. The only saving grace is that Johnny Echols is playing
with him. You people are more forgiving and liberal than I am, a cat making threats
of violence to members of his bands (especially at this age) his major issues. The
other item that is sickening is his ego. If you listen to Arthur, The Beachboys suck,
he invented Jimi Hendrix, . You would think a little humility would go a long way in his case. That's one of the reasons he isn't in the R&R Hall Of Fame, he's burned so many bridges.
That said, I am a fan. Just a cynical one who refuses to be an enabler.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2006 :  19:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZFarrar

Allan. I met Arthur several times in the early to mid-90's. This was just before
Lemonade, he woul gig with pick-up-bands basically. Knew Randle from the record
store, he & the guys worked so hard to make Arthur a star again. He had near
zero cred in LA before Baby Lemonade started gigging with him. Now, due to out of
control ego, he is back with yet another band. Remember how dreadful the post
1968 versions of Love were?. The only saving grace is that Johnny Echols is playing
with him. You people are more forgiving and liberal than I am, a cat making threats
of violence to members of his bands (especially at this age) his major issues. The
other item that is sickening is his ego. If you listen to Arthur, The Beachboys suck,
he invented Jimi Hendrix, . You would think a little humility would go a long way in his case. That's one of the reasons he isn't in the R&R Hall Of Fame, he's burned so many bridges.
That said, I am a fan. Just a cynical one who refuses to be an enabler.

"Newbie" here!
AL has been a star for many years, long before he hooked up with BL, nobody "made" him one.
What exactly are we 'enabling' AL to do?
(The guy across the street messed up my yard, you got some time to
go beat him up for me? Please, I dont want you to enable him
to come and drive thru my yard again.)

BL, I think, may be making a new cd, that Im sure we will all enjoy.

Edited by - waxburn on 22/02/2006 20:44:36
Go to Top of Page

veryoldman
First Love

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2006 :  20:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZFarrar

You people are naive. What, Arthur stopped making death threats to members of his old band. Oh
jolly come to the UK?. I mean this guy is clinical, its beyond drugs. It's just a matter of time before he goes off again. The best band since the original got screwed over by his bull****, yet you Brits will welcome him back with open arms.

ZFarrar,

Firstly, please don't call me naive and secondly, I think you will notice that it isn't just the UK (or as you put it - Brits) that want to see AL and Love play again but also your fellow countrymen (or should I call you Yanks! ).

The people who post on this board love the music of Love and purely want to see and hear that music played by as many of the original band as is possible. If AL has put his demons to one side then great for him and for us. Lets hope that is the way it will continue - who knows. The positivity and strength that appears to be coming from Greg makes things sound pretty good at the moment and I would imagine that fans in the States, UK and the rest of Europe will be desperate to see AL and Love back on stage.

Not wishing to set another argument going, but to me AL is the figurehead of Love and as such is obviously very important to the band, whoever that band may be. To see AL in back in good health with a strong and supportive band playing the music we love - that is all I want.

Lets think positive and hope that we will soon be booking tickets to see Love again. Go for it Greg!

veryoldman
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2006 :  21:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ZFarrar

Thank you for replying.

I completely understand what you're saying. Most of us here have learned that to be a fan of Arthur is like being on a merry-go-round. Arthur certainly has the 'good guy-bad guy' personality. We've seen him seemingly at the top of his game when he was gigging with Baby Lemonade, and have seen him as not even being a player. Even his own band members know Arthur can be passionate, genius-like, and a great guy and then he can turn on you viciously with verbal venom. And yes I agree...a little humility can go a long way. But Arthur is Arthur. Lots of bad or at least certainly questionable traits, but we all still LOVE him for the music he has given us, and the mystique that surrounds him.

All of us know the good, bad, and ugly of Arthur. He certainly has burned some bridges, yet we all very much want the best for him. If he has managed to come back to the 'good side' as opposed to being on the 'far side', we're all happy for him and just want see him performing hopefully at the top of his game again. I guess you could call that 'enabling', but we're just BIG fans with an unending thirst. What more can I say?

I'm thinking you're on the Left Coast and I'm hoping when the new band makes it out there, you'll go see him. And if and when the next time comes that I get out there, let's get together and maybe do lunch. I know Canter's isn't the same like back in the 60's, but they probably still make one heck of a sandwich

veryoldman...nice reply. I'm with you-POSITIVE

Allan

Go to Top of Page

ZFarrar
Fourth Love

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2006 :  22:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allan you're a gentlemen & I appreciate what you're saying. Truth
is I probably would see him. Of course Arthur was a legend way before he joined forces with Baby Lemonade. What I was stating is by the early 90's, at least in LA he was sadly forgotten. I remember talking to the infamous Robert Hilburn at ther LA Times,
"c'mon Robert..how about writing a piece on Arthur". The answer
was, well yeah he is a musical genuis, but he is yesterday's news,
doesn't really have a band, and nobody is that interested. A few
years after that, that changed considerably with him making the cover story of LA weekly, numerous pieces on Love in the Times, and gigs around the Southland with his new band. I just hate to see it go south like that again. Let's see what happens, maybe
wink-wink he'll turn a new leaf.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page