Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 The Lilys

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kula John Posted - 26/01/2006 : 12:53:09
great contemporary 60s-inspired band....check out this site for mp3s

http://www.diamond.ssl.physics.ncsu.edu/lilys/

their 'nanny in manhattan' single released in '98 was amazing, 4 really cool tracks, currently on amazon for about 15p!!!

Believe me they really are worth checking out
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kula John Posted - 27/01/2006 : 12:46:59
yeh i got the nanny in manhattan single back in '98 too, but being only 14 at the time i wasnt into any kind of 60s, psychedlic stuff so just kind of forgot about it. Then a few weeks ago i turned it out and remembered wot an amazing single it was. Have got a couple of lilys albums and am glad i finally got round to discovering them properly..even if it was 8 years too late!!!

cheers for the recommendations too boombox, i'm a big fan of the shins and like OCS but havent heard of many of the others so will start investigating!!

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Scottishkeith Posted - 27/01/2006 : 11:04:39
There's a lot of "new" Pyschedelia around right so much so that I'm in the throws of putting out a compilation CD on my own label featuring some of the new beed of bands.

It's work in progress at the moment but "shamelss plugs" will follow nearer the time.

Keep the Faith

Keep The Faith
boombox Posted - 27/01/2006 : 10:12:52
Thirded! I bought the Nanny in Manhattan single when it came out.

There have been a few 60s/psychedelic sounding groups over the last ten years, other than Lilys and the mighty Kula Shaker. Try stuff by Orange, The Stairs, Octopus, Silver Sun and Ruth (who metamorphosed into the inferior Aqualung). Slightly more 90s sounding, but undeniably 60s influenced were the Milltown Brothers and the Real People, neither of whom got the credit they deserved and were forgotten about in the big Oasis-Blur fracas.

The list could go on to include The Marbles, The Diggers, The Grapes of Wrath, Teenage Fan Club of course, Ocean Colour Scene, Mother Earth (who returned to their 60s roots at the end) etc etc. Can't speak very much for the US scene other than Lilys, Beachwood Sparks and the Shins, though some time ago, I put together a compilation of mp3s I found on the net, including Bent Leg Fatima, The Grip Weeds, Asteroid #4 and Lenola, all of whom shared common influences.

There's a lot of good 60s style music out there - it's just difficult to find.
ruxprncd Posted - 27/01/2006 : 00:46:21
I'll second that - the Lilys are awesome.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page