Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 Trivia Question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jazmaan Posted - 16/12/2005 : 19:21:01
Ok this has more to do with Hendrix and Cream than Love, but I thought you might enjoy this trivia question.

What famous singer, who died in 1979, recorded exquisite covers of "Burning of the Midnight Lamp", "Sunshine of Your Love", "Tales of Brave Ulysses", "We're Going Wrong" and "Like a Rolling Stone" ?

No fair Googling singers who died in 1979! But no, the answer is not Sid Vicious!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boombox Posted - 21/12/2005 : 08:47:31
I too dug out that Texas show again and listened. Thought the same thing about that Sunshine riff, or almost lack of it. Just a short tease, but you still get the song.
jazmaan Posted - 20/12/2005 : 22:06:33
I've been listening to a lot of Rotary Connection this week. Some of their covers are truly outstanding. Especially when you think of how way ahead of their time those arrangements are.

They had no fear of completely deconstructing a popular song and then putting it back together on their own terms. One fantastic example is their version of "Respect". You can groove to that song all the way through and never even realize its the Aretha Franklin song unless you focus on the lyrics!

Same thing goes for their amazing version of "Sunshine of Your Love". Who else would have the balls to record that song WITHOUT Jack Bruce's classic riff? And still make it work! My hat is off to arranger Charles Stepney.

jazmaan Posted - 17/12/2005 : 08:47:41
I only discovered these songs myself recently - thanks again to vintage airchecks of Underground Radio.

And here's another group I just discovered that way - anybody here familiar with Battered Ornaments featuring Pete Brown? I heard the song "Sun Shades" today with its final line "If Jimi Hendrix could hear us now!"
ruxprncd Posted - 17/12/2005 : 05:27:26
jazmaan - thx for turning me on to this! i always loved MR's voice, had no idea she'd done these til now.
jazmaan Posted - 17/12/2005 : 03:03:23
Man you guys are smart! I had to give hints on the Hendrix message list.
boombox Posted - 17/12/2005 : 00:49:15
Funnily enough, earlier today I had cause to dig out my shns of the Texas International Pop Festival, so that one was easy.
Tina Posted - 16/12/2005 : 21:12:19
She also gets a name check on the new Stevie Wonder single, "Positivity"
torben Posted - 16/12/2005 : 19:45:37
She also recorded verions of songs from The Band, Rolling Stones and Artha Franklin.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page