Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 Who have you seen live recently

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mikeb Posted - 14/09/2005 : 09:46:49
Always interested to hear who is worth seeing live especially less well known artists. Here's my last two:

Drive By Truckers -Five piece Southern rock band from Alabama, three lead guitarists all of whom write songs. Blue collar Democrats, many lyrics reflect life in the South from that perspective. One of their albums was a double CD about the Lyrnd Skyrnd story and Alabama life at that time, Skyrnd is the closest band to their musical style. Live they did a two and a half hour set, each guitarist steps forward in turn and sings one of their numbers, their style means live their numbers are longer than on the CDs as the middle sections are jamming. Whisky and cartons of cigarettes on stage, no predetermined set list, lets rock! Great reception from the crowd, could have done with a little more light and shade which you get on the CD productions with some extra instrumentation and easier to follow the strong and interesting lyrical content but definitely worth seeing if you like that style of music.

Stooges Unbelievable, sitting near the front of the balcony looking down on the standing section below, exactly like some of the footage I have seen of his 60s act, time warp time with a straight Funhouse run through and stuff from the first album, Iggy stripped to the waist, climbing on the amps, throwing himself on the crowd, cups of beer and bras being thrown at him, inviting the crowd on stage for one number which at least 50 responded to, straight five star reviews from the newspapers, if this tour comes near you book it. If I was younger I would have been downstairs Live experiences rarely get this good.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SignedRW Posted - 03/02/2012 : 23:19:28
Richie Furay Band, with opener Gretchen Peters, at the Maverick Saloon in Santa Ynez, CA, on Wednesday, February 1. Ms. Peters was excellent, and her new release, "Hello, Cruel World," features some of her strongest songwriting to date. As for Richie and his band, words alone can't do him justice. If you don't already own his two disc live career retrospective CD, and have ever been a Buffalo Springfield, Poco, or Richie Furay fan, obtain a copy of it, post haste. And if Richie performs anywhere near you, do not hesitate to go to any means necessary to catch him; the man just never disappoints.
lemonade kid Posted - 02/02/2012 : 01:16:09
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

Jonathan Wilson was excellent at the Scala, Kings Cross, London last night, great band with him, freezing cold night but inside at the gig I felt I was back in some cool LA club in the 1970's.

Some of the numbers were better live than on the record, in particular the ones with electric guitar jamming, good sound and a moderately sized venue, capacity 1000 and I'd say 85/90% sold, meant you got more of a contrast between the quieter and louder sections of the music and at times a more prominent rhythm section.

Here's a good quality video of him doing Desert Raven live in New York January 21.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkY4dafNDoA

Very nice psychedelic rocker....never heard him! Thanks, mike!! You know I'll be all over this one!!

We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers & discoverers-
-thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses.
Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973

Now I am very embarrassed to say I HAVE Wilson's "Gentle Spirit" and have for months and just forgot to give it a listen...shameful!!

I AM NOW!! Nice.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
lemonade kid Posted - 01/02/2012 : 18:08:04
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

Jonathan Wilson was excellent at the Scala, Kings Cross, London last night, great band with him, freezing cold night but inside at the gig I felt I was back in some cool LA club in the 1970's.

Some of the numbers were better live than on the record, in particular the ones with electric guitar jamming, good sound and a moderately sized venue, capacity 1000 and I'd say 85/90% sold, meant you got more of a contrast between the quieter and louder sections of the music and at times a more prominent rhythm section.

Here's a good quality video of him doing Desert Raven live in New York January 21.

Very nice psychedelic rocker....never heard him! Thanks, mike!! You know I'll be all over this one!!

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
mikeb Posted - 01/02/2012 : 14:59:58

Old_Man Posted - 13/02/2011 : 19:42:14
No apologies for this - here's a review from the Guardian in the UK of the "Appointment With Mr. Yeats" show by the Waterboys at the Barbican in London recently. This is a great show! I'm hoping it goes on tour again later in the year when the album is released.If you can, go see it!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopreviews/8304061/The-Waterboys-Barbican-review.html
Old_Man Posted - 13/02/2011 : 19:41:31
No apologies for this - here's a review from the Guardian in the UK of the "Appointment With Mr. Yeats" show by the Waterboys at the Barbican in London recently. This is a great show! I'm hoping it goes on tour again later in the year when the album is released.If you can, go see it!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopreviews/8304061/The-Waterboys-Barbican-review.html
Old_Man Posted - 09/02/2011 : 21:30:21
Re The Waterboys show - An Appointment With Mr. Yeats - I forgot to mention that an album (possibly a double cd) of the same name should be coming out in September this year.
Joe Morris Posted - 04/02/2011 : 16:43:05
No relation to the Blue Wizards Alatar and Pallando of course!

http://www.flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/tolksarc.htm

(My favorite is the Tolkien board game!)
lemonade kid Posted - 03/02/2011 : 23:51:05
Of course.

Joe Morris Posted - 03/02/2011 : 23:36:30
is Gandalf a Maiar ?
Old_Man Posted - 03/02/2011 : 21:04:07
Saw The Waterboys in Glasgow last weekend performing Mike Scott's latest project, "An Appointment With Mr. Yeats". A superb show and an awesome piece of work from Mr Scott whos ambition it has been for a long time to put some of the poems of Irish poet W.B.Yeats to music. Twenty of the songs are performed in the show, most of them recently written with a couple from previous albums, "The Stolen Child" and "Love and Death". An amazingly good band of 10, including trombone, flute and oboe players, also a female vocalist with a beautiful ethereal voice, guitar, keyboards, drums and base, and of course Steve Wickham on fiddle and Mike Scott himself on lead vocals and guitar/piano. Encores on the night were old Waterboys faves The Whole of The Moon and Don't Bang The Drum. Go see!
boombox Posted - 22/10/2010 : 15:33:10
Gandalf Murphy & the Slambovian Circus of Dreams at their first UK Extra-Terrestrial Hillbilly Pirate Ball in Camden last night. Not so much a gig as an experience - multiple sets by the band in a variety of different guises. Not wanting to spoil any surprises for the US ball next week precludes my saying any more, but next year, if they do it again, GO!!

And like Mr Lofgren, they will happily chat to fans for hours - even when the security nazis are shouting" "5 mins...4 mins... 3mins..." etc
Old_Man Posted - 22/10/2010 : 13:44:56
I had hoped to see him on the scottish dates but alas circumstances wont allow! Seen him many times, there's no doubt about his mastery of the guitar, and he writes great songs too.
Dukie Posted - 22/10/2010 : 12:17:56
Nils Lofgren and Greg Varlotta at The Parc and Dare Theatre in Treorci, South Wales.Nils is an exceptional guitarist and pianist and the support provided by Greg Varlotta on keyboards, guitar and trumpet was perfect. Described as "An Acoustic Duo" this did not really do justice to the performance which exceeded my expectations. You would have to see the show to appreciate what I mean and if you live in the UK there are still 8 shows left on this tour.
After the show Nils stayed and signed autographs and chatted to fans for about an hour - it is not too often that artists engage with their fans in this way, but Nils really seems to enjoy this and had fond memories of the UK tour that he did with Tom Petty over 30 years ago!!
Old_Man Posted - 18/10/2010 : 23:06:49
They could've done the states in the early 60's when everyone else of note did, but management(?) decided to go to New Zealand instead!!!.......and the rest is history as they say.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page