Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 Van Der Graaf Generator

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MikeP Posted - 20/07/2005 : 01:28:28
While this may be old news to some, I only found ot the other day that this great British band had reformed after thirty years, had a pretty good new album out, and, what's more, are out gigging and giving stunning performances that are being saluted not only by old 'diehards' but also a new generation of fans of the bands who they influenced, and even jaundiced critics.
I was privileged to see them in my youth before they split in 1974. and can't wait to ee them again, should he opportunity arise. Without exaggeration, they remain the epitomes of consummate musicians, and, while their style may be too intense for some, their songs are well worth persevereing with. They have primarily agreed to settle their differences after all this time due to their leader, singer and guitarist Peter Hamill, having a major heart attack last year. Like Cream, it's now or never.
The best intro for the uninitiated is, perhaps, Hamill's lovely solo album 'Fool's Mate', which has lasted particularily well, the collection of his, 'Vision - The Love Songs', and their albums 'H to He', 'Pawn Hearts', 'Godbluff' and their new one, 'Present', which I have yet to hear, but have read enough about to be sure that it is up to the mark. As per usual, check them out on Amazon. The '70's weren't all Prog. They still prove the point. Any other fans on the messageboard, by any chance?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
caryne Posted - 21/07/2005 : 14:44:08
quote:
Originally posted by MikeP
[P.S. Caryne 1) Did you hear that when the Magic Numbers played T in the Park they had to stop their set for two minutes because the audience wouldn't stop cheering? A major band, methinks.
2) How was Al Green?

Glad to hear about The Magic Numbers, I'm looking forward to seeing them in Bristol in the autumn.

Al Green, not so good, excellent voice, but wanted the guy to sing his songs not keep stopping and expecting the audience to clap his every comment...no matter how banal and stupid. It was not my sort of gig at all. Pity, but just don't like that sort of thing.

Will, no doubt, check out those recommended things one day..thanks
samapplepie Posted - 21/07/2005 : 08:07:47
I have a nice 2 Cd set from the Royal Festival Hall show on 6 May 2005 to trade if anyone is interested

Kirk
MikeP Posted - 21/07/2005 : 02:18:56
After one day, this posting has had 21 views, and two of them were by me! Whoopee! Ah well, I'll still keep on plugging them to anyone who'll listen. If you like the occasional highly musical maelstrom with softer interludes, they, after all this time, remain the 'bees knees'. Caryne, if you do have a few pence spare, get Peter Hammill's 'Fools Mate', which features all the band, plus Lindisfarne, Robert Fripp and others. It is, I promise, a Very Good Record, that you'll want to keep. VDGG's 'Pawn Hearts' has just been re-released on Charisma, and features as an extra track their rare instrumental single 'Theme One', one of the most exhilarating, happiest pieces of music you'll ever hear, something to do a mad jig to if you've achieved something or done something nice. People who may think that the rest of this re-release is crap - it is the exact opposite IMHO - will still, I'm sure love it, and want to keep the record in their collections just for this one track. It's that good. It's not on the earlier, poorly remastered Virgin release. Avoid.
P.S. Caryne 1) Did you hear that when the Magic Numbers played T in the Park they had to stop their set for two minutes because the audience wouldn't stop cheering? A major band, methinks.
2) How was Al Green?
caryne Posted - 20/07/2005 : 08:16:29
I have to admit I was only 12 in 1974 and knew little of them, (knew lots of T.Rex though!!) However, what I have heard since has sounded interesting so maybe I'll be checking it out.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page