Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 CLEAR LIGHT-Elektra 1967 LA psych phenom

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 02/03/2016 : 17:41:17
"Kind of a minor league version of the Doors"...allmusic
One of my treasured Elektra vinyl records-lk

CLEAR LIGHT

Street Singer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXRBLyLQtiM

Clear Light was the only studio album released by the 1960s Los Angeles psychedelic rock band, Clear Light.

Recording commenced in April 1967 at Elektra Recording Studio in Los Angeles. The majority of the material was complete during these sessions, but the developments were postponed to replace Robbie Robison on guitar. Instead of a new guitarist, the band recruited keyboardist Ralph Schuckett, and, following a month of concerts, the band returned to recording in Sunset Sound Recorders Studios. The studios had just recently upgraded from a 4-track to an 8-track. A highlight of the recording sessions was the band's psychedelic interpretation of the composition "Mr. Blue".

Clear Light was released in September 1967 and peaked at number 126 on the Billboard pop albums chart. It combined elements of folk, rock, psychedelic, and classical music. It is an AMG music pick,[3] although the album was not a success at the time. The album featured the unique characteristic of including two leading drummers on their tracks.

"Black Roses" (Clear Light, Wolfgang Dios) 2:09
"Sand" (Douglas Lubahn) 2:38
"A Child's Smile" (Clear Light, Michael Ney) 1:37
"Street Singer" (Greg Copeland, Steve Noonan) 3:17
"The Ballad of Freddie and Larry" (Cliff De Young, Ralph Schuckett) 1:56
"With All in Mind" (Bob Seal) 2:58
"Mr. Blue" (Tom Paxton) 6:25
"Think Again" (Clear Light, Douglas Lubahn) 1:37
"They Who Have Nothing" (Bob Seal) 2:34
"How Many Days Have Passed" (Bob Seal) 2:24
"Night Sounds Loud" (Douglas Lubahn) 2:26
A later reissue of the album included a bonus track, "She's Ready to Be Free", which was the B-side of the group's first single.

Two drummers...Quite interesting to hear different drumming on left and right channels...best with headphones.

Clear Light full album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R78Zqq85UdE&list=PLB890D372669CAD00

AllMusic Review by Matthew Greenwald

Kind of a minor league version of the Doors, Clear Light were a West Coast phenomenon, and although they didn't last too long, were an interesting group. A very good slice of Los Angeles psychedelia, Clear Light were a six-piece band that combined folk, rock, psychedelia, and even a touch of classical to their sound. The end result, though, is a little ponderous and pretentious, but strangely listenable. The big hit off this album (produced by Paul Rothchild and engineered by Bruce Botnick) was "Mr. Blue," a psychedelic folk song written by Tom Paxton. It's over six-minutes long and a bit overbaked, but it does have an odd appeal. The finer moments are guitarist Bob Seal's psychedelic folk-rock songs, namely "With All in Mind" and "They Who Have Nothing." Singer Cliff DeYoung went on to have a successful acting career, bass player Doug Lubahn played on the early Doors albums, Dallas Taylor went on to drum for Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and John Sebastian, and keyboardist Ralph Schuckett became one of the more popular West Coast session players and arrangers. A lot of talent in a short-lived ensemble. Dated but charming West Coast psychedelia.

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. Ð GENE CLARK
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gray Newell Posted - 28/03/2016 : 21:38:16
Oh well, better late than never! Thanks for the kind words, Signed RW, I do try my best! The new Clear light CD is out and it features a number of previously unheard recordings by the original line up of the group from early 1967 as well as the two tracks they recorded as a demo in 1966 when they were known as The Brain Train. What is really cool is the new remaster - this is the best this album has ever sounded and for the first time you get to hear that double drumming in all its glory. The CD booklet is well worth a look too, I penned some in depth notes featuring quotes from the band and raided my archives for rare images of the band. You can hear samples here: https://www.acerecords.co.uk/clear-light-1
SignedRW Posted - 02/03/2016 : 19:27:21
I'm surprised we haven't heard from Gray Newell regarding the Big Beat
reissue of Clear Light, scheduled to be available as of last Friday.
Gray provides liner notes, the release includes eight bonus tracks,
and the remaster job is described as "definitive." I've come to have
great confidence in Gray's work, as well as in Big Beat, and am looking
forward to a Clear Light reissue of beauty and excellence.
lemonade kid Posted - 02/03/2016 : 17:41:57
Day-by-day diary of Clear Light...
A wonderful site by rock historian Bruno Ceriotti

http://brunoceriotti.weebly.com/clear-light.html

This day-by-day diary of Clear Light's live, studio, broadcasting and private activities is the result of three decades of research and interview work by Bruno Ceriotti, Gray Newell, and Nick Warburton, but without the significant contributions of other kindred spirits this diary would not have been possibile. So, we would like to thank all the people who, in one form or another, contributed to this timeline: Ross Hannan, Corry Arnold, Marc Skobac, Ralph Schuckett, Doug Lubahn, Alan Brackett, John Einarson, Paul D. Grushkin, Brian Hogg, Terry Hounsome, David Peter Housden, Vernon Joynson, Pete Long, Greg Shaw, Domenic Priore, Deena Canale, Richard Morton Jack, Steven M. Finger, Dennis Donley, Jim Salzer, Luis Futre, Michael Lazarus Scott, and John H. Warburg.

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. Ð GENE CLARK

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page