Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Farewell, Paul Kantner

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MikeP Posted - 29/01/2016 : 12:14:05
Thank you, dreamer. Blows Against The Empire....what an unsung work of genius you Grace and the rest made. Gone to play with Jerry. RIP
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 01/02/2016 : 16:06:26
My favorite rooftop concert...pre-dating The Beatles' rooftop concert. Both shut down by the coppers.

Jefferson Airplane - House at Pooneil Corners (In a New York roof 1968)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJJE5Wo_OY

So much music, so little time.
lemonade kid Posted - 01/02/2016 : 15:09:38
Hot Tuna - Wooden Ships - 3/4/1988 - Fillmore Auditorium (Official)
Grace's voice is in fine form. Paul and ex-wife Grace....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bosa0xwfk2g

lemonade kid Posted - 01/02/2016 : 14:56:56
Wooden Ships, Airplane live 1970...(Stills, Crosby, Kantner)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALc2de0VAgs

Written by: Rock Cellar Magazine Staff ©1970

R.I.P. Paul Kantner Ð Music Peers Weigh In on
Jefferson Airplane Co-FounderÕs Death

On Thursday, the San Francisco Chronicle broke the sad news that Paul Kantner, founding member of Jefferson Airplane, had passed away at hte age of 74 after a heart attack and subsequent complications.

News of KantnerÕs passing prompted remembrances by his former band mates Marty Balin and Jorma Kaukonen. Balin posted the following to Facebook, while Kaukonen penned a long letter on his official site:

Marty Balin
Musician/Band á 14,148 Likes á January 28 at 6:14pm á

PAUL
"So many memories rushing through my mind now. So many moments that he and I opened new worlds. He was the first guy I picked for the band and he was the first guy who taught me how to roll a joint. And although I know he liked to play the devil's advocate, I am sure he has earned his wings now". Sai Ram "Go with God". #paulkanter #jeffersonairplane #thejeffersonairplane
1,681 Likes á 174 Comments á 391 Shares

We knew yesterday that Paul had suffered a grievous heart attack and probably wasnÕt going to make it. We all hoped for better news, but it just wasnÕt to be.

Paul and I were old friends. Bob Kinzie introduced me to him when I was in Santa Clara in Ô62. Our commonality was always the music and whatever it took to make it happen. We all played the same little dusty, smoky roomsÉ struggled to be heard over the hiss of espresso machinesÉ and loved every moment of it. When Paul enticed me into joining what would become Jefferson Airplane, we rehearsed relentlessly. When we went on the road in the beginning we couch surfed together. No one could afford hotels. We shared foodÉ we shared carsÉ we had one heart.

The Airplane was an amazing aggregate of personalities and talent. That we could all coexist in the same room was amazing. That we could function together and make the lasting art that we did was nothing short of a miracle. In my opinion Paul was the catalyst that made the alchemy happen. He held our feet to the flame. He could be argumentative and contentiousÉ he could be loving and kindÉ his dedication to the AirplaneÕs destiny as he saw it was undeniable. Over the years he and I occasionally butted heads over things that seem trivial today. I was so pleased last year when he accepted my dinner invitation when I was in San Francisco and indeed we rediscovered our friendship.

After all those journeys together in the beginningÉ the different paths our lives took as we got older and all the water under the bridge made us all one in a way that no one who wasnÕt there could ever understand. We shared water from the same well. In Heinlein parlance, we were indeed water brothers. We were all on fire in a fiery time. Time may have dimmed the flame but the fire in the sky that was so easy to see in youth, is still discernible from the grey castle if you know where to look. I will try to keep my eyes open.

Friends are always goodÉ you canÕt have too many of them. That said, the old ones share that wondrous gift of knowing you when you were young. You canÕt buy that.

I will miss your presence on this planeÉ

Ride free to the end of the earth my old friendÉ I will not forget you!
-Marty

Other musical figures also weighed in on news of KantnerÕs passing:

David Crosby #10004;@thedavidcrosby
Paul Kantner was my friend,roommate, pal..we wrote Wooden Ships together with Stephen
I'm going to miss him

Roger McGuinn @RogerMcGuinn
R.I.P. Paul Kantner. You were a friend of mine.

Huey Lewis #10004;@Huey_Lewis_News
Paul Kantner was no less than one of the very few spokesmen for the entire hippie generation. Smart and funny with a deep rebel streak. Huey

Stevie Van Zandt #10004;@StevieVanZandt
Paul Kantner. Big loss. Stevie Wright from the Easybeats a few weeks ago. Too many comrades falling this month.

Rest in peace, Paul

Jefferson Starship - White Rabbit - 11/8/1975 - Winterland (Official)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoLcgxvf98

stewart Posted - 31/01/2016 : 18:38:01

[/quote]Wow, you saw Airplane and The Doors at the Roundhouse! I know a ton of folks at Freedomman's Doors forum that would LOVE to talk to you - who never saw The Doors live.

The Granada TV documentary 'The Doors are open' features footage over both nights tho obviously not the same as being there! Remember it so well because the DJ Jeff Dexter played what i think was an advance copy of Joe Cocker's 'with a little help from my friends' and the whole of side 1 of The Byrds 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo! Crazy times!

stewart Posted - 31/01/2016 : 16:16:01
quote:
Originally posted by MikeP

Hi Stewart, I saw the Airplane for the only time the day before you when to warm up for the Roundhouse they did a free concert on Parliament Hill Fields, with Fairport Convention inc. Sandy Denny in support. It was my first gig and I was twelve. So long ago now, but we have the memories and were so privileged, as we were to see Arthur.

God I lived in Crouch End then and never knew about that gig thats so annoying! just googled and found this about it http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/camden-Festival.html. At the Roundhouse gigs the Airplane headlined one night with the Doors supporting and the roles reversed the next night (when I went), which was kinda democratic. Ah Parliament Hill Fields, i saw one free concert there including John Fahey, Procol Harum were the main band. Free concerts, those were the days! I went down to London (from Middlesbrough) to see the first in Hyde Park with the Pink Floyd and then moved down to London for a year or so. Main other free one in Hyde park I saw was with Peter Green's Fleetwood mac, Family, and Fairport. Great era
MikeP Posted - 30/01/2016 : 00:04:50
Hi Stewart, I saw the Airplane for the only time the day before you when to warm up for the Roundhouse they did a free concert on Parliament Hill Fields, with Fairport Convention inc. Sandy Denny in support. It was my first gig and I was twelve. So long ago now, but we have the memories and were so privileged, as we were to see Arthur.
lemonade kid Posted - 29/01/2016 : 17:05:53
quote:
Originally posted by stewart

another sad loss, only saw the Airplane once at the Roundhouse, London supporting the Doors but their first 3 studio albums in particular were life changing

Wow, you saw Airplane and The Doors at the Roundhouse! I know a ton of folks at Freedomman's Doors forum that would LOVE to talk to you - who never saw The Doors live.
I saw The Airplane during their Volunteers tour, early 1970. So damn great. So I got to hear music from every album that we love. What a show!

stewart Posted - 29/01/2016 : 16:51:52
another sad loss, only saw the Airplane once at the Roundhouse, London supporting the Doors but their first 3 studio albums in particular were life changing
lemonade kid Posted - 29/01/2016 : 15:03:30
Another sad loss in January 2016!

If there is a heaven this group of artists will reunite someday...they way they did on this album...

Music Is Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whHiLfVuq5Y&list=PL-N0tJks-UazdmejcsIWFBBVCOwY6OEqu

Artists the appeared on this amazing LP--

David Crosby Ñ vocals, guitars
Graham Nash Ñ guitar, vocal on "Music Is Love"; vocals on "Tamalpais High," "Laughing," "What Are Their Names," "Traction in the Rain," and "Song with No Words"
Jerry Garcia Ñ electric guitar on "Cowboy Movie," "Tamalpais High," "What Are Their Names," and "Song with No Words"; pedal steel guitar on "Laughing"; guitars on "Kids and Dogs"; vocal on "What Are Their Names"
Neil Young Ñ guitars, vocals on "Music Is Love" and "What Are Their Names"; bass, vibraphone, congas on "Music Is Love"
Jorma Kaukonen Ñ electric guitar on "Tamalpais High" and "Song with No Words"
Laura Allan Ñ autoharp, vocal on "Traction in the Rain"
Gregg Rolie Ñ piano on "Song with No Words"
Phil Lesh Ñ bass on "Cowboy Movie," "Tamalpais High," "Laughing," and "What Are Their Names"; vocal on "What Are Their Names?"
Jack Casady Ñ bass on "Song with No Words"
Bill Kreutzmann Ñ drums on "Tamalpais High" and "Laughing"; tambourine on "Cowboy Movie"
Michael Shrieve Ñ drums on "What Are Their Names" and "Song with No Words"
Mickey Hart Ñ drums on "Cowboy Movie"
Joni Mitchell Ñ vocals on "Laughing" and "What Are Their Names"
David Freiberg, Paul Kantner, Grace Slick Ñ vocals on "What Are Their Names"

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page