Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 What To Play The Kids

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MikeP Posted - 28/06/2005 : 03:00:57
I'm trying to give my trio of beautiful and musically gifted daughters - eight year old twins and a six year old - a sound education in this area, and would welcome suggestions or recommendations, particularily from the greying heads on the messageboard who have been this way already. The first CD's I've got them have been the Langley Schools Project and Pet Sounds. To come home from work on Sunday and see them gathereed round the TV watching Brian Wilson at Glastonbury and singing along was beyond sweet.
The likes of Astral Weeks, Whats Going On and, of course, FC will follow when I think the time is right, but I would love to hear what have proven to be big hits in other households. Obscurity and genre unimportant. My wife has been indoctrinating them with the likes of Keane and REM, and their knowledge of the lyrics of the latter is verging on the scarily unhealthy. Help!
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ALLANAGAIN Posted - 16/07/2005 : 18:53:36
Hi Mike, yes, SYDERY is great stuff for the little ones, i remember mine loving TERRAPIN, Glad you mentioned AHM,as i havent played it in ages..love IF + the fat old sun..i,m gonna put it on the c.d. player now.
If you dont have any SYD, you could do alot worse than " wouldent you miss me ?" a compilation from 2001.....LOVE...Allan
MikeP Posted - 16/07/2005 : 02:27:59
Ashamed to admit it, but the earliest Floyd I've got is AHM. Thank you for finally giving me the impetus to buy assorted Sydery. Excellent idea, which I've a hunch will go down very well. Today one of my eight year olds, without any prompting, announced tbat she'd grown out of Keane because they were too boring. Yes!!!
ALLANAGAIN Posted - 15/07/2005 : 15:36:44
My son who is now a "Hip- Hop Head of 18 used to love the HEDGEHOG SONG by Incredible string band, and loadsa Donavon songs when he was small, and my daughter of 14 used to love BIKE from the 1st Floyd album

especially Gerald the Mouse...LOL...great memories
boombox Posted - 15/07/2005 : 01:44:59
A mate of mine has three kids aged between 5 and 16 who love Country Joe as a result of being bombarded with his albums and live recordings for years. He did get worried though when the five year old started singing, "I like marijuana" while dancing round the house. He decided there and then to stop playing CJ at home in case she started singing it at school!!
caryne Posted - 14/07/2005 : 03:26:40
I had to laugh at taking the 'unborn' son to see Neil Young...mainly because my daughter, now aged 21, tells all her mates she went to a gig by 'The Clash' because, of course, I attended when 8 months pregnant!
Still, it's all rubbed off, and I can't have done too badly because I read on her blog recently that 'my Mum has the bst record collection in the world', so I must have done soemthing right
Bobinbed Posted - 13/07/2005 : 20:09:42
I took my oldest son to hear Neil Young on the Mirrorball tour in 1995, when he was still unborn. I hope he enjoyed it! I sure did... Now, at nine years old, his favourite bands are T-Rex and Beatles. My 7½ year old likes pretty much everything and hasn't developed any particular "taste" yet. I have always played a lot of music in our home. Very varied such. Beatles, Kaleidoscope, Hawkwind, AC DC, The Sex Pistols, T-Rex, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Dick Dale, The Cure, Iggy Pop, etc. etc. etc. I don't believe in consciously steering a child into a certain music taste. Let it come naturally by playing all sorts of music to them.

~Gravity is not responsible for people falling in love~
MikeP Posted - 01/07/2005 : 00:58:40
Thanks for the suggestions, folks - more welcome. Had I heard of them earlier I reckon the first stuff my kids would have heard outside the womb would have been Raymond Scott's 'Soothing Sounds For Baby' Vols. 1-3. Check out him and them on Amazon com Music. The godfather of electronica/ ambient. Thanks for reminding me of Mr. Richman's existence, Oldfart. A Very Nice/Silly Man. As for Motorhead, well, I'm all in favour of the occasional bit of Mr. Kilminster. Did anyone see the version of Ace of Spades on the late night Glastonbury TV show performed by Hayseed Dixie? Totally brilliant playing by a group of superbly gifted, amiable nutters. Wish they were a Love support band...
ruxprncd Posted - 30/06/2005 : 23:22:20
Motorhead.
LarryNYC Posted - 30/06/2005 : 22:09:29
The first time I noticed my son singing along to music was in the car. It was really funny hearing a 3 year old singing "and the girls go crazy for a sharp dressed man "
caryne Posted - 30/06/2005 : 21:59:48
My daughter was into 'Calamity Jane' and the 'Deadwood Stage' whenshe was younger and look how she grew up?? lol
oldfartatplay Posted - 30/06/2005 : 21:56:57
In our household a 'Best of' compilation tape of Hank Williams was,and still is,a favuorite for long car journeys.With tracks like 'My Bucket's Got a Hole in it',Move it on Over,& 'Hey,Good Looking' leading in the sing-a-long stakes.Another early favourite was a tape of classic'Children's Favourites',including such gems as Burl Ives 'I know an Old Lady'&'Big Rock Candy Mountain',Charles Penrose 'The Laughing Policeman',Vernon Daelhart's(?)'Runaway Train',Doris Day's 'Deadwood Stage',and many others.Oh,the Deadwood Stage is comin' on over the hill.....Yup!Still great stuff!(PS: Jonathan Richman is popular with kids of ALL ages).
MikeP Posted - 29/06/2005 : 01:11:02
They've started out broadminded and I hope they stay that way. The first music I ever played my twins when they were very small was Jimmy Reed and also 'Morris On' (remember that?) and they bopped manically to both. I hope that their critical faculties are in a state of continual evolution as, perhaps because I've been around long enough to have heard it all before, I have found a lot of what I've heard recently plain dull. However, it'll be new to them, so I'll try to bite my tongue and hope they work that out for themselves.

PS, my internet TV won't do smiley faces - invisible one herewith.
caryne Posted - 29/06/2005 : 00:04:51
I have to agree with Lizzy, don't think consciously about it..they'll only fight back
My kids are now 21, 18 and 13 and like lots of the same music as me (took the eldest and youngest to see Love last year for the first time)but they've just picked up on what I've been listening to there's never been any big thing about 'you must like this'. Just listen to what you want and, if they've got any taste they'll pick up on it.
Lizzyb Posted - 28/06/2005 : 10:58:48
we didn't think about it much, just played stuff in the car on long journeys and at home. I couldn't say what came when, but my two have an astonishing range of musical knowledge, because they've built on the base. My daughter may be seriously into what passes for R&B these days but she sings along with most of Love's albums and other gems. my son just loves music - jazz, percussion, world stuff,though not very tolerant of the manufactured charts.

I say just be yourself, play your stuff, teach musical tolerance if nothing else. Music is such a powerful uplifter it's good to be able to tap into as much as you can.

Keep on shining

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page