Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 Syd Barrett

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John E Posted - 15/06/2005 : 20:56:38
There's a colour pic of Syd Barrett in tonight's London Evening Standard. He's bald, with pale blue shirt, khaki shorts and black canvas shoes. Apparently he's fine, very well, does DIY, listens to music and goes out. He lives off royalties, doesn't want to see the Floyd or fans, and rarely answers the door. Love, John E
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
oldfartatplay Posted - 24/06/2005 : 01:49:16
Yo'Larry - Have to second you there....'Piper at the Gates' is still (IMHO) the greatest psychedelic album produced in these fair isles,and remains the only Floyd album regularly given an airing in this establishment (Occasionally followed by 'Saucerful' or the 'Relics' compilation).I missed out on the Syd line-up,catching my first Floyd gig at Portsmouth Guildhall in about '67(?),very shortly after Syd's departure,and saw them about half a dozen times in all.The Knebworth gig was one to remember,as was the very early airing of 'Dark Side'at Bournemouth Winter Gardens in '71/72(?),but one that I particularly treasure was the large all-dayer at the Crystal Palace bowl,with the Faces,Mountain,& others in support.I recall seeing Dave Gilmour strolling around casually talking to folk in the crowd (A long way from to-days ultra-paranoid ring fenced security!).I was also approached by a rather strange moustachioed gentleman who appeared to be wearing an old table-cloth as a cape,and a curtain-sash as a head-band,but with very large polished black shoes."Excuse me maaannnn!But do you know where I can get some hard stuff?"he enquired.I immediately realised that I was under the gaze of the then 'state of the art'(circa early '70's)under-cover techniques of the Metropolitan police,and shrugged my shoulders.He moved off in the direction of the next cluster of likely-looking long-hairs,while in front of the stage,several 'chemically-enhanced'punters were attempting to swim/wade the small lake that seperated the masses from the performers.It was hot,it was hazey,and with the Floyd utilising their full 360 degree sound system....it was magic!
LarryNYC Posted - 22/06/2005 : 22:31:53
Syd's Floyd was pure psychedelic magic !When Syd left the rest of them tried far too hard to be sensible and completely lost the plot.Says me listening to Astronomy Domine as I type lol
Bobinbed Posted - 22/06/2005 : 22:16:17
Floyd were at their best when Syd was with them. My boyfriend calls it "The unlistenable period"... I disagree.

~Gravity is not responsible for people falling in love~
caryne Posted - 19/06/2005 : 15:00:56
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Pravda

Syd is a legend, and always will be. I love Syd's Floyd, but anything since (Pink Floyd) has just been really poor. His solo records are really good aswell. Glad to hear he his alright,

I agree with you there Matin, none of the post-Syd Floyd stuff does anything for me either...glad I'm not alone on that opinion.
Old_Man Posted - 18/06/2005 : 13:42:21
He's lost a lot of weight too I think
Martin Pravda Posted - 18/06/2005 : 13:33:26
Syd is a legend, and always will be. I love Syd's Floyd, but anything since (Pink Floyd) has just been really poor. His solo records are really good aswell. Glad to hear he his alright,
Lizzyb Posted - 16/06/2005 : 19:13:02
once upon a time in the Olden Days I saw Floyd (don't remember who with though, must check my old diaries) at the City Hall in Newcastle. amazing. then the following day, i had to be at the same venue for a school rehearsal... No idea how or why, but their bus came by that morning, maybe they forgot something. So there were about 500 schoolgirls in uniform singing... My big memory was of being unconsolable because there was no Syd or Rick...
ah youth

hell just remembered another one. JoanieD once had a Man who owned a fur coat previously enjoyed by Rog Waters. we were sooo impressed.

Keep on shining
John E Posted - 16/06/2005 : 13:02:15
Hi Larry,
Wow! You saw Syd with the Floyd all those times...that's pretty amazing. I only saw Syd once, when he did a "solo" appearance in London (I can't remember, but he may have had some sort of accompaniment). This was at a diverse series of concerts called "Extravaganza '70 at Olympia...I also saw Procol Harum, Black Sabbath, Julie and others there. I remember Syd peeking out nervously from behind the curtain before he came on, but he performed okay, even though he only played a few songs. I'm not sure what they were, but "Effervescing Elephant" springs to mind.
All the best, John E
LarryNYC Posted - 15/06/2005 : 22:54:52
Guess I'm a lucky one, I saw Floyd around 9 times and never without Syd, I'll never forget the boiling kettles, frying eggs etc of some of those early gigs lol.
caryne Posted - 15/06/2005 : 22:20:54
Can't say I blame him, I wouldn't want to see Floyd without Sid either!!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page