Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Best bass lines..Harrison? Palmer, Hillman?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 01/05/2014 : 13:41:49
I'll start with an obvious bassist...one of the all time innovators.

Wow! What a bass line...one long RIFF!
HEY BULLDOG!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spNzkzcfOuM

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 03/05/2014 : 12:18:16
SHE SAID SHE SAID...George-Beatle does a cracker jack job on bass...though he could not be called on of the greatest bassists ever, of course, he can claim to have helped to construct the song with John and to have played bass on one of the greatest songs of all time! AND Georgie came up with one of the greatest guitar riffs of all time here also!! Enough for me to realize the Harrison was one of the grreatest guitarists ever...not for fret speed but for "colour", if you kow what I mean. Lennon said that even at 16, George could get more "colour" out of a guitar than any he had ever heard.

She Said She Said
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wp91YPGnLw&feature=kp

This was the final track recorded during the Revolver sessions, and was hastily added when the album line-up was found to be a song short. It took nine hours to rehearse and record the entire song, complete with overdubs. After the recording of the song The Beatles' producer George Martin is reported to have said: "All right, boys, I'm just going for a lie-down."

Harrison said he helped Lennon construct the song from two separate "bits". McCartney does not appear on the track; the bass is played by Harrison. McCartney said, "I'm not sure but I think it was one of the only Beatle records I never played on. I think we had a barney or something and I said, 'Oh, **** you!,' and they said, 'Well, we'll do it.'"

Personnel

John Lennon Ð lead and harmony vocals, rhythm guitar, Hammond organ
George Harrison Ð backing vocal, lead guitar, bass
Ringo Starr Ð drums, shaker

Leonard Bernstein said "She Said She Said" was the greatest pop song ever written.

"She Said She Said" is a song written by John Lennon (credited to LennonÐMcCartney) and released by the Beatles on their 1966 album Revolver. Lennon described it as "an 'acidy' song" with lyrics inspired by actor and counterculture icon Peter Fonda's comments during an LSD trip in 1965 with members of the Beatles and the Byrds.

In late August 1965, Brian Epstein had rented a house at 2850 Benedict Canyon Drive in Beverly Hills, California for the Beatles' six-day respite from their U.S. tour. The huge Spanish-style house was tucked into the side of a mountain. Soon their address became widely known and the area was besieged by fans who blocked roads and tried to scale the steep canyon while others rented helicopters to spy from overhead. The police department detailed a tactical squad of officers to protect the band and the house. The Beatles found it impossible to leave and instead invited guests including actors Eleanor Bron (who co-starred with them in Help!), Peggy Lipton and folk singer Joan Baez. On 24 August, they hosted the Byrds and Fonda and, all except Paul McCartney, took LSD.

Fonda wrote for Rolling Stone magazine:

ÒI finally made my way past the kids and the guards. Paul and George were on the back patio, and the helicopters were patrolling overhead. They were sitting at a table under an umbrella in a rather comical attempt at privacy. Soon afterwards we dropped acid and began tripping for what would prove to be all night and most of the next day; all of us, including the original Byrds, eventually ended up inside a huge, empty and sunken tub in the bathroom, babbling our minds away.
I had the privilege of listening to the four of them sing, play around and scheme about what they would compose and achieve. They were so enthusiastic, so full of fun. John was the wittiest and most astute. I enjoyed just hearing him speak and there were no pretensions in his manner. He just sat around, laying out lines of poetry and thinking Ð an amazing mind. He talked a lot yet he still seemed so private."

It was a thoroughly tripped-out atmosphere because they kept finding girls hiding under tables and so forth: one snuck into the poolroom through a window while an acid-fired Ringo was shooting pool with the wrong end of the cue. "Wrong end?" heÕd say. "So what ****inÕ difference does it make?"

Ó
As the group passed time in the large sunken tub in the bathroom Fonda brought up his nearly fatal self-inflicted childhood gunshot accident, writing later that he was trying to comfort a frightened George Harrison. Fonda said that he knew what it was like to be dead. Lennon snapped, "Listen mate, shut up about that stuff",[9] and "You're making me feel like I've never been born." Lennon explained, "We didn't want to hear about that! We were on an acid trip and the sun was shining and the girls were dancing (some from Playboy, I believe) and the whole thing was really beautiful and Sixties. And this guyÑwho I really didn't know, he hadn't made Easy Rider or anythingÑkept coming over, wearing shades, saying 'I know what it's like to be dead,' and we kept leaving him because he was so boring. It was scary, when you're flying high: 'Don't tell me about it. I don't want to know what it's like to be dead!'" "... [H]e was showing us his bullet wound. He was very uncool," Harrison added.

McCartney recalls: "Fonda seemed to us to be a bit wasted; he was a little out of it. I don't know if we expected a bit more of Henry [Fonda]'s son but he was certainly of our generation and he was alright." Actress Salli Sachse recalled: "Peter was really into music. He couldn't wait until The BeatlesÕ Revolver album came out. We went to the music store and played it, trying to hear any hidden messages."

When someone realised that they had not eaten all day the group tried to make dinner in the kitchen but Lennon was too confused from the drug to use his knife and fork properly and as he tried to stop his food from moving around on his plate he spilled it onto the floor.
-wiki

It is purported that it was originally "He Said He Said", in reference to Fonda going on & on about being dead, but of course, Lennon in his infinite wisdom, realized that "He Said He Said" did not sound right at all for his new song lyrics, at all.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
lemonade kid Posted - 02/05/2014 : 17:48:46
Bruce Palmer of Buffalo Springfield was the heartbeat of the group, and as much as Neil's on/off relationship, Palmer's deportation broke the heat and soul of Springfield and was a major factor in their ultimate breakup. If Bruce had not bee n busted and "removed "to Canada, Neil may not have been so prone to leave Buffalo so soon.

Bruce was a huge influence on bass players along the strip and he was emulated and loved by all. Quite groundbreaking actually.

Then we have Byrds' Chris Hillman...never a bass player in his early days, he was a master Mandolin player, but McGuinn wanted a bass player and chose Chris to fill the part. I don't know if Chris was ever happy as a bassist (rw, do you know?), but Hillman became as adept a bassist as any of the day and his bass-lines on Younger Than Yesterday have been praised and placed in the rarified air of McCartney's playing on Sgt. Peppers!!

If you have the chance, get the mono LP wherein the bass lines are punched up to the highest level...stereo is a bit weaker on the audio!

Just listen to So You Want To Be A Rock & Roll Star--Chris' bass-lines have always given chills!

Younger Than Yesterday-side one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ODvfc2XvXE

-Aldous Huxley
markk Posted - 02/05/2014 : 16:43:40
That's some very cool stuff, that you wouldn't think of too much.
But I think the CREAM of it is Jack Bruce, Sunshine of Your Love, I mean who doesn't know that opening riff.
lemonade kid Posted - 01/05/2014 : 22:37:11
Jaco Pastorius

I love Jaco...his work on Joni Mitchell's albums were my first exposure to his genius.

Talk To Me...wow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkAOURhLdw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkAOURhLdw
Refuge Of The Roads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mZErvdXVM&feature=kp

Off Night Backstreet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrsub53A9EE

-Aldous Huxley
captain america and billy Posted - 01/05/2014 : 16:23:20
I've always held utmost respect for bassists such as Jack Bruce and Noel Redding who played in power trios due to the fact that power trios generally have no rhythm guitar so each of the other members have to work harder to create to same quality of feel.Actually in the first place,Bruce and Redding along with,of course rock's all time greatest MR. John Entwistle possessed magnificent raw gifts for the instrument.Pete Townsend has gone as far as to say that Entwistle virtually re-invented the bass.And by the way LK,great call on "Hey Bulldog".Defintiely one of the three songs that come immediately to mind when I thing about my all time favorite bass performances.The other two,"Paperback Writer" and,of course,Entwistle's eternally marvelous bass solo on the Who's "My Generation".I'm glad someone brought this subject up.Bass players in most classic rock bands have been overshadowed by LEAD guitarists,drummers and front men singers.Hats off to those who have mastered this generally overlooked piece of classic rock lore!
lemonade kid Posted - 01/05/2014 : 13:57:55
Jack Bruce or Jack Cassidy...both brilliant! Both made the brilliant transition from Jazz to Rock and back again

Bruce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3woo8rtnOP8

Cassidy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulk2AoMzyxo

Jorma, Jack & Barry acoustic Good Shepard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6cJR9copFw

-Aldous Huxley

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page