Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 JOHN MARTYN-Grace & Danger...some people are crazy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 29/04/2014 : 15:28:18
...one of John's finest LPs.

Grace and Danger

Some People Are Crazy...so perfect live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRakhUtvlSQ

The album was written and recorded while John Martyn was in the process of divorcing his wife Beverley and the songs strongly reflect the emotional upheaval that he was experiencing at the time. Phil Collins played drums and provided backing vocals. The release of the album was delayed by Island Records for a year because Chris Blackwell, the label owner (and friend of both John and Beverley) found the album too depressing. Producer Martin Levan said of the delay that "the messages I was getting back was that Chris [Blackwell] felt it was too sad and he didn't want to put it out. He felt it too depressing and didn't want it released." Speaking in 1981, Martyn captured his frustration at the situation, "I freaked: 'Please get it out! I don't give a damn how sad it makes you feel - It's what I'm about: direct communication of emotion."

When released, Rolling Stone described the album as "a very strong outing for John Martyn, placing him in a class with such intelligent eclectics as Joan Armatrading and Joni Mitchell." Grace and Danger was released in a deluxe edition in February 2007, which featured the original album remastered, with a second CD of demos and offcuts. The BBC Scotland programme Scotland's Music, presented by Phil Cunningham included a performance of "Hurt In Your Heart" by Martyn during its November 2007 episode "Love & Loss". -wiki

The album cover was created by UK photographer/artist Sandy Porter.

All tracks composed by John Martyn except where indicated.

"Some People Are Crazy" Ð 4:19
"Grace and Danger" Ð 4:02
"Lookin' On" Ð 5:11
"Johnny Too Bad" (The Slickers: Winston Bailey, Hylton Beckford, Derrick Crooks, Delroy Wilson; with additional lyrics by John Martyn) Ð 3:56
"Sweet Little Mystery" Ð 5:28
"Hurt In Your Heart" Ð 4:58
"Baby Please Come Home" Ð 3:56
"Save Some (For Me)" Ð 3:34
"Our Love" (John Martyn, Beverley Martyn) Ð 3:57

John Martyn - Guitar, vocals
Tommy Eyre - Keyboards, Synthesisers
John Giblin - Bass
Phil Collins - Drums, Backing vocals
Dave Lawson - additional synthesisers on "Some People Are Crazy", "Sweet Little Mystery" & "Baby Please Come Home"
Martin Levan - Producer

Grace and Danger--live from the BBC dvd...also a must have!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ObtoAW-RU

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 30/04/2014 : 21:41:16
SUNDAY'S CHILD is another great album from John

Sunday's Child is a John Martyn album released in 1975. John Martyn's follow-up to 1973's Inside Out is a more song-oriented, less experimental album. His eighth record, including two with his wife Beverley Martyn, shows the many facets of Martyn's playing, from his effects-driven electric guitar to his acoustic work. This album contains a collection of strong original songs, as well as a pair of covers: the traditional British ballad "Spencer the Rover" and the country standard "Satisfied Mind."
-Wikipedia

The Message, Spencer The Rover, & Lay It All Down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXvIvXqCgSg

Playlist page...
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=john+matyn+sundays+child&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=john+martyn+one+day+without+you&rls=en&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAGOovnz8BQMDgwEHsxCXfq6-gWFWSXJ6mRIniF2UZGJpoCWanWyln1tanJmsn5iTVJprVZyfl178flERA9fUL1k2l0589H4rF_OM_0Y3AF82rvNNAAAA

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Joe Morris Posted - 29/04/2014 : 23:09:15
Sweet little mystery is just lovely

this is a great cover of that song - hey! I think its me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThW7k953ShE

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page