Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 RECORD STORE DAY-what did you score?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 19/04/2014 : 19:47:42
What did you score on Record Store Day

Free concerts give Record Store Day a lively spin
MaineÕs Bull Moose is a cornerstone of the celebration of independent music stores.

By Ray Routhier rrouthier@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

Ten free concerts in one day.

THERE ARE MORE THAN 450 special Record Store Day releases this year, including re-issues, box sets, vinyl and other fun stuff. You can find a complete list at Recordstoreday.com. But here are a few highlights from Chris Brown, head of marketing at Bull Moose music stores and one of the original organizers of Record Store Day.

ThatÕs just part of whatÕs happening, locally, when the seventh Record Store Day is held around the nation Saturday. Amy Allen, Ghost of Paul Revere and North of Nashville are among the local bands doing free shows in Maine stores.

But Record Store Day will also feature some 450 special releases, being sold around the country in honor of the day. There will be re-issues, special box sets and vinyl picture discs.

Browsing the special releases on Saturday one might find a vinyl re-issue of Joan BaezÕs 1971 album ÒBlessed Are,Ó a glow-in-the-dark vinyl edition of the ÒGhostbustersÓ movie theme by Ray Parker Jr., or a 10-inch vinyl record featuring previously unreleased Hank Williams songs from a 1950 radio show.

But the live shows are really what makes Record Store Day more than just an excuse to shop.

ÒWithout the shows, it would be Record Store Morning. Everybody would come out and buy the special releases, and be done,Ó said Chris Brown, head of marketing for the Maine-based Bull Moose music store chain. ÒTo me, thatÕs what really makes it a holiday.Ó

Record Store Day is a celebration of independent record stores, as well as the folks who cherish them as local institutions. ItÕs been celebrated around the country since 2008, and this year more than 1,000 are expected to participate.

Brown of Bull Moose was one of the originators of the idea, suggesting the idea to a group of record store owners. In Maine, Bull Moose is a cornerstone of Record Store Day, and the only store that has listed live performances on the Record Store Day website.

But that doesnÕt mean some shows wonÕt pop up at the last minute, so if you have a favorite record store in your neighborhood, give them a call, just in case.

ÒThe live events are the last things to be scheduled,Ó said Carrie Colliton, a Record Store Day co-founder who helps manage the annual event nationwide. ÒItÕs always exciting to see what the stores come up with for acts.Ó

Colliton knew of only a couple other stores in other states that have 10 or more acts during the day Saturday, as Bull Moose does, including ones in Nashville and Atlanta.

Some of the best-known acts scheduled to play Record Store Day shows this year include Robert Trujillo of Metallica (in Baltimore), Drive By Truckers (in Denver) and Eric Burdon of the Animals (in Miami).

ÒI donÕt really like to compare the stores É every one of them throws a terrific party for their community and customers,Ó Colliton said.

Staff Writer Ray Routhier can be contacted at 791-6454 or at:

rrouthier@pressherald.com

Twitter: RayRouthier

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dyecraig Posted - 21/04/2014 : 01:33:52
Every year I say never again and every year I go back!
It is a lot of hype and it does seem to benefit the major labels these days rather than the record stores and indie labels. A few friends had difficulty getting their releases pressed in time due to high volume at the pressing plants from the majors. But I'm just a sucker for vinyl:

Bowie - 1984 picture disc 45 (Diamond Dogs damaged me as a youth!)
Donny Hathaway - Live at the Bitter End 1971 (this is soul music!!)
The Orwells - The Righteous One (a band to watch)
The Pogues - Live w/Joe Strummer (epic and truly righteous!!)
The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle (Love's favorite opening band - hah!)
The Wizard of Oz - OST (emerald green vinyl, baby!)

would have liked, but I will live:
Velvet Underground - Loaded (pink and black splattered vinyl!)
Nino Rota - Amarcord OST (my first Fellini - also had a damaging effect on me!)

BTW LKid, the NY 'ditch trilogy +1' has been pushed back to next Black Friday!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page