Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 State of the CD

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rocker Posted - 23/09/2013 : 20:53:17
Not sure if it's my luck or what but recently cd's I've had don't work. Clicks, pops, misses you know. One cd is one of those Dr Ebbett's cds (unofficial Beatles stuff). I've had that cd for awhile but it's like the cd deteriorated without even playing them so much. Annoys me!..;-)...I don't think it's the cd player since it's relatively new one. I have the feeling that the stuff they're making them out of isn't so hot.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
captain america and billy Posted - 27/09/2013 : 16:22:29
All throughout the CD's heyday,I've always preferred vinyl.Being a huge fan of 60's 70's classic rock,I personally don't see how ANYONE could POSSIBLY favor the CD versions of these works.They were recorded analog therefore they sound best with analog re-producers.Period.
lemonade kid Posted - 27/09/2013 : 15:30:26
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I think that you invested in the mono Beatles box, LK whilst I took the stereo. Either way the quality seems pretty good and I am confident that they will still be serviceable when we are both six foot under....many years ahead, I trust.

I have very recently returned from Vienna where I was on an art history trip. I attended a magnificent concert of Mozart's music and then bought some classical music on CD. Schoenberg and Mozart on Deutsche Grammophon - the sound quality is fantastic.

I have quite a few of those classical masterpieces on vintage Deutsche Grammophon vinyl and they are extreme audio pleasures.

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk
John9 Posted - 26/09/2013 : 23:03:07
I think that you invested in the mono Beatles box, LK whilst I took the stereo. Either way the quality seems pretty good and I am confident that they will still be serviceable when we are both six foot under....many years ahead, I trust.

I have very recently returned from Vienna where I was on an art history trip. I attended a magnificent concert of Mozart's music and then bought some classical music on CD. Schoenberg and Mozart on Deutsche Grammophon - the sound quality is fantastic.
lemonade kid Posted - 25/09/2013 : 19:24:36
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I must admit, I've encountered very few problems of this sort. Although occasionally I've had the odd CD that plays quite happily on one player but not on another. The system that I have in my lounge seems to cope with everything really well - but the one that I had before that definitely didn't like some of my collection - although if you played something else on it first then it would do a lot better a little later on. It was as though it needed the time to warm up!

The quality of 60s vinyl probably remains unmatched. But the greatest problems I ever had with recorded music were with vinyl albums pressed from the 70s onwards....I definitely do not miss those at all. When Kinney were distributing all WEA's stuff in Britain, the only version of Forever Changes you could get was one with a delicate sandpaper accompaniment to the opening strains of Alone Again Or!

Yes, J9. Vinyl quality really went downhill in the 70's & 80's, you're right. I once read that Michael Jackson's THRIILLER , which sold mega millions, was actually released with full knowledge by the label, with at least 80% of the vinyl being flawed.

But even 60's vinyl was sometimes flawed (though usually minor if only cosmetic)..especially by labels like Electra that weren't always as quality conscious. I have a first pressing Forever Changes with a fleck of what looks like a bit of white vinyl imbedded in the vinyl. It caused a very slight "tick" but otherwise is fine. I have several 60's records with small foreign "objects" imbedded in the vinyl--most always with no noise. But the 60's vinyl was so good (even Elektra's) by comparison to later cheap 70's vinyl product, that they still play perfectly today, if properly cared for.

Those 70's, and beyond, vinyl records seem to deteriorate with mere age, even if just stored quietly in their protective sleeves!

I have some vinyl from the 70's that is so bad that a newly opened platter, when I place the needle to the grooves, will slide across the first 1/2" or more like it's slipping down an icy hill. The grooves are so "shallow" that the stylus (& I've tried several turntables) can't get a "grip". Insane!

I haven't had any trouble with official release CDs at all. Just blank CDs when trying to burn, and some personally ripped CDs. I just hope that my Beatles Mono Box cd's will last MY lifetime!

-lk
John9 Posted - 25/09/2013 : 18:49:23
I must admit, I've encountered very few problems of this sort. Although occasionally I've had the odd CD that plays quite happily on one player but not on another. The system that I have in my lounge seems to cope with everything really well - but the one that I had before that definitely didn't like some of my collection - although if you played something else on it first then it would do a lot better a little later on. It was as though it needed the time to warm up!

The quality of 60s vinyl probably remains unmatched. But the greatest problems I ever had with recorded music were with vinyl albums pressed from the 70s onwards....I definitely do not miss those at all. When Kinney were distributing all WEA's stuff in Britain, the only version of Forever Changes you could get was one with a delicate sandpaper accompaniment to the opening strains of Alone Again Or!
Dukie Posted - 25/09/2013 : 18:26:37
My copy of "Love On Earth Must Be" stopped playing as well. Luckily a friend had backed -up his copy and helped me out!!
My son has not bought any music at all but chooses to listen via computer etc. He does like going to live gigs though, so hope remains for the future.
rocker Posted - 25/09/2013 : 14:11:42
It's kind of funny, my vinyl record shop owner/friend said to me that we (old) guys are the only ones buying CDs. They are dinosaurs. Kids download. And vinyl is coming back. CDs are OUT!

Sure looks it. You could be right. They do make cds like crap now.
Now I hope those Beatle cd compilations we got (in mono etc) that came out two years ago were manufactured well. I want them to last.
lemonade kid Posted - 23/09/2013 : 21:08:00
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Not sure if it's my luck or what but recently cd's I've had don't work. Clicks, pops, misses you know. One cd is one of those Dr Ebbett's cds (unofficial Beatles stuff). I've had that cd for awhile but it's like the cd deteriorated without even playing them so much. Annoys me!..;-)...I don't think it's the cd player since it's relatively new one. I have the feeling that the stuff they're making them out of isn't so hot.

They seem to making crap CDs more and more. I bought a 100 pack of CD-Rs and half would not even burn music when I tried...trash.

Maybe it's because many folks are not even buying CDs anymore..just downloading iTunes etc. Still no excuse for crummy product. Especially since they've gotten more expensive!

It's kind of funny, my vinyl record shop owner/friend said to me that we (old) guys are the only ones buying CDs. They are dinosaurs. Kids download. And vinyl is coming back. CDs are OUT!

What goes around comes around. Neil Young was right. CDs are crap.

-lk

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page