Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 The incredible string band.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kula John Posted - 29/04/2005 : 21:56:03
any fans on this board?.....i recently bought 'the 5000 spirits' album and was just wondering if 'the hangman's daughter' is worth getting?

In the land of summer sun we have just begun
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
steve64 Posted - 21/05/2005 : 17:27:58
Robin Williamson and wife Bina are playing the Meltdown Festival in London on June 24th as part of the u.k./u.s. Folk night Roy Harper Bert Jansch and Robyn Hitchcock are playing too .. http://www.rfh.org.uk/meltdown ..

hey ho! lets go!
Kula John Posted - 12/05/2005 : 14:34:54
thanks for the replies and advice everyone!! sorry i havent replied sooner but my internet connection has been down for the past 2 weeks (which has been very annoying). Think i'll definitely check out the hangmans's beautiful daughter.

Thanks again for the tips and advice...i could do with checking out some new music.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
John E Posted - 06/05/2005 : 16:41:51
Hi Kula John,
I'm a long-term ISB fan, and have followed them both live and on disc since 1969. I agree with Oldfartatplay that "Hangman" is the real classic, and that "Wee Tam" and "Big Huge" are also defintely worth having. Although I always used to think that Robin was the greater member, I must say that last year's concert was arguably the best I have ever seen. In Williamson's later concerts his voice wasn't so good, and he seemed to just be going through the motions. Fluff (a much younger girl)now doubles up for Robin and Bina. She plays various instruments including fiddle and flute and does a stunning version of "Water Water". Meanwhile Clive amazingly manages to carry off "Ducks on a Pond"! Mike Heron has come to the fore and sings well, as well as seeming ageless. Like Love, the band are at last playing the stuff that people really want to hear. They now include an eleven minute version of "A Very Cellular Song" in their set, and a totally mesmerising version of "Douglas Traherne Harding".
All the best, John E
MikeP Posted - 05/05/2005 : 02:31:52
Hi, KJ, if you like 5000 Spirits and Hangmans there's a fair chance
that you'll like the music of the band called COB, formed by ISB's founder Clive Palmer. Their album Moyshe McStiff has weathered the test of time pretty well - a good 'un. Three other excellent folk obscurities for you: 1) Vashti Bunyan's Just Another Diamond Day.
2) Bill Fay's Time Of The Last Persecution. 3) Anne Brigg's The Time Has Come. The reviews on Amazon etc are pretty accurate. Check
them out for yourself and follow your nose. I reckon you can't go far wrong with any of the above.
Having flogged all my ISB records in the late '70's through student
financial hardship - sounds familiar? - and never having replaced them, I became reaquainted with their music when I saw them in '03.
Knowing that Williamson had left, I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly suprised. With Palmer back with them and Heron in a very
droll and jocular mood it turned out to be a pretty good evening, rounded off with a version of A Very Cellular Song that was as good as on record. I hadn't heard it in almost thirty years, and on doing so again I felt a broad grin spread inexorably across my face. I reckon that they are still worth catching live in the right
venue. All the best.
oldfartatplay Posted - 04/05/2005 : 23:05:58
Hi Kula John - Got to add my five penn'eth worth to the great ISB debate.'A Very Cellular Song' from 'The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter' has got to be one of the all-time psychedelic folk epic's("Amoebas are very small"),and was a major influence on Led Zep's 'Stairway to Heaven'.As for favourite albums,while 'Hangman's' is probably the ISB classic,if you really want to take on the full Heron/Williamson crystal vision, then try the double album 'Wee Tam & the Big Huge',which IMHO has some of their finest songs.At their best their work is like stepping into one of Richard Dadd's visionary paintings,and they still remain one of the most original bands ever to have emerged in the UK(Though granted,their appeal can remain a mystery to the un-initiated!). They later came under the spell of L.Ron Hubbard (as did Van Morrison),but did produce at least one great later album 'Earthspan' for Island records.As far as I know,all their albums are (or have-been)available on CD,but some might require seeking out. The classic earlier albums were all on a certain label called...H'mmmm,What was it now? Oh Yes..! Elektra!Now there's a co-incidence........Be Glad (For the Song has No Ending)!Where did I put those joss-sticks...?
Kula John Posted - 03/05/2005 : 11:23:20
thanks for the info caryl....i got 5000 spirits off the amazon website so i think i should be able to get hangmans daughter off there too.....5000 spirits often sends me to sleep!!...but in a good way its a great album.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
caryl Posted - 02/05/2005 : 22:00:59
Hi Kula-
I love ISB and I've been on their messagebd for a while, now.

Going back to your question of whether you should get 'Hangman's', I think 5,000 Spirits is their best and Hangman's is second. That album (5,000 Spirits), to my way of thinking, is more melodic than Hangman's but Hangman's is worth having, as are all of their albums.

I'm not sure if the albums are still in print (I think so) but you can always try ebay.

Caryl
Kula John Posted - 01/05/2005 : 00:44:09
thanks for the info

In the land of summer sun we have just begun
steve64 Posted - 30/04/2005 : 21:46:46
great band saw them in 2000 and 2001 when they first reformed with the 3 original members by the time of Canterbury Fayre in 2003 Robin Williamson had left and they were not as good without him they are still touring http://www.incrediblestringband.com

hey ho! lets go!
Tina Posted - 30/04/2005 : 09:28:13
Kula John, I was big fan of the Incredible String Band in the 60s/70s and Lizzy and I saw them perform at Newcastle City Hall - we were sitting up in the balcony blowing bubbles over the stage (people did that sort of thing then!) until we were told to stop by security because the soap damaged the veneer on the grand piano!

In my view thay haven't "aged" well, they were very much of their time - we saw them at Canterbury Fayre in 2003 and frankly I was a bit disappointed. Saying that, "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter" is a lovely album if you like hippy trippy stuff, so go for it!!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page