Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 John Lord has passed away

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
torben Posted - 16/07/2012 : 19:58:20
From jonlord.org:
It is with deep sadness we announce the passing of Jon Lord, who suffered a fatal pulmonary embolism today, Monday 16th July at the London Clinic, after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Jon was surrounded by his loving family.

Jon Lord, the legendary keyboard player with Deep Purple co-wrote many of the bands legendary songs including Smoke On The Water and played with many bands and musicians throughout his career.

Best known for his Orchestral work Concerto for Group & Orchestra first performed at Royal Albert Hall with Deep Purple and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in 1969 and conducted by the renowned Malcolm Arnold, a feat repeated in 1999 when it was again performed at the Royal Albert Hall by the London Symphony Orchestra and Deep Purple.

Jon’s solo work was universally acclaimed when he eventually retired from Deep Purple in 2002.

Jon passes from Darkness to Light.

Jon Lord 9 June 1941 – 16 July 2012.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 21/07/2012 : 13:24:51
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

Sad to hear. My Brother-in-law will always remember tripping over Jon Lord's sleeping body when he came home to his apartment late one night to find some members of Deep Purple sleeping on the floor.
His cousin was a groupie in the late 60s/early 70s, and she used his Manhattan apartment to "entertain" DP without his knowledge after their gig at the Fillmore.
She once introduced me to Graeme Edge of The Moody Blues during their break at the Fillmore, where my sister worked.
My sister got free tickets to a number of shows at the Fillmore.
RIP, Jon.

Nice memories.

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0PCzH-K1hg
sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 21/07/2012 : 02:08:02
Sad to hear. My Brother-in-law will always remember tripping over Jon Lord's sleeping body when he came home to his apartment late one night to find some members of Deep Purple sleeping on the floor.
His cousin was a groupie in the late 60s/early 70s, and she used his Manhattan apartment to "entertain" DP without his knowledge after their gig at the Fillmore.
She once introduced me to Graeme Edge of The Moody Blues during their break at the Fillmore, where my sister worked.
My sister got free tickets to a number of shows at the Fillmore.
RIP, Jon.
lemonade kid Posted - 18/07/2012 : 17:54:42
Deep Purple's Jon Lord final performance with the band - a discussion piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_p2AG5BFZA

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
lemonade kid Posted - 18/07/2012 : 17:46:15

Exposition/We Can Work It Out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9w6V30Vxn8

Jon Lord, the keyboardist of the pioneering British hard-rock band Deep Purple, died Monday in London. He was 71.

The cause was a pulmonary embolism, said his manager, Bruce Payne. Mr. Lord announced last year that he had cancer.

In songs from the late 1960s and early '70s like "Smoke on the Water," "Hush" and the epic "Child in Time," Deep Purple laid much of the groundwork for heavy metal, drawing a blunter and fiercer sound out of the blues-based riffs common in the British invasion's first wave.

Mr. Lord's Hammond B-3 organ - with its signal routed through a Marshall amplifier to give it a distorted tang - was key to Deep Purple's style. It locked into formation with Ritchie Blackmore's guitar, Roger Glover's bass and Ian Paice's drums, forging catchy lines like the four-note motif of "Smoke on the Water" that helped the band sell tens of millions of albums around the world.

But Mr. Lord did more than pound out chords. His fast, wandering solos reflected a lifelong interest in lyrical classical music, and in the band's early years he composed several large-scale pieces for the group, including "Concerto for Group and Orchestra," which was recorded with the Royal Philharmonic in London in 1969.

Born in Leicester, England, on June 9, 1941, Mr. Lord studied classical piano from a young age and became a fan of piano rockers like Jerry Lee Lewis as well as jazz organists like Jimmy Smith. After moving to London in 1959, he played in various jazz, blues and pop groups throughout the 1960s, until in 1968 the first incarnation of Deep Purple was formed in Hertford.

After its first singer, Rod Evans, left in 1969, the group recruited Ian Gillan, who had sung in "Jesus Christ Superstar" and had the vocal prowess to match the band. In the early 1970s the group released a string of hit albums, including "Deep Purple in Rock," "Machine Head" and the live "Made in Japan."

Mr. Lord remained in the group despite numerous personnel changes until it finally disbanded in 1976. He then formed Paice, Ashton and Lord, a short-lived group with Deep Purple's drummer and the singer Tony Ashton, and joined an early version of the band Whitesnake. Deep Purple reunited in 1984, and Mr. Lord stayed until 2002; since then he has continued his composing career and collaborated with musicians including Anni-Frid Lyngstad of Abba.

He is survived by his wife, Vicky, and two daughters, Amy Cherrington and Sara Lord. His first marriage to Judith Feldman ended in divorce.

In a recent interview, Mr. Lord demonstrated how he tailored the organ's sound for Deep Purple.

"Lovely a sound as it was, it wasn't quite giving me what I wanted," he said. "I could hear another sound in my head - something harder, something more throaty."

"You tap straight in and put it through a straight speaker," he added, "and you get a beast."

Share your favorite Deep purple...

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
dyecraig Posted - 17/07/2012 : 04:08:53
hush - his playing on that is so funky and soulful - my favorite purple
lemonade kid Posted - 16/07/2012 : 21:40:14
So sad...rest in peace, Mr Lord.

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page