Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 reuinon tours

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
riverman Posted - 17/03/2005 : 21:16:06
aside from a tour by love i was intrigued by the cream reuinon, and got to thinking of others dead or alive that i would like to see again. i know the doors are touring, and others are out there but would it not be cool to see some of our old favourites again. i was thinking, perhaps 13th floor elavators and big star would be fun.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Young Soul Rebel Posted - 31/03/2005 : 13:07:25
I'd pay almost anything to go and see a Byrds 'reunion'. It's technically feasible as there's enough surviving members from the various lineups to create a decent band: McGuinn, plus Hillman on bass or guitar and Crosby from the first lineup and Gene Parsons (drums) and John York (bass/ guitar) from the post-Gram years. I believe everyone else (Mike, Gene, Gram, Clarence, Skip, Kevin kelley) have all passed away.

I'm going to see the Queen reunion tour in a couple of months, though I have absolutely no expectation of it being any good.

It may not be a 60s band, but I'd also pay very good money to see The Smiths. I saw the new lineup Dexys Midnight Runnners a couple of years ago and they were damn good. Once again, they've had enough members over the years to have a credible full band. My ideal lineup (if all of the original band were unwilling) would be Kevin Rowland, Kevin Archer and Billy Adams on guitars, Pete Williams on bass, Seb Shelton on drums, Helen O'Hara on violin, and Mickey Billingham on piano/ organ with a brass section of Big Jim Paterson on trombone and Jeff Blythe and Steve Spooner on sax.

Do I Have To Do This All Over Again?
steve64 Posted - 29/03/2005 : 21:11:15
this year is 40 years since Jefferson Airplane formed.. and the tour features founder Airplane members Paul Kantner and Marty Balin along with ex members of Jefferson Airplane/Starship David Freiberg was also in Jefferson Starship .. Grace Slick has retired from performing live but original Airplane vocalist Signe Anderson who sang on the first album was listed as touring but is not anymore! no Jack or Jorma either! http://www.jeffersonairplane.com tour dates at http://www.jeffersonstarshipsf.com
quote:
Originally posted by TouchofGray

There's an interesting gig at The Brook, Southampton UK on 27th May 2005.
The band's titled intriguingly 'Jefferson Family Galactic Party'

It features, among others, Martin Balin and Paul Kantner from the original Airplane lineup plus Tom Constanten from the (early version of) Grateful Dead and David Freiberg from Quicksilver Messenger Service. According to the website they are incorporating numbers from all three bands and will attempt a version of Dark Star by the Dead.

This seems a good way of amalgamating band reunions in one show.
It could start a trend!

When I was about 16 I was fortunate enough to see Jime Hendrix Experience. They blew me away. I'd love to revisit that...experience.

hey ho! lets go!
riverman Posted - 29/03/2005 : 04:41:35
You guys are depressing me. All these acts from the late 60's and 70's that have been mentioned are just reminding me i am almost 50. Ihad better go put on the Love Story compilation, have a spliff,and get my beauty sleep.
riverman Posted - 29/03/2005 : 04:36:09
whoops, guess that was a little too wide open wasn't it. Sorry, but the Mott the Hoople was a good one.
TouchofGray Posted - 28/03/2005 : 22:06:05
There's an interesting gig at The Brook, Southampton UK on 27th May 2005.
The band's titled intriguingly 'Jefferson Family Galactic Party'

It features, among others, Martin Balin and Paul Kantner from the original Airplane lineup plus Tom Constanten from the (early version of) Grateful Dead and David Freiberg from Quicksilver Messenger Service. According to the website they are incorporating numbers from all three bands and will attempt a version of Dark Star by the Dead.

This seems a good way of amalgamating band reunions in one show.
It could start a trend!

When I was about 16 I was fortunate enough to see Jime Hendrix Experience. They blew me away. I'd love to revisit that...experience.
oldfartatplay Posted - 27/03/2005 : 17:35:46
Hi riverman - I think that you may be right.It seems that for many US/Canadian artists old & new,Europe & Oz are where their main audience can be found.Certainly the Festival circuit is going on strong over this side of the pond,and there has been a steady stream of up-and-coming bands touring the UK in the past few months(Bright Eyes,Willie Mason,Brendan Benson,among others).It's not all one way traffic though,with the currently hot 'Kaiser Chiefs'breaking in the States first.The sad thing is that almost all venues over here seem to rely on 'tribute'bands to stay afloat.Nostalgia ain't what it used to be...! Personally,I prefer to see at least some real connection between the past & the present,and would rather catch some some bunch of spotty 'erberts (who might just be the next big thing!)doing their own material,than pay to see another 'tribute'band.Still,live music in almost any form has got to be preferable to 'Superstar DJ's' or Muzack!Rant over....& out!
riverman Posted - 24/03/2005 : 22:15:38
thats it im moving to england. once again the better music scene is over the pond.
gordo Posted - 23/03/2005 : 10:16:30
Not sure whether Big Star will be playing in July

Ken Stringfellow (posies) is on tour with REM until 15th July and then he goes on tour in support of the Posies new album which is due to be released around then.

Big Star dates will have to be fitted around The Posies tour which Jon Auer's wife has said (on a Posies mailing list, last week) will be a world tour.

It's unlikely there'll be more than a handfull of Big Star dates as Alex Chilton(as usual) isn't that keen on touring.

Also the new Big Star album which was recorded last year is currently scheduled for a late August/early september release on Rykodisk which suggests that the dates will be around then.
bob f. Posted - 21/03/2005 : 01:15:39
Chuck- well, seeming that this topic even allows for dead members to join, i figured, what the hell!, mix in different incarnations of band line-up. it's all fantasy, anyway, and i do see your point. i had trouble drawing the line! i openned the door to heaven and EVERYONE came down! then , the living ones were applying for the reunion. the Byrds was hard to line up, because to get the band members from " SWEETHEARTS OF THE RODEO", and "Notorious Byrd Brothers" , and still have Sneaky Pete Kleinow or Jaydee onn pedal steel, and yet have elements of the Burrito Bros. and classics Byrds psych folk is asking for a miracle! Gene Clark and Gram Parsons are watching and laughing at at the whole cosmic comedy, saying to each other, " Man, we weren't even in the same band ! and we are both Byrds, flying down for the reunion!"
Allan Posted - 20/03/2005 : 16:24:47
I would enjoy seeing the original Mott the Hoople...Mick Ralphs et al.

Allan
Ben Posted - 20/03/2005 : 11:45:53
Love is indeed the answer.
Chuck Posted - 20/03/2005 : 08:38:49
Just a point of semantics pertaining to your list of ex-Byrds, bob f ... can it technically be a reunion if all those guys didn't play at the same time? ;)

Love is the answer!
steve64 Posted - 18/03/2005 : 19:08:20
I saw Big Star in London a few years ago I read that they are playing some gigs and also recording a new album this year Country Joe is playing some solo u.k. shows soon and then coming back with the band in August saw them at the Borderline in London last year and they played great was Country Joe with 3 of his original band but without Barry 'the Fish' Melton so they played as the Country Joe Band going to see them again at Falmouth in August... there is a live dvd coming out soon which was recorded on last years u.k. tour.. http://www.countryjoe.com

hey ho! lets go!
Ben Posted - 18/03/2005 : 11:31:39
The Big Star stuff is in the March copy of Uncut magazine. I think they're playing the Barbican.
bob f. Posted - 18/03/2005 : 04:26:04
maybe a Buffalo Springfield reunion show might be cool! with Richie Furay! Byrds (Mcguinn, Hillman, Jaydee Maness(pedal steel!), or Sneeky Pete if Jaydee is gone, i want Mike Clark on drums(rip), and all the other here and there members (including GRAM!). Jefferson Airplane! Grace Slick , Jorma, Cassidy... Country Joe and the Fish , and we need Barry Melton this time. Quicksilver is a must if we can get John Cipollina back to life , and have them play , "THE FOOL"! I KNOW this thread allows for dead or alive, but the implications just boggle my mind! ....Beatles, ...........on and on....

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page