Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 MONO Masterpieces

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 12/09/2011 : 00:11:53
There are many MONO lps that far exceed the stereo remixes...as most pre-1967 records were mixed in mono and then a stereo separation mix was mastered. It was MONO first,and stereo was many times an afterthought.

What are your favorite MONO mixes...and do you prefer them over the stereo twin?

I will start with a rarity.

RAM-Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney (1971)
Here are the RARE mono mixes at youtube...you can compare them to the regular stuff below

Too Many People
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ompVDodfT2Q&feature=related

Ram On
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PSds58h7OU

Monkberry Moon Delight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqnMIz5JL8Y&NR=1

The rest from the MONO promo are at youtube too!

The only McCartney album credited to both Paul & Linda. Though panned by Rolling Stone and others at its release....by the 80's it was generally hailed as one of his best and Rolling Stone gave it four of five stars.

Despite the phase-out of monaural albums by the late 1960s, Ram was pressed in mono (MAS 3375) with unique mixes which differ from the common stereo album (SMAS 3375). These were only made available to radio stations and are among the most valuable and sought-after of Paul McCartney's solo records. -wiki Below are the regular LP stereo mixes....

Too Many People
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P_HKQGq730&feature=related

Monkberry Moon Delight....love his vocal work here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O83CrS-KElk&feature=related

the Lennon-McCartney feud-

According to Peter Brown, John Lennon believed that songs on Ram included jibes at him in the lyrics, including "Too Many People" and "Dear Boy".[3] Brown also described the picture of two beetles copulating on the back cover as a description of how McCartney felt the other Beatles were treating him.[3] McCartney later said that only two lines in "Too Many People" were directed at Lennon. "In one song, I wrote, 'Too many people preaching practices,' I think is the line. I mean, that was a little dig at John and Yoko. There wasn't anything else on [Ram] that was about them. Oh, there was 'You took your lucky break and broke it in two.'"[4]

Lennon's response was the song "How Do You Sleep?" on his Imagine album.[3] Early editions of Imagine included a postcard of Lennon pulling the ears of a pig in a parody of Ram's cover photograph of McCartney holding a ram by the horns.[5]

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
captain america and billy Posted - 12/09/2011 : 15:11:14
Funny I wasn't even aware things were still being mixed for mono as late as '71 and "Ram".But no doubt about it,"Ram" is a wonderful lost light classic.I also agree with the previous statement that you can indeed hear a sort of "artistic runoff" spill from late Beatles onto earlier solo efforts.Somewhere around '73,the Fabs' solo tracks became their own distinct entities.That's the sense I always had.Fact in point,some of George Harrisons "All Things" l.p. featured tunes originally submitted to thte other Beatles for inclusion on group albums."The Art Of Dying" actually hails from the "Revolver" sessions but old Georgie boy decided it was a bit "too far out" to represent the Beatles at the time.
rocker Posted - 12/09/2011 : 13:54:28
Nothing like these posts to "get you back" to the stuff produced in those early days. Creme de la creme, eh? I'm listening with different ears! RAM has Macca firin' on all cylinders..., right a great record lk
John9 Posted - 12/09/2011 : 09:34:51
Concerning Ram - I remember very clearly a Lennon radio interview just after the release of Imagine. He said that he liked Three Legs and Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey but was then asked about the venomous nature of How Do You Sleep? His mood then changed completely and he started singing in a mocking way "That was your first mistake, you took your lucky break" and "We believe that we can't be wrong". Then he added "Well I believe that he (Paul) just might be wrong".

You're right about Ram's reputation growing as the years pass, LK. I think that the problem in 1971 was that McCartney had set himself such high standards in the late 60s. Some of his best ballads....Hey Jude, Let It Be and The Long And Winding Road came at the end of The Beatles' career and people were expecting many more songs like these when he went solo. But to me now the very best of The Beatles' solo albums are those from 1970-71 (McCartney, Ram, John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band,Imagineand All Things Must Pass)....they're almost like separate lines of development from the monumental White Album.
lemonade kid Posted - 12/09/2011 : 00:12:57
Since it's never been released, here is a Dr. Ebbett's mono release....

http://zambonisoundtracks.wordpress.com/2009/12/11/paul-linda-mccartney-ram-stereo-dr-ebbetts-mono-1971/

This is a straight transfer of the mono. There is noticeable surface noise however. To give the benefit of the doubt to the label, virgin copies may be almost impossible to find, but it sounds as if no attempt was made to clean up the recording. Despite that it has the good Scorpio mastering job sounding very natural and warm. It comes packaged in a single cardboard glossy paper sleeve with an insert with the track listing on the inside.

.... I think this sounds just great to me, just as direct transfer..

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page