Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 DAVID CROSBY-Voyage...literally, no kidding!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 30/08/2011 : 19:09:37
If anyone lived the life of a hippie troubadour it was David.

What an amazing talent....and yes, from what I have heard, he has mellowed quite a bit.....and a good guy to some I know. He came into a friend's vinyl record shop a few years a go while on tour in Maine and he filed through what was a very depleted selection of CSN&Y. But he still smiled on his way out and said, "cool store, man"

[

So in honor of his long and masterful career....

DAVID CROSBY-VOYAGE
THE 3 CD BOX SET

(I especially recommend it for the 3rd CD of unreleased material! Fantastic.)

Career-spanning 3-CD David Crosby box spotlights the two-time Rock And Roll Hall Of Famer's solo stand-outs and classics with legendary groups, including The Byrds, CSN, and CSNY! Plus one full disc of previously unreleased material.

BACKGROUND:
Music icon, singer-songwriter, social justice activist and sublime master of harmony vocals David Crosby is a two time Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, inducted as a member of seminal folk-rock band The Byrds and Woodstock era-defining trio Crosby, Stills and Nash.

CSN, who have been called "the voice of a generation," were GRAMMY®-honored in 1969 as Best New Artist, and Crosby continuesto tour and record with the now legendary group as well as with CSNY, their four-man unit with Neil Young.

David Crosby also has a decades-long legacy of adventurous solo work plus multiple albums as a duo with Graham Nash and with CPR, the jazz-flavored trio he formed with his son James Raymond in '95.

A native Californian, Crosby's storied career began as a folk singer in the coffee-house scene of the early 1960s, and remains one of the most remarkable threads weaving through contemporary music.

Produced by Graham Nash and Joel Bernstein, VOYAGE—the first retrospective of Crosby's influential work—charts Crosby's course from 1966 to the present.

ALBUM FACTS:
3-CD boxed set, first ever Crosby retrospective, celebrates forty years of music from one of Rock's most influential figures. Produced by Graham Nash and Joel Bernstein, with associate producer James Austin.

Almost three hours of remastered music spanning 1966-2006, including a full disc of previously unreleased riches.

Handsome booklet features cover photo by legendary rock photographer Henry Diltz, in-depth liner notes by Steve Silberman, tributes from a host of fellow musicians and profound track-by-track commentary from the Crosby himself plus Roger McGuinn, Graham Nash, Phil Lesh, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, and more.

Disc 1 — Essential Vol. 1 — kicks off with Byrds classics including "Eight Miles High" and "Renaissance Fair." Plus the Crosby-penned CSN immortals "Wooden Ships," "Guinnevere," and "Long Time Gone" and the CSNY signature songs "Déjá Vu" and "Almost Cut My Hair." Also features the Crosby solo gems "Tamalpais High (At About 3)" and "Laughing," plus the Crosby-Nash standouts "Carry Me," "Dancer," and more.

Disc 2 — Essential Vol. 2 — features the CSN favorites "In My Dreams" and "Delta" plus CSNY's "Compass." CPR is spotlighted with five tracks including "Rusty And Blue" and "Somehow She Knew." Also includes Crosby-Nash's "Through Here Quite Often" and the Crosby solo recordings "Hero" and his powerful version of "My Country 'Tis Of Thee."

Disc 3 — Burried Treasure — boasts almost 75 minutes of previously unreleased musical magic, including demos for "Déjá Vu," "Long Time Gone," and"Almost Cut My Hair" plus an alternate mix of "Guinnevere." Also features the Crosby & Nash live tracks "The Lee Shore" and "Traction In The Rain," CSNY's live take on "Dream For Him" (written for Crosby's son Django) and an alternate mix of CSNY's "Homeward Through The Haze." Plus, the previously unissued song "Kids And Dogs."

DISC ONE — ESSENTIAL VOL. 1
01. Eight Miles High (3:34)
02. Renaissance Fair (1:51)
03. Everybody's Been Burned (2:59)
04. Wooden Ships (5:27)
05. Guinnevere (4:38)
06. Long Time Gone (4:17)
07. Déjà Vu (4:10)
08. Almost Cut My Hair (4:21)
09. Tamalpais High (At About) (3:31)
10. Laughing (5:24)
11. Music Is Love (3:21)
12. Song With No Words (Tree With No Leaves) (5:56)
13. What Are Their Names (4:11)
14. I'd Swear There Was Somebody Here (1:21)
15. Where Will I Be? (3:20)
16. Pege 43 (2:55)
17. Critical Mass (1:20)
18. Carry Me (3:33)
19. Bittersweet (2:38)
20. Naked In The Rain (2:26)
21. Dancer (4:49)

DISC TWO — ESSENTIAL VOL. 2
01.Shadow Captain (4:31)
02.In My Dreams (5:11)
03.Delta (4:13)
04.Compass (5:27)
05.Tracks In The Dust (4:48)
06.Arrows (3:51)
07.Hero (4:37)
08.Yvette In English (5:53)
09.Rusty And Blue (7:30)
10.Somehow She Knew (7:05)
11.Breathless (5:16)
12.Map Tu Buried Treasure (5:33)
13.At The Edge (4:21)
14.Through Here Quite Often (4:00)
15.My Country 'tis Of Thee (1:57)

DISC THREE — BURIED TREASURE (ALL UNISSUED)
1. Long Time Gone (Demo) (4:32)
2. Guinnevere (Alternate Mix) (4:19)
3. Almost Cut My Hair (Demo) (5:22)
4. Games (Demo) (3:05)
5. Déjà Vu (Demo) (2:36)
6. Triad (Demo) (5:26)
7. Cowboy Movie (Studio Version) (10:57)
8. Kids And Dogs (Unissued Song) (6:58)
9. Have You Seen The Stars Tonight? (Alternate Mix) (3:06)
10. The Lee Shore (Live) (4:24)
11. Traction In The Rain (Live) (3:36)
12. King Of The Mountain (Demo) (2:44)
13. Homeward Through The Haze (Alternate Mix) (4:22)
14. Samurai (Studio Version) (1:40)
15. Climber (Studio Version) (5:18)
16. Dream For Him (Live) (7:57)

Here is something that I have no idea when or what album it is from but, this is the longest version I've seen (7 minutes) of his amazing song...a nice alt version is included above....

Lee Shore (CSN)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydaYbUQnM_Q

Never cut your hair, David!

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
John9 Posted - 02/09/2011 : 10:24:18

Yes that one is a really good example of his instinct for breezy jazz rhythms...it really a beautiful song. Here's another - from the first Crosby and Nash album (1972). I believe that it was originally written back in '68. Games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHhQuZapHQc
lemonade kid Posted - 02/09/2011 : 03:26:30
Such a beautiful song....

Naked In The Rain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn6P-WgaJHA

lemonade kid Posted - 31/08/2011 : 01:14:38
Great stuff, John ...what a classic tune.

Happy 70th..many more!!

John9 Posted - 30/08/2011 : 20:58:35

Crosby is definitely an all time favourite of mine. I saw him on stage with Graham Nash at The Odeon, Manchester during late'71. It was of course a homecoming for Nash, whose mum and dad were also in the audience.

There is no getting away from the fact that Gene Clark was by far the most prolific songwriter of The Byrds. But Crosby's instinct for interesting song structures and jazz rhythms helped them to forge all that revolutionary music following Gene's 1966 departure.

LK - that seems to be a magnificent box set. I haven't yet bought the whole thing - but I have purchased quite a few of the tracks (especially demo versions) as Amazon downloads. And now for two short minutes of sheer Crosby-McGuinn brilliance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlsIfb4lo1c

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page