Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 BADFINGER-petition Swansea to honor them!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 17/06/2011 : 20:10:20
So I see there was a petition for Swansea Council to honor the fantastic Welshman Pete Ham & BADFINGER.

Has that happened Dukie?

They are so much my favorite Welsh band...though all members were not Welsh....they started all Welsh.

So lets honor them here!!
So many great live performances on youtube!!

Come & Get It
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk57K4OGrAg&NR=1

Without You....the original is always best!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyBS_1vGwpU&NR=1

Badfinger was a British rock band consisting originally of Pete Ham, Ron Griffiths, Mike Gibbins and Tom Evans, active from 1968 to 1983, and evolving from The Iveys, formed by Ham, Griffiths and David "Dai" Jenkins in Swansea, Wales in the early 1960s. Joey Molland joined the group in 1969, following the departure of Griffiths. Picked up by The Beatles' Apple label in 1968, in 1969 they adopted the name Badfinger. Initially drawing Beatle comparisons on account of some musical resemblance and individual Beatles' mentorship , Badfinger had four consecutive worldwide hits over 1970-71 with "Come and Get It" (written and produced by Paul McCartney), "No Matter What", "Day After Day" and "Baby Blue", providing a seminal example of the post-'60s power pop genre.

Day After Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um4pnvJr07A&NR=1

Badfinger lives on....

John9 Posted - 21/06/2011 : 16:12:16
Going back to Man...a member of the later group (and another son of Wales) was drummer John 'Pugwash' Weathers. He had previously been with my favourite prog band, Gentle Giant..from 1972's classic Octopus right up until the lads calling it a day in 1980. In an earlier lifetime, Gentle Giant had been Simon Dupree and the Big Sound. Their lovely song Kites comes to mind.....what was it really about 1967? With all those exciting ideas in the air, it was a bit like the Italian Renaissance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KDUtIb-WOI
captain america and billy Posted - 21/06/2011 : 15:37:03
Much more a legitimate Beatles' tribute band than America's own Monkees.The Lennon-McCartney-George Martin style of writing-producing amalgam was pure english standard of prose and delivery,one that can probably be best imitated by other British outfits.This was done highly successfully by the Rutles and to a certain reasonable extent,Oasis.Different world regions,different signature approach.Palin and simple.While it's true bans like the Knickerbockers("Lies") did successfully pull off the sound and style satisfactorily.Badfinger did it without almost blatant rip-off intent.As for the Rutles.Well,the parody was obviously necessary to the comedy.
Dukie Posted - 21/06/2011 : 14:35:02
Sadly, Micky Jones (lead guitar) passed away last year after battling a brain tumour for some time. Man still exists (in theory) and are still very popular in Germany.Micky's son George has played guitar with Man, and I believe the others are all still involved in music in the Swansea area of South Wales.
The bass player on the first two Man albums was also (take note LK) in the Eyes of Blue, and they did a strange cover of "7 and 7 is " on one of their albums (look on You Tube - of course).
I was at a 60th Birthday party last Friday and it was full of Cardiff area musicians including Burke Shelley from Budgie.
ALLANAGAIN Posted - 20/06/2011 : 22:52:18
gOOD TO HEREdUKIE..HOWS THE REST OF THE GUYS?
lemonade kid Posted - 20/06/2011 : 21:37:22
quote:
Originally posted by Dukie

The bass player on the first two Man albums was around for a cup of tea recently!

Nice. Here's to great music and a nice cup of tea, looking out on a summer day.

Dukie Posted - 20/06/2011 : 20:55:15
The bass player on the first two Man albums was around for a cup of tea recently!
ALLANAGAIN Posted - 18/06/2011 : 17:29:55
anyone know - into ..any of the above bands....they kinda kept the guitair driven Psychedelia alive in Britain through the 80,s and 90,s.

other notabales

OZRIC TENTACLES
THE ULLULATORS
EAT STATIC
DAVEID ALLEN- GONG
LOOP
NICK TURNER
INNER CITY UNIT

lemonade kid Posted - 17/06/2011 : 21:09:06
quote:
Originally posted by ALLANAGAIN

Ever hear MAN L.K. ?
a great Welsh band..i had 2 really good albums THE WELSH CONNECTION wich is my Favourite. and MAXIMUM DARKNESS.

i GOT TO SEE THEM PLAY AT LAST AT A BENEFIT FOR THE FAMILY OF Bob Calvert, of Hawkwind...
the line up that night in 1989 at Brixton was..
Hawkwind
Doctor and the Medics
The Pink Fairies
Man
The Starfighters
Here and Now
Atomgods

afinenight of British Psychedelia was had by all!

Well yes!...Jamming now....
It Is As It Must Be

ALLANAGAIN Posted - 17/06/2011 : 20:55:37
Ever hear MAN L.K. ?
a great Welsh band..i had 2 really good albums THE WELSH CONNECTION wich is my Favourite. and MAXIMUM DARKNESS.

i GOT TO SEE THEM PLAY AT LAST AT A BENEFIT FOR THE FAMILY OF Bob Calvert, of Hawkwind...
the line up that night in 1989 at Brixton was..
Hawkwind
Doctor and the Medics
The Pink Fairies
Man
The Starfighters
Here and Now
Atomgods

afinenight of British Psychedelia was had by all!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page