Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 FOLK...the new wave & the old guard

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 12/05/2011 : 19:22:30
FOLK IS THE NEW WAVE....part of the old guard....

Here is a band I really LOVE!! Watch THE NECK WORK OF this guitar player!!
BARNABY BRIGHT (Rebecca & Nathan Bliss)

"Okay, so here's the deal. They saved their pennies and nickels and made their first-ever full length CD, called Wake the Hero.
It took a year of hard work and dedication, and now they have an album that they're really proud of.
They paid for it themselves, promoted it themselves...did everything....by themselves."

SO BUY THE CD!!! PLEASE!! AMAZING DUO!! Just like back in the days of Greenwich Village...hand to mouth and then....someone hears you!!
http://www.myspace.com/barnabybright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxEfFw7XWNU&feature=related

More from them LIVe in Netherlands!! Nice harp!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4MqJVBUZwc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_SJRgiCH9c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4MqJVBUZwc&feature=related

SHARE THE OLD AND NEW!

lemonade kid Posted - 25/05/2011 : 19:28:09
Robin & Barry Dransfield

Barry Dransfield is an English folk singer, fiddler, cellist and guitarist. He has appeared as a session musician on numerous albums by other artists, and has released his own albums as well. Lord of All I Behold (1971) was voted Melody Maker folk album of the year. His 1972 album for Polydor, called simply, Barry Dransfield, was voted the rarest folk album in Record Hunter, worth approximately £400. Unlike most fiddlers (but like some Appalachian players) he is comfortable playing in the "off the chest" position, instead of under the chin.

Together with his brother Robin, he was a member of a bluegrass/old-time band while still in his teens. He generally avoids electric instruments, but is innovative nevertheless. The instrumental, "Blacksmith", on Fiddler's Dream, is a complex set of variations in Romantic Paganini style,with no obvious relation to the song "Blacksmith", but ending with a double-tracked voice of Barry singing the opening line, "Oh, A Blacksmith Courted Me". Fiddler's Dream has been re-issued on Castle with many bonus tracks.
[edit] Barry in films

Barry has composed music for several films for TV and the wide screen: "S.O.S. Titanic", "Adelaide Harris", "Play Away", "Samson an Delilah" (1985), "Ballymena Opera House" and "The Wreck of the Julie Plante" (1985). He acted the part of the blind fiddler in The Bounty (1984) (with Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins). In 1986 he changed career to become a so-called "Fiddle Doctor", repairing violins and cellos. In 1994 he joined the Steeleye Span UK tour.

Some very fine folk here....Barry may be better knownto our UK members....anyone?

Have a listen...very nice.

Handsome Meadow Boy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1jVFR5k0F8&feature=related

Up To Now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yie6yQmaZyM&feature=related

Be My Friend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCzu5avGwts&feature=related

captain america and billy Posted - 16/05/2011 : 15:20:28
A band truly in touch with contemporary young genreational moraise,one of the hallmarks of genuine artistry.
lemonade kid Posted - 15/05/2011 : 02:09:59
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

Yes!Barnabay Bright is the very antihesis and therefore likely antidote for everything I've been complaining about in pop music for some time now.That is,if this gets the recognition it deserves and does indeed BECOME POPULAR!Its got vision ,feel,and a wonderful nuance of style.These would be splendid on feature film soundtracks.You know the kind wherein the hero or heoin finds him or herself in a bit of an existential or moral quandry and must go to great lengths to make amends or apology?Just reminds me of that kind of feel.Here the writers don't even offer you the OPTION of listening closely.The sheer sense of romance hauls you in like a musical tractor beam with its lovingly transcendant heartplay.Marvelous.

A couple songs have been picked up for Grey's Anatomy & a soap or two....when the mood is right.

captain america and billy Posted - 14/05/2011 : 19:00:15
Yes!Barnabay Bright is the very antihesis and therefore likely antidote for everything I've been complaining about in pop music for some time now.That is,if this gets the recognition it deserves and does indeed BECOME POPULAR!Its got vision ,feel,and a wonderful nuance of style.These would be splendid on feature film soundtracks.You know the kind wherein the hero or heoin finds him or herself in a bit of an existential or moral quandry and must go to great lengths to make amends or apology?Just reminds me of that kind of feel.Here the writers don't even offer you the OPTION of listening closely.The sheer sense of romance hauls you in like a musical tractor beam with its lovingly transcendant heartplay.Marvelous.
Kula John Posted - 14/05/2011 : 17:51:37
Just bought Fleet Foxes new album 'Helplessness Blues'. Been waiting a while for this one and it's sounding pretty strong so far. Intelligent, melodic music that invokes emotions other music just can't right now. Got a feeling this will be a favourite for many years to come.
captain america and billy Posted - 14/05/2011 : 16:03:28
Forgot my frigen earbuds again!But hey listen, tell you what.I think young musicians reviving the folk thing to put the generation in touch with the learning experience of expressing themselves in a far more articulate and respectable manner in which many shallow purveyors of sacrimonious drivel have in the past several years.I'm not talking about any of the hip hop or country.The Hip Hoppers are just out for some good time party music fare and I realize that.And I understand country has rather miniscule perameters compared to pop.There was never a hell of alot you could do with it in the first place and all of it was done a long time ago.A good deal of its potential inifluence was lost when it combined with r&b and gospel to formulate the hybrid we got to know as rock and roll and other than that,most of the significant innovations were exhausted in the heydays of Johnny Cash,Charlie Rich,\and Dolly Parton among others.GArth Brooks didi put a little funk into things in the early nineties,but its all the same old same old today.Over in the mainstream pop realm,I've heard aural mile after mile of pretenmtious wannabes without even an essential gift of vision to use as potential palate for their musical musings.The technical musicianship is certainly strong,but ther are precious few intriguing chord progressions yet to be explored and the so called poetry is appalingly lackluster.One could say its all basically been done in folk as well,but at least the genere might at least stir up a little of the gray matter in these upstarts.But they need to "feel" it,not just blandly vocalize over a few random sounding chords.Plasticity has been the poison of many a recent mainstream composition.Anybody for a Sara McLaughlin and Jewel stoning in the heart of town square.They,as far as I'm concerned,are the two biggest culprits in the publishing of pretention.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page