Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Writing Up The Airplane

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 25/02/2011 : 17:32:33

Collectors Choice made 2010 a truly wonderful year for Airplane fans. Not only did we get four live albums from the classic era, we were also blessed with the amazing Hot Tuna Live At New Orleans House, Berkeley, CA 09/69. Inspired by this little renaissance, I took delivery last week of the two most famous books on the legendary Haight-Ashbury combo.

Take Me To A Circus Tent by Craig Fenton gathers together a bewildering collection of set lists, recording session details, and interviews. Some reviewers have suggested that the work should have been edited much more carefully - but it is fascinating just to dip into. I especially loved the 2006 interview with magnificent Signe Anderson.

In contast, Jeff Tamarkin's Got A Revolution is a work of very well written and continuous prose which perhaps concentrates on the band politics rather than the music. I suppose that it could be argued that he had already done a good job on the latter with his excellent track by track liner notes for the RCA remastered CDs in the late 90s. Tamarkin narrates the key event's in the Airplane's history very well - but I don't feel that his writing extends to the kind of analysis and evaluation that we have seen in the work of say, Johnny Rogan or John Einarson.

Whilst I have enjoyed and would recommend both books, I am left with the feeling that the truly definitive biography of Jefferson Airplane is yet to be written.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 25/02/2011 : 17:40:56
Maybe Einarson is reading this......?!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page