Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Spirit in Model Shop (1968)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 26/01/2011 : 00:34:15
I was watching a movie on TCM Underground called "Model Shop" (1968)(which was horrible), and in a scene where the lead character goes to his friend's house to bum $100 off of him, the friend's band (which is rehearsing) turns out to be Spirit, complete with RC and his bald uncle!
RC looks kinda goofy and smiles into the camera, and then the friend plays a nice instrumental that he wrote, alone on the piano.
Then, in a pioneering display of product placement, he hands him Spirit's first LP, and says "Here, I want you to have this."
Anyone see this awful Jacques Demy movie and know the piano song?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 30/01/2011 : 18:13:39
quote:
Originally posted by Signed RW

I wasn't going to comment on this one, due to my bias that's a result of a decades-long, close friendship with certian Spirit band members, but I have to at least put this thought out regarding "Sardonicus;" among the many, many major Spirit fans I've crossed paths with over the years, as excellent as each of those first four releases are, "Sardonicus" was Spirit's "Forever Changes." You don't have to agree, you don't even have to like it, but amongst the band's true fan base, that consensus is a fact, Jack.

Absolutely, Rick. Well said. Every true Spirit fan would say the same.

SignedRW Posted - 30/01/2011 : 01:50:18
I wasn't going to comment on this one, due to my bias that's a result of a decades-long, close friendship with certian Spirit band members, but I have to at least put this thought out regarding "Sardonicus;" among the many, many major Spirit fans I've crossed paths with over the years, as excellent as each of those first four releases are, "Sardonicus" was Spirit's "Forever Changes." You don't have to agree, you don't even have to like it, but amongst the band's true fan base, that consensus is a fact, Jack.
lemonade kid Posted - 29/01/2011 : 21:34:07
Nature's Way is the best track, he said, sarcastically...come on! Examples of the brilliance of Dr Sardonicus....

Prelude/Nothing To Hide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLTSFeWCvjU

When I Touch You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6VKwhQz7VY&feature=related

Life Has Just Begun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK4NK8UGZRI&feature=related

Really....just brilliant!! Maybe you don't like it, but I've found those who don't care for spirit's "12 Dreams..." or such obviously talented bands...they usually take a defensive stance...maybe they are intimidated. Usually the case, when the stance is so strongly stated. Now a violent response towards Britney or Madonna?-- I can understand...we're trying to cleanse the world....

sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 29/01/2011 : 20:09:42
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Yes indeed, LK. Sardonicus is definitely in my top twenty all time greats. Rather as in the case of Forever Changes, you're trying to take in the sheer brilliance of the track that has just played....and you're straight into another. Few bands have ever managed that....though The Byrds did with The Notorious Byrd Brothers.

It's nature's way of telling you, summer breeze
It's nature's way of telling you, dying trees

The sad part is "Nature's Way" was IMHO the best song on the LP
lemonade kid Posted - 27/01/2011 : 22:18:16
Here is quite a beautiful song by Randy California....Spirit in Potatoland....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_zMuBOwVow&feature=related

...one more....It's Time Now...beautiful but bizarre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW_L_zaCTug&feature=related
lemonade kid Posted - 27/01/2011 : 21:44:21
quote:

Yes indeed, LK. Sardonicus is definitely in my top twenty all time greats. Rather as in the case of Forever Changes, you're trying to take in the sheer brilliance of the track that has just played....and you're straight into another. Few bands have ever managed that....though The Byrds did with The Notorious Byrd Brothers.

I can't help singing the harmony to Nature's Way every time I listen to it!

And let's not forget Kaptain Kopter and Potatoland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgSI4LIqfco&feature=related

John9 Posted - 27/01/2011 : 20:45:45

lemonade kid Posted - 27/01/2011 : 20:15:25
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

Yeah, I think I already erased it on the DVR. It was pretty hard to take 1950s French existentialist dialogue in late 1960s California.
I always loved "1984" and "I've Got a Line On You", but like most bands, they seemed to peter out after a few good ideas. I was really disappointed with the "Dr. Sardonicus" LP. "It's Nature's way, it's nature's way, it's nature's way... Give me a break!

Really! Dr. Sardonicus is a masterpiece by all reviews and considered their apex...but I love all the first four albums....unique creative icons all.

sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 27/01/2011 : 19:19:07
Yeah, I think I already erased it on the DVR. It was pretty hard to take 1950s French existentialist dialogue in late 1960s California.
I always loved "1984" and "I've Got a Line On You", but like most bands, they seemed to peter out after a few good ideas. I was really disappointed with the "Dr. Sardonicus" LP. "It's Nature's way, it's nature's way, it's nature's way... Give me a break!
SignedRW Posted - 27/01/2011 : 18:28:03
It's been quite a few years since I've seen the film, but I do believe that Spirit provided all the music for it. In their earliest days, the band was pretty heavily Coltrane-influenced, and in performance did some very cool, lengthy improvisational pieces, I want to say even a Coltrane cover, not altogether
removed from Love's live versions of John Lee Hooker/Revelation. I do remember noticing that every time a car radio was turned on in the film, it seemed that it was always Spirit being played, and thinking
that I wished that the band actually had gotten that much airplay; they certainly deserved it. Pretty sure also that Marty Paich did the orchestral arrangements on Spirit's earlier releases, so it makes sense that he'd arrange and orchestrate the film's music as well. There is a commercially available DVD of the film, but I personally think that the soundtrack CD is the item worth owning, despite the band actually being in the movie.
lemonade kid Posted - 27/01/2011 : 18:19:52
quote:

Ah, Spirit....one of America's very finest bands. To me they have always lain somewhere between The Doors, The Byrds, Cream, The Association.......and Love. And their first four classic albums must constitute one of the most consistently excellent bodies of work in the whole of rock!

I recently found a mono vinyl promo of their first album. At first, though it sounds great, I found no differences until I got to side two on the 4th track...it has some different sounds with more guitar up front etc and the next track too.

I remember reading liner notes how Spirit developed their songs while living together in Topanga Canyon. One night, Cass worked up some new drum lick by himself and it became the basis and inspiration for a song. Not too many songwriter would be inspired enough by a drum line to write a song for it, but Cass' drumming was the stuff of genius. I m sure his drumming was a major force in determining th edirection of many songs...."I Got A Line On You" would be a prime example I would think.

I knew when I got that first vinyl in 68 that I was hearing something special.
Rock on Cass.

John9 Posted - 27/01/2011 : 08:54:08
Ah, Spirit....one of America's very finest bands. To me they have always lain somewhere between The Doors, The Byrds, Cream, The Association.......and Love. And their first four classic albums must constitute one of the most consistently excellent bodies of work in the whole of rock!
sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 27/01/2011 : 02:30:00
quote:

The Model Shop soundtrack is well worth owning, if you happen to be a Spirit fan; very similar to their third release, "Clear," highlighting some fine John Locke instrumental material and overall excellent
ensemble playing from a really, really great band. Definitely not a strong Demy film (it's no "Umbrellas") but worth a look as an L.A. period piece, and especially for Spirit's appearance. Cass was Randy's stepfather, by the way ("The Family That Plays Together"). He lives about fifteen minutes away from me, is as cool and sharp as ever at the age of 87, and I still firmly believe that Randy was not mistaken in regularly introducing him onstage as "the greatest drummer in the world."

It was hard to tell if Spirit played some of the great instrumental music that went on during the lead actor's visits to the Model Shop.
It was a modal, minor key, Coltrane-sounding thing that had great guitar playing (clean, no distortion)in it.
I know Ed played with jazz people like Zoot Sims, but I never heard Randy play in a jazz style- was that him?
In the credits, they said Marty Paich conducted and was the musical director, but that's a little vague.
lemonade kid Posted - 26/01/2011 : 20:04:37
quote:

The Model Shop soundtrack is well worth owning, if you happen to be a Spirit fan; very similar to their third release, "Clear," highlighting some fine John Locke instrumental material and overall excellent
ensemble playing from a really, really great band. Definitely not a strong Demy film (it's no "Umbrellas") but worth a look as an L.A. period piece, and especially for Spirit's appearance. Cass was Randy's stepfather, by the way ("The Family That Plays Together"). He lives about fifteen minutes away from me, is as cool and sharp as ever at the age of 87, and I still firmly believe that Randy was not mistaken in regularly introducing him onstage as "the greatest drummer in the world."

No one drums like Cass....the best.

SignedRW Posted - 26/01/2011 : 19:26:31

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page