Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Our own Top Psych LPs list! Do it!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 26/07/2010 : 18:10:48
I changed this today, because, after all, every top whatever list is subjective and personal. This one was no different and just one man's opinion.

So here is now a place to drop in your own list for each to compare to our own personal top Psych list...you can make it a top 40, or top 20 or top TEN, dependign on how inspired you are.

Mine is at the end, after out discussion of the list we have dicussed of late.

Below is from a guy at Listology....

Love is #2 and this is a bit more to my liking as a top 40 psych albums list. The last list I posted put the highly derivative band Ultimate Spinach at the top....questionable at best.

But what do you all think of the #! choice? A big surprise for me...don't think I have ever seen a Psychedelia list with this one anywhere near the top.

Some nice write ups too here...and some great choices.

I am curious as to what you all think of the list.

http://www.listology.com/list/greatest-psychedelic-albums-1-10

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
captain america and billy Posted - 15/06/2011 : 16:44:45
At least ONE thing I know for sure,LK.Even in instances when an artist made the attempt at psych back then with mediocre or even poor results("Satanic Majesties",maybe)the works were created such a very certain and specific time in man's social evolvement,there was at least the feel of some sort of genuine inspiration SOMEWHERE in there.When I was a rather "individual" teen back in the techophonic-MTV generation 1980's,I was at first quite pleased,nay,excited beyond words when I heard Prince was about to release a brand new albums of his take on the genre only to be thorougly disappointed to listen to a friend's copy and find that not EVERYBODY possesses the proper underlying compositional skills to even have any business tackling such an endeavour."Paisley Park" was trite rubbish while "Raspberry Beret" merely exploited the art for a quickie top five single.Big mistake to get off the tremendouly articulate trail blazed by "Purple Rain" one of the decade five most important discs.
Joe Morris Posted - 15/06/2011 : 16:38:05
Lazy Smoke
of course
lemonade kid Posted - 14/06/2011 : 18:16:33
Crystal Chandelier....most have heard them if they own Nuggets or a number of comp psych CDs....

These guys (a 60's Rhode Island band mistakenly placed in Texas in many reviews....) two 45's really make me want MORE!!! What a shame we don't have at least a rare long player to bootleg!!

Suicidal Flowers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1qyfrIdJV0&feature=related

Setting Of Dispair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPqZUy5eAhM&NR=1

while I sing this song.
But if one day you should see me from your cloud
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.
captain america and billy Posted - 06/06/2011 : 15:26:27
I will always adore the way the sixties psych purveyors added a little more to the genre's eerieness with the funeral organ thing.Also,Ray Manzarek's trademark church service intonations.This singer sound like Jack Bruce,whose voice lent its own brand of spookiness to the Cream records.Good stuff.
lemonade kid Posted - 05/06/2011 : 21:14:49
Chaplin Harness....rather unknown...1969 blues pysch

Regretfully, very little little is known about this band (at least to me). I got it first as a gift on a cassette labeled "Chaplain", and for many years I've been looking for their album - lot of good it did to me.
Who they were, where did they came from? Anyway, in 1969 (?) they recorded this album in Mod Sound Studios on Federal Street of Camden, New Jersey. The music is amazing - it is high-class acid (or psychedelic), strongly hooked on blues, soul-inspired and strongly built on distorted guitars and powerful organ. Heartbreaking vocals of Raymond Bozarth sound like the lost soul screaming in the hell of urban jungle, moving towards gospel singing. Perhaps one of the most impressive voices I've ever heard.
Apart from R.Bozarth, on the first album the band had exceptional guitarist Rick Iannaconne (who later played with the top names of jazz), Edward Monroe on guitar, Joseph Mingori on keyboards and unbelievable drummer William Vespe.
A follow-up to this album - II - sometimes titled "From The Nest", and dating back to the same 1969, is also released by Gear Fab, and features incredible female vocalist Geri Mingori. It is strongly advisable to buy both albums as they are elements of the same concept, but also proves the evolution of the band.
Needless to say that Chaplin Harness (perhaps named so after the sound engineer?) failed to chart, and went to obscurity - until this re-issue by Gear Fab.
Somehow it reminds the first multi-racial record of Pacific Gas & Electric Get It On, or another underrated gem - Sleepy John. Definitely, it is stronger than "Free".
It seems that the CD was converted directly from the vinyl, and might displease the addicts of digital sound, but to my modest opinion it has this nostalgic warm feeling of on LP, which just adds to the charm of the album
-amazon

Without You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3GZLtnw03c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YsIpOk2dAY&feature=related

while I sing this song.
But if one day you should see me from your cloud
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.
lemonade kid Posted - 28/08/2010 : 19:23:08
quote:
Originally posted by ALLANAGAIN

Sprit of 76

Oh yeah!

ALLANAGAIN Posted - 28/08/2010 : 00:54:44
Sprit of 76
lemonade kid Posted - 25/08/2010 : 23:12:50
I don't know how I forgot my two favorite psych albums of all time?!!

Fever Tree's self-titled
Fever Tree "Another Time Another Place"....both are tops for me!!!

A Texas band that is synonymous with the San Francisco sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoJZndRfMQU ...San Francisco Girls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7wG0cbmou8&feature=related

AND!!! The New Tweedy Brothers...really far out psych from SF too.

HER DARKNESS IN DECEMBER... a dark psych tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au_ZV2WBegg&feature=youtube_gdata

try The New Tweedy Brothers on youtube ...they play many strange instruments and their style runs the gamut...to some the music may seem dated or untutored, but then....so am I!! One of those bands, like Family, that are hated as much as loved.

ALLANAGAIN Posted - 17/08/2010 : 17:24:48
I allwas liked the moody,s on during our psychedelic sessions...days of future passed, the album they did with the orchestra is great.
Allways liked On The Threshold Of A Dream...was never the main course, like Jimi and Love, but really good gentle sounds to come down to earth with, along with Incredible String Band, jOHN Martyn, Donovan and many others, they have thier place in Psychedelia for sure.
Another great album..The 5,000 spirits or The LAyers OF An Onion...by Incredible String Band.....will definatley be in my top 40 when i do it.
LOVE
ALLANAGAIN Posted - 17/08/2010 : 17:23:34
I allwas liked the moody,s on during our psychedelic sessions...days of future passed, the album they did with the orchestra is great.
Allways liked On The Threshold Of A Dream...was never the main course, like Jimi and Love, but really good gentle sounds to come down to earth with, along with Incredible String Band, jOHN Martyn, Donovan and many others, they have thier place in Psychedelia for sure.
Another great album..The 5,000 spirits or The LAyers OF An Onion...by Incredible String Band.....will definatley be in my top 40 when i do it.
LOVE
lemonade kid Posted - 13/08/2010 : 19:01:48
I would also add a favorite...

Live Dead..one of my favorite live albums from the day.

And...

>>The Doors' "Strange Days"...those first notes from Ray on organ still give chills....

"Strange days have found us...strange days have tracked us down
...they're going to destroy our casual joys..."

rocker Posted - 12/08/2010 : 18:39:19
lk..As the 70's rolled in, I didn't follow them after that...)

Same here. Just don't know why actually. They were a fine group with great songs. The same thing happened with the Hollies. Interesting how we stay with some groups and drop others. Why say Love and the Doors but not the Moodies or the Hollies? Why we constantly play certain songs?

boom....I like to go back and listen to those 60's groups and their early stuff. All those "sounds" produced in the UK at the time was something. As someone from the US you have to remember that we were used to ballads and the song and where the lyrics were uppermost in listeners minds like doo-wop for example. Hearing those guitars and drums and new melodies from guys over the pond chnaged alot of things here in music..that's the way I saw it. Maybe others have another recollection.
lemonade kid Posted - 12/08/2010 : 17:30:54
quote:
Originally posted by markk

As long as The Moody Blues have come up, I would add On The Threshhold of a Dream and Days of Future Paseed to the list.
Extraordinary.

I would have included all those, Mark, but at least the one got the juices flowing. That is a pretty impressive run....

Days Of Future Passed
In Search Of A Lost Chord
On The Threshold of a Dream (love it!) some soaring piano work.
To Our Children's....

(As the 70's rolled in, I didn't follow them after that...)

One can still buy their used vinyl for five bucks....they sold a lot of them! And sadly, they are a bit forgotten today.

boombox Posted - 12/08/2010 : 16:03:19
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Ever listen to their early stuff? I have their debut record the Magnificent Moodies. It's pretty good with rock and bluesy tunes.

I concur. I bought a 2LP compilation many moons ago (NB: LP, not CD!), simply because I loved NIWS and knew Denny Laine sang Go Now. First Moodies album I owned. Can't remember what was on it, but from memory it was the album plus some bonus tracks, singles etc. Not up in the Pretty Things league, of course, but still good.

Laine, of course found fame in Wings, but his original version of "Say You Don't Mind" also completely trounces Colin Blunstone's weak cover if it.
rocker Posted - 12/08/2010 : 14:48:33
Ever listen to their early stuff? I have their debut record the Magnificent Moodies. It's pretty good with rock and bluesy tunes.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page