Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Greatest Instrumentals or long breaks!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 13/06/2010 : 22:18:16
The DOORS certainly were the innovators on long instrumental breaks.
LoVE had their day as the first to fill a whole LP side with ONE song, mostly
instrumental.

Here is one of my favorites! QUicksilver were reputed to be the BEST at it
LIVE and never really captured in the studio. You could never convince me of that!

Here is one of my all time favorites! Gold and Silver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhraiPTORhI

John Cipollina really rocks that guitar....I'm not a smoker but was there ever
cooler pic of a guitarist....while rockin out he stuffs his cigarette in the guitar strings of the headstock.

Share your favorites, please!

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 15/06/2010 : 17:40:24
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

Have to agree on those Light My Fire breaks - especially when Jim went off on one in the middle too. And yes, some of those Airplane 3/5s jams were so creative - it's like they just took the loosest of frameworks and went where they wanted to go. I have a live recording where they play 3/5s instrumentally, possibly in A, rather than E. It took me a while to recognise what it was, but it wasn't just "Jam" as listed on the text file. I suppose it counts too, but what about that bass intro to STL on Bless Its Pointed Little Head?

But for long instrumental breaks, to me, nothing beats Jerry and Co around 69-71 heading off into space during Dark Star. 'Live Dead' should be in everyone's collection.

LIVE/DEAD is a favorite! I have a slightly warped but plays perfect vinyl from way back! I have to get it out....Dark Star was one that Garcia said made him cry as he played it. St Stephen is great too.

I will look for that Live Airplane...they are so great live...one of the better.

rocker Posted - 15/06/2010 : 17:35:20
"Even the short breaks like "3/5's of a Mile" are hot".

And I always loved the break in there too...Airplane's guitar licks were something...they got a great sound of it..Same with Knopfler on some of his his breaks especially his Telegrsph Road with Straits..on the song he takes that guitar into a great instrumental break...
boombox Posted - 15/06/2010 : 14:25:18
Have to agree on those Light My Fire breaks - especially when Jim went off on one in the middle too. And yes, some of those Airplane 3/5s jams were so creative - it's like they just took the loosest of frameworks and went where they wanted to go. I have a live recording where they play 3/5s instrumentally, possibly in A, rather than E. It took me a while to recognise what it was, but it wasn't just "Jam" as listed on the text file. I suppose it counts too, but what about that bass intro to STL on Bless Its Pointed Little Head?

But for long instrumental breaks, to me, nothing beats Jerry and Co around 69-71 heading off into space during Dark Star. 'Live Dead' should be in everyone's collection.
TJSAbass Posted - 15/06/2010 : 05:24:13
There are some pretty amazing live versions of "Light My Fire" on boots. I know it's after The Day, but I like Steely Dan's break on "Do It Again". Regarding JA, all I can say is Jorma rules! Even the short breaks like "3/5's of a Mile" are hot.
John9 Posted - 15/06/2010 : 01:15:23
Hi LK. I don't actually have a vinyl copy of Martha - but I did purchase a download of the song's mono version which as you've said, sounds absolutley magnificent. My CD editions of Takes Off and Surrealistic Pillow contain both the stereo and mono mixes of the albums - and they make for a fascinating comparison. Have you heard the Airplane's 1967 Monterey Concert ....it is currently available in Europe from Music Avenue. It contains two wonderful workouts on songs that were about to be recorded for After Bathing At Baxters. Sometime ago I wrote an Amazon review of the release:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000JJ3QW6/ref=sr_1_2_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&qid=1276557231&sr=8-2
lemonade kid Posted - 13/06/2010 : 23:23:41
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I have always loved Spare Chaynge by Jefferson Airplane - a group who like The Doors, Love, The Byrds and Buffalo Springfield seemed incapable of putting a foot wrong on 1967. I just wish that I had been mature enough to appreciate it all at the time.......but isn't that what they always say about the 60s!

RIght, J9. For me, it was pure joy and excitement everytime a
new Airplane or Buff or Beatle album showed at the record shop.

After Bathing was a revelation TRULY! A great band finally given total
freedom after their previous big hit...demanding total freedom actually.
and MAN!, did they use it! Good one, mate! For me (though loosely
linked) the first and BEST concept album ever!! I drew that cover
over and over in study hall from memory....I guess you could say that
as an artist, I covered the cover!!

Have you got the mono vinyl...there is a false start at the beginning
of "Martha" that sounds like a skip or skratch that bumps the song
back to the start....I looked for the scratch when I first played it.

It is as good as Surrealistic MONO--an essential.

The ending of "Hey Frederick" is pretty intense too! Love that song
by Grace. A powerful masterpiece....here it is if it's been a while!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w25xghugIdg

John9 Posted - 13/06/2010 : 22:37:45

I have always loved Spare Chaynge by Jefferson Airplane - a group who like The Doors, Love, The Byrds and Buffalo Springfield seemed incapable of putting a foot wrong on 1967. I just wish that I had been mature enough to appreciate it all at the time.......but isn't that what they always say about the 60s!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page