Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Music theft

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gatemouthmoore Posted - 12/06/2010 : 21:30:00
I'm wondering why some folks who find the need to troll the web seeking out sites where they can steal music, insist on corrupting this site with their findings

The vast majority of the people who post here, revere the music of the group this site
celebrates, and would not condone intentionally stealing it!

Many others are musicians, or are in the business themselves and are not amused by these
postings!

GMM
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 16/06/2010 : 17:02:15
Rick sent me this...."art" theft on an international scale...

http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=0011J7YDsLRiGn3DYVEoOBSuF1NK88Z5QAUsiRR4SSp1Sv3hVLVRT23AUfUvFHmRUw_0dDaSkTZI_BAyZAqGAYVkbGNxrf0Trt9KEZFyguCsVHL4eYcldEwqgsA9Mfk9LVj

lemonade kid Posted - 15/06/2010 : 17:46:42
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

I am venting and we are talking about different aspects of
the creative field, rocker...but thanks for the sounding board
opportunity!!

And vent you should! You mean that AD wants financial compensation on your art conception????? Whoa.....

Ya....because said AD had a part by saying, for example, "I need a small green dog by a big red house", that
he shared in the creation of my art and should share in the compensation.

Wacko huh?

rocker Posted - 15/06/2010 : 14:17:48
opportunity!!

And vent you should! You mean that AD wants financial compensation on your art conception????? Whoa.....
gatemouthmoore Posted - 15/06/2010 : 00:42:38
Not to belabor the point, but there are multi-billion dollar corporations who suddenly find their back catalogs are worthless! They will not take this lying down. They are playing hardball!

Hence the tens of thousands of families, who suddenly find themselves with judgements against them for hundreds of thousands of dollars, because junior fell victim to a sting. He illegally downloaded the latest Jonas Bros. offering, and traded it with his class mates.

The feds come knocking with a warrant for his computer. Because there are hundreds of songs on his hard drive. He is deemed to be running an ongoing criminal enterprise.
Such activity cannot be discharged thru bankruptcy, so juniors parents face losing the family home.

We may feel sympathy for juniors family, but what about the families of all the musicians and song writers, who see their life's work stolen on a daily basis

We need to fix this!

GMM
lemonade kid Posted - 14/06/2010 : 23:18:46
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Just an fyi..I make my livin' working for a kind of a "creative" co where "ideas" is all the co has. They get genrated and then put into action. Soem people steal the ideas OR the product conceived without paying for it. Not good. I'm certainly sensitive to it and to all of you who have to deal with this every day.

You gotta be quick, rocker. AS AN ARTIST, I have run into problems with clients, art directors etc, that don't have a real
understanding of copyright issues. If I do an illustration from an
"Idea", occasionally an AD who says "I had the idea, so it is half mine".
NOT in this case....

AN idea unfortunately cannot be copyrighted. If it could, visual artists
would go broke. An idea is a starting point, but the ART, or even song, is unique to the artist...commissioned because of his unique style & perspective to create something only he can do. An idea can be executed in a million ways, each one unique.

opportunity!!

rocker Posted - 14/06/2010 : 21:51:53
Just an fyi..I make my livin' working for a kind of a "creative" co where "ideas" is all the co has. They get genrated and then put into action. Soem people steal the ideas OR the product conceived without paying for it. Not good. I'm certainly sensitive to it and to all of you who have to deal with this every day.
lemonade kid Posted - 14/06/2010 : 21:37:57
I will never read a dreaded eBook. There is nothing more relaxing or
fulfilling as sitting in my ol' chair and holding a BOOK in my hands...
And reading a most loved opening sentence like--

"In a hole in the ground there lived...."

gatemouthmoore Posted - 14/06/2010 : 20:47:22
I understand the quandry many of us find ourselves in. Trading mp3s and other mediums of limited fidelity such as cassetts are not the problem! It's when we routinely download full fidelity music Cds, or audio Dvds, that causes the problems.

Think of all the recent releases of Love songs, with new liner notes and interviews or
un-released songs, that show different sides of the group, the humour and laughter, the give and take. I'm afraid that kind of release will be history, if the folks who provide this labour of love, (and it is a labour of love) cannot recoup their substantial investment.

We are now facing the reality that many of the planned Love offerings (that we have been
waiting for) are now being put on hold, because the Record Companies, and the folks involved, cannot recoup their investment of time and money...We all lose!

The day is coming when a full three hundred plus page book, will be uploaded and downloaded to to the medium of choice, to be read on our computers or ipads or whatever!
Think of what a dreary world this would be if books like the recent book of Love, were
never written because the publisher, and writer could not recoup their investment and earn a living. Folks we have met the enemy, and he is us!

There are very few works that are truly out of print, they are just lying dormant, waiting
for enough interest ie. paying customers to justify re-release. Now I will climb down off my soap box an dig some Charlie Parker!

GMM
__________________________________________________________________________________________
It's better to have what you don't want, than to want what you can't have!
lemonade kid Posted - 14/06/2010 : 16:48:13
I see your point, boomer & I have been guilty of just what you
relate.
Especially back in the cassette days. I still share cassettes and
burns with friends in hopes of turning them on to artists i love.

But with the massive power of the net, the potential for abuse or
even profit is immense, astronomical! I just hope we keep getting
the word out to everyone that the mere availability of something that
is "out there", does not mean it is legal or ethical.

Your thoughts are valid, boomer, and I do it too, so I can decide if I
want to make the ultimate purchase.... A good thing.

So within reason and with discretion, sure...but wantonly, never.
Please.

rocker Posted - 14/06/2010 : 16:22:30
Beyond that, as a visual artist myself, respect the hard work of artists and don't put it out there for any and all.

This certainly can be a real problem area today and of course many people don't respect the rights of arists and their work. I always look at that from the point of view of that's the artist's literal bread and butter, their life and work. Got to respect the concept and the content any artist produces. I hope those using the Net get wise.
boombox Posted - 14/06/2010 : 11:45:15
gatemouth, I know where you are coming from, but the sites offering the vinyl rips of OOP stuff, or even CD rips of similarly unavailable albums can be a good thing. Yes, there seems to be a rise in currently available stuff too, but in my case, certainly, on the occasion that I do download something, getting any mp3s is no different to the way as we all taped stuff from vinyl in the 70s and 80s. OK, it might not be strictly legal, but it's how most of us discovered new bands. Just because the technology is possibly better, it's no different from cassettes and no-one gets pilloried for those. For some of us, these sites are like a shop window, often raising awareness of acts and releases of which we might not be aware. We can then go out and buy the actual products.

A few years ago, I saw Janis Ian was playing fairly close by. "Janis Ian," thought I. " I know the name, but what did she do?" I found an mp3 rip of an early greatest hits, listened to it, went to the concert (excellent performer, by the way and a lovely lady), bought the new album there, trawled shops and ebay for other albums and every Christmas, I buy stuff during the holiday sale, which benefits her charitable foundation, and wait forlornly for her to tour the UK again.

Another contemporary of hers, Julie Felix, was also playing nearby. I found a rip of her albeit rerecorded (some quite badly) songs, listened and bought my concert ticket. Went to the show and then spent the next few months tracking down the first half dozen LPs on ebay - the only way to hear how she did those songs in the first place. My own LP>CD rips then got partially replaced on CD when a set of the first three finally came out. Similarly, I rediscovered Stackridge at a festival 2 years ago. Went home, eager to hear more. Downloaded a couple of albums for a listen. Since then, I have bought (mainly direct from the band at gigs to contribute even more to their pension funds) every official album and DVD they have released from the last 40 years.

I am also currently awaiting delivery of the first four studio albums by John Mayer. Yes, I got them on mp3 from various sources when I knew I was going to see him live, but it's about time I got the proper albums (mp3s don't and never will count as the real thing, to my mind and I want the artists to keep going.) Oh, and I am still trying to track down a CD of mod-revivalists, The Moment's one and only album on CD, which had a very limited run and though fortunately I was able to find an mp3 rip, I want the real thing to replace my stretched cassette copy from the early 80s. In the meantime, I can still relive my youth!
lemonade kid Posted - 12/06/2010 : 22:47:48
quote:
Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

I agree Lk: Occasionally sharing music with friends, which often ends in that person
buying the full version of said cd or mp3, is quite different than sponsoring a
site who's sole purpose is the theft of music!

I used to innocently think those sites only offered OOP long passed albums. but then I started seeing albums that were being reissued after decades of decay....really great ones, not boots but with the artist's involvement. These were being offered as something legit to the world.

Not good, people. Any part I played was unintentional and happened once, I think...by me. It ain't public domain unless it says so!

Thanks, gatemouth....I think some just don't know. Trade with your friends, but keep it light. I traded for a couple CD-Rs recently and went out and bought several hundred bucks with that trade's inspiration. I gotta stop trading!!

gatemouthmoore Posted - 12/06/2010 : 22:18:09
I agree Lk: Occasionally sharing music with friends, which often ends in that person
buying the full version of said cd or mp3, is quite different than sponsoring a
site who's sole purpose is the theft of music!
lemonade kid Posted - 12/06/2010 : 22:00:01
quote:
Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

I'm wondering why some folks who find the need to troll the web seeking out sites where they can steal music, insist on corrupting this site with their findings

The vast majority of the people who post here, revere the music of the group this site
celebrates, and would not condone intentionally stealing it!

Many others are musicians, or are in the business themselves and are not amused by these
postings!

GMM

I agree...my posts are either free mp3s offered by the bands themselves or youtube....which for me is a promotional vehicle and I never save or download. Free plays are a useful tool and most artists usually embrace the free publicity. Youtube has been an invaluable source to discover new and exciting music that we could never hear otherwise. But please do not download. I disagree with those that condemn youtube...it is NOT intended to be a "free" music site for anyone to exploit...more of a community of music lovers sharing their favorites.

Beyond that, as a visual artist myself, respect the hard work of artists and don't put it out there for any and all.

We have all shared some music now and then with a friend or two, but that has always resulted in music purchases by me!!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page