Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 SF Sorrow revisited

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Old_Man Posted - 06/05/2010 : 22:01:06
This article in todays online Guardian. (UK newspaper)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/may/06/pretty-things-sf-sorrow-cd-review
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boombox Posted - 13/05/2010 : 16:22:47
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

SF Sorrow and Tommy are only comparable as so called "rock operas". They are both very different, one is psychedelic rock and very innovative/experimental and technical, the other is just rock, albeit imaginative. I like both but preference is is strongly in favour of The Pretty Things.

Would have to agree 100% with this. Tommy is perhaps an easier listen as it's less adventurous. And I would have to agree with some of the comments on that page: Parachute is also a fine album. The Pretties in Bristol in 2001(? - precise date escapes me)will probably remain one of my all-time favourite shows - Skip' drum solo on the monitor wedge during Route 66 was inspired. And the current version of the band comprising, Dick, Phil, Frank and some youngsters still kicks butt too.
Old_Man Posted - 12/05/2010 : 21:30:24
SF Sorrow and Tommy are only comparable as so called "rock operas". They are both very different, one is psychedelic rock and very innovative/experimental and technical, the other is just rock, albeit imaginative. I like both but preference is is strongly in favour of The Pretty Things.
lemonade kid Posted - 12/05/2010 : 15:47:21
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

I think Gilmour played with them on that live show?

I was given SF Sorrow (thank you lk!) but have yet to listen to it (its a case of making time - I'm getting through listening to some Beatles bootlegs!)

what to expect? are they strong songs?

wasn't really too impressed with Odessey and Oracle, which came out around the same. Some good songs, but not consistantly excellent is my feeling

No comparison. SF Sorrow is strong, sometimes heavy, sometimes acid psych, melodic, dark it has it al and makes TOMMY sound like nursery song.

It will blow you away...LISTEN NOW! Recorded at ABBEY ROAD the same time as Sgt Peppers and Pipers At The Gates Of Dawn....to put it in perspective....and equally a masterpiece!

Right, guys?!

Joe Morris Posted - 12/05/2010 : 03:11:53
I think Gilmour played with them on that live show?

I was given SF Sorrow (thank you lk!) but have yet to listen to it (its a case of making time - I'm getting through listening to some Beatles bootlegs!)

what to expect? are they strong songs?

wasn't really too impressed with Odessey and Oracle, which came out around the same. Some good songs, but not consistantly excellent is my feeling
TJSAbass Posted - 10/05/2010 : 23:12:23
Netflix has the DVD of the live performance they did in the early 2000's. Well worth watching, lots of band interview footage. I have come to regard SF Sorrow as one of the masterpieces of the era.
bob f. Posted - 09/05/2010 : 03:22:59
i'm playing a comp, " The Psychedelic Years" which has most of SF SORROW, , and some great live stuff from Abbey Road Studios. Baron Saturday live is good, Walking Through My Dreams, is one of my favorites. they sound allways familiar in a good way, but always original and unique at the same time! I know their sound, which is hard to define, but easy to recognize, much like Spirit has its own sound, and always enjoyable and full of surprise.

...what the world needs now...
Old_Man Posted - 07/05/2010 : 19:41:51
Their break from R&B was sealed when John Povey and Wally Allen(Waller) joined the band in '66/'67, on keys and base respectively. Before this John and Wally were in a band called the Fenmen, a harmony based group influenced by the Beach Boys. UT records(Ugly Things) have released a compilation album of old and NEW material from the two heroes called Sunstroke. 17 tracks and some really good stuff on it. Some of the older/rarer material sounds a bit "scratchy", but still great to hear, and theres also some BBC session material thrown in for good measure. The new stuff is good too. A collectors item for all Pretty Things fans for sure, but everyone should check it out. http://www.ugly-things.com/
lemonade kid Posted - 07/05/2010 : 00:15:39
One of my all-time favorites, ol' man. After I heard SF Sorrow for
the first time, I was blown away, and never looked back (at TOMMY )
...again.

I have it on cassette in my MR-2 and wear it out!

I do likek the point of the piece you posted...the Pretties were the only R&B UK band to be able to completely & successfully break away from their successful past and record a psychedelic masterpiece.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page