Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 What song was #1 on the day you were born

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Spiritinthesky Posted - 04/10/2009 : 10:05:23
Have you ever done this?

See what song was #1 on the day you were born.

My number #1's are:
'You're So Vain' by Carly Simon in the US
'Long Haired Lover From Liverpool' by Little Jimmy Osmond in the UK
'Ben' by Michael Jackson in Australia

See which songs you get
http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/birthdayno1

"I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had 6 months to live" Keith Richards
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
John9 Posted - 08/10/2009 : 17:33:24
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

No, John I remember reading that before the charts were made up of stuff sold on vinyl it was charts for the sale of sheet music. Sheet music is still sold today, of course, it's not particularly victorian!!!!

See this page here (from Petula Clark's site of all places!!) for info on the sheet music charts

http://www.petulaclark.net/chartsheetmusic.html

and here for the charts....

http://www.onlineweb.com/theones/1950_sheet.htm

Seems, John, you have 'Too Young' done by either Nat King Cole or Jimmy Young!!

Thanks for researching that, Caryne...an apt song title if ever there was one......I'll take the Nat King Cole version. And I've just found out that I share the same birthday as Jesse Jackson...though happily, not the same year. Back to Petula Clark, I shall shortly be heading 'Downtown'. Cheers!
caryne Posted - 08/10/2009 : 14:52:45
quote:
Originally posted by John9

quote:
[I seem to recall that at one time instead of charts for record sales there were charts for sales of sheet music... do they relate to your birthday?

You mean like the ones they used to sell on the streets of Victorian London? I'm not quite of that vintage, Caryne!

No, John I remember reading that before the charts were made up of stuff sold on vinyl it was charts for the sale of sheet music. Sheet music is still sold today, of course, it's not particularly victorian!!!!

See this page here (from Petula Clark's site of all places!!) for info on the sheet music charts

http://www.petulaclark.net/chartsheetmusic.html

and here for the charts....

http://www.onlineweb.com/theones/1950_sheet.htm

Seems, John, you have 'Too Young' done by either Nat King Cole or Jimmy Young!!
John9 Posted - 08/10/2009 : 14:43:53
quote:
[I seem to recall that at one time instead of charts for record sales there were charts for sales of sheet music... do they relate to your birthday?

You mean like the ones they used to sell on the streets of Victorian London? I'm not quite of that vintage, Caryne!
caryne Posted - 08/10/2009 : 11:53:02
quote:

Having been denied a pop chart birthright by the fact that the Musical Express did not devise its first Top 12 until 1952, I find that on precisely 8 October 1951, Hank Williams released Hey Good Lookin'....I'm happy to settle for that.

I seem to recall that at one time instead of charts for record sales there were charts for sales of sheet music... do they relate to your birthday?
John9 Posted - 08/10/2009 : 01:51:47
Having been denied a pop chart birthright by the fact that the Musical Express did not devise its first Top 12 until 1952, I find that on precisely 8 October 1951, Hank Williams released Hey Good Lookin'....I'm happy to settle for that.
rocker Posted - 06/10/2009 : 14:41:54
I dont' know..should Scott Mckenzie tip his hat to ole Tony??...
lemonade kid Posted - 05/10/2009 : 23:32:40
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

lk..if I'm not mistaken Tony is still crooning, eh?? Doo be dooby do..

He is bigger than ever and will likely go on forever. I have an original red label 6-eye
Columbia of his "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" LP.

Remember when it seemed like Tony was on Ed Sullivan every week?!

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
rocker Posted - 05/10/2009 : 22:29:31
lk..if I'm not mistaken Tony is still crooning, eh?? Doo be dooby do..
lemonade kid Posted - 05/10/2009 : 18:28:08
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

heh heh my friends I am so ancient that Australia does not have a song for me....all I have to hold on to is Tony Bennett's "Because of You"! (I think that's when skiffle got invented, eh???)

Hey rocker, Tony is the man. You're in good company....we oldsters.....Patti Page, Bill Haley,

For those who need a quick reference chart.......this is a bit different for mine (but this is from Billboard Mag ...not the site I originally went to, so I don't know...which is right.?...I LIKE this one for me!!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_number_one_hits_ (United_States)

The address doesn't go directly to the page, but if you search the quick menu you can easily find USA and Euro charts (sorry the Billboard chart starts at 1984!!

So I'm--"Goodnight Irene" The Weavers (great great folk icons!)

>Now which birthday hit is yours, J9?!!

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
rocker Posted - 05/10/2009 : 14:57:32
heh heh my friends I am so ancient that Australia does not have a song for me....all I have to hold on to is Tony Bennett's "Because of You"! (I think that's when skiffle got invented, eh???)
boombox Posted - 05/10/2009 : 14:01:50
For me:

UK & Aus - Yellow Submarine / Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles

US - Sunshine Superman - Donovan

Yeah, so I was born 20 years too late!
caryne Posted - 05/10/2009 : 11:16:54
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid
[
By the way "Fingertips"is fantastic! Stevie was a wonder!!

Actually I can't stand Stevie Wonder's voice, it really grates, I just find it really irritating. He was an excellent songwriter but it must be about thirty years since he's produced anything up to standard, imo.
caryne Posted - 05/10/2009 : 11:14:13
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tina

Jan 7th 1956 for the Australian chart - there goes the illusion that I'm 35!!

Admirable frankness, Tina. In my own case it is October 8th, 1951...which I am sorry to say, predates the first ever UK chart (NME, November 1952) by more than a year. It is interesting to note though that for the first three or four years, there was just a Top 12.....and that in that very first one, there were three songs by Vera Lynn....not bad when you remember that very recently, and at the age of 92, she topped the albums chart here.

Yeah, she sold more records recently than the Beatles remastered albums!! It made me smile. We've also had Cliff Richard and Tommy Steele in the charts again recently... the world has gone mad
John9 Posted - 05/10/2009 : 09:48:14
quote:
Originally posted by Tina

Admirable frankness, Tina. In my own case it is October 8th, 1951...which I am sorry to say, predates the first ever UK chart (NME, November 1952) by more than a year. It is interesting to note though that for the first three or four years, there was just a Top 12.....and that in that very first one, there were three songs by Vera Lynn....not bad when you remember that very recently, and at the age of 92, she topped the albums chart here.
Tina Posted - 05/10/2009 : 08:04:20

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page