Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Mott the Hoople

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John E Posted - 04/10/2009 : 02:03:51
I've just returned from seeing Mott the Hoople at the third of their comeback gigs (after 36 years) at Hammersmith Apollo. I followed Mott the Hoople in the early Seventies, and they were my favourite UK rock band then...the link between rock 'n roll, Dylan, glam and punk. Tonights show was nothing less than phenomenal. Ian Hunter looks the same as he ever did, and is at the peak of his powers, aged 70! They kicked off with "Hymn for the Dudes (a personal favourite) and played material spanning their whole career, including some early Island stuff. They were dynamic, powerful and tight...in fact the sound was quite amazing. All five original members were present, though Buffin who had alzheimers only came on at the end. He was replaced by Martin Lambert from the Pretenders for most of the set. An array of backing singers including Ian Hunter's and Mick Ronson's daughters came on at the end for "Roll Away the Stone", "All the Young Dudes", "All the Way to Memphis" and "Saturday Gigs". Pure rock 'n roll history! Amazingly, I met Chris Start on the tube on the way home, who's working on a film about Mott the sequel to "Love Story"). John E
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bob f. Posted - 10/10/2009 : 21:18:06
i was (vaguely) at The Hollywood Palladium's Mott concert in 1975 and Iggy Pop joined them. seems "Dudes" went on forever!

...what the world needs now...
Allan Posted - 10/10/2009 : 17:27:00
Back in the day, 1972, I was anxiously waiting to see David Bowie and the Spiders from Mars coming to a local venue in the burbs of Philly...The Tower Theater in Upper Darby to be exact. The night before the Spiders gig, Mott the Hoople appeared there. And the BIG SURPRISE was when Bowie walked onstage unannounced and performed 'All the Young Dudes' singing back-up to Hunter. It was the prelude of 2 of the best concerts I ever saw.

Allan
Joe Morris Posted - 05/10/2009 : 03:19:47
a (quite good) cover off Mott (final cut):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7MuTU4k8-I

enjoy!

Joe Morris Posted - 04/10/2009 : 16:06:07
Drivin sister Rock and Roll!

ah I love you guys - now you got me pulling out
Mott to hear a bit of the Ballad
caryne Posted - 04/10/2009 : 13:20:12
I would have loved to see 'Mott', a great band, money (or lack of it) is meaning I'm having to cut back on a lot these days. I'm glad it was such a great show for those that went, I hope they play again sometime soon when I might be able to afford it.
Spiritinthesky Posted - 04/10/2009 : 10:02:21
There was a great review in the Times yesterday. Sounds like a great gig!

"I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had 6 months to live" Keith Richards
scully Posted - 04/10/2009 : 09:22:21
Saw Mott on Friday night, never been a massive fan, but think Ian Hunter is a complete one off, great guy.

Such a shame that Dale Griffin is suffering from Alzheimer's -- he produced so many great Peel sessions.
John E Posted - 04/10/2009 : 09:00:08
Joe:

I've always thought "Sutrday gigs" was a mythic idea, as Croydon Greyhound and Lyceum were Sundays! I also saw Mott the Hoople at Fairfield Halls, The John Peel Show and Buxton Festival among others.

Lemonade Kid:

Unfortunately only "Rock 'n Roll Queen" from those four. I would love to have heard the pthher three and "No Wheels to Ride". However, we did get "The Journey", "The Original Mixed-Up Kid", "You Keep a Knockin'", "Walkin' with a Mountain", "The Moon Upstairs" etc.

Cheers, John E
lemonade kid Posted - 04/10/2009 : 04:45:44
Of course, I love their first and Wild Life...did they do any of those ...not their hit period of course, but...

At The Crossroads
Laugh At ME
Rock and Roll Queen
Angel Of Eighth Avenue

Great stuff!!

Glad to hear they were so good!

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
Joe Morris Posted - 04/10/2009 : 03:26:43
do you remember the Saturday Gigs
Johnny?

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page