Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Judee Sill live or studio....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 08/09/2009 : 17:22:55
...didn't matter. she was always ON and put all she had into her music.

I just got "Judee Sill-Live In London/The BBC Recordings 1972-73". All I have to say is brilliant.
Performing her songs with only her guitar or piano, Sill's works become even more personal and sublime. Her intros to each song give new insight and warmth to each track. "The Donor" is brilliant!

Just when I thought we had gotten all there was to her smal but brilliant catalog, the BBC comes up with this great collection gleaned from shows at Paris Theatre, & at the Golden Green. The shows were from the In Concert & With Bob Harris shows. The audio is fantastic and as good as any could wish. No OGWT tracks so we know there are more out there. We can only hope there will be a BBC video released on DVD...someday soon.

Now for the interesting part...the CD is packaged as a nice eco-pack cardboard gatefold CD.
BUT----in both sides, there was an identical CD of the 18 track LIVE sets. It HAS to be a mistake!! They won't make any money with that kind of mistake. Not that a disc costs more than a few pennies to make, but I will give the second CD to a friend and that can't be good for sales!

Anyone want to do a trade for that duplicate CD? I am serious!

here is some Judee http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhwSTlgPFps&feature=related

....let's share our joy for Judee, if you have any to share, here. This is a faint hope, but did anyone see her when she was in the UK? Share...

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 12/09/2009 : 15:18:04
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

She sounds much more relaxed and smoother on the BBC live cuts compared to the Boston Music Hall live cuts she did when she opened for Crosby & Nash.
The only woman guitarist who played guitar as good as JS was Joan Baez.
Musicianship-wise JS had no equal. As much as I love Judy Collins' LPs, she sang way flat on some live cuts I've heard.

Why they couldn't have given her at least Bill Plummer on upright bass for the live concerts is beyond me.
Were they trying to save money?

Never thought about a bass player, that could have been nice...but her guitar/piano playing is so good, I just didn't ever feel a lack for anything in her LIVE BBC performances!

Being a drummer, I never noticed Mitchell's sloppy playing live,...though I haven't heard a lot.
She was an innovator though in studio work, for sure.

--william saroyan
sometimesmylifeissoeerie Posted - 12/09/2009 : 08:04:37
She sounds much more relaxed and smoother on the BBC live cuts compared to the Boston Music Hall live cuts she did when she opened for Crosby & Nash.
The only woman guitarist who played guitar as good as JS was Joan Baez.
Musicianship-wise JS had no equal. As much as I love Judy Collins' LPs, she sang way flat on some live cuts I've heard.
JS' guitar was out of tune in the meiddle of the Boston Music Hall show and that caused her to sing a little out of tune.
She misses the third note of "The Lamb Ran Away With the Crown", but then hits everything else.
But as good as a performer as she was, and she was an excellent musician (compare her steady,continuo arpeggios to Joni Mitchell's sloppy strumming, live), the arrangements Harris wrote for her are subtle works of art, much hipper than Nick Drake's charts (except for "River Man", of course), and they add a whole nother dimension to the tunes being played solo, live.
Why they couldn't have given her at least Bill Plummer on upright bass for the live concerts is beyond me.
Were they trying to save money?
lemonade kid Posted - 08/09/2009 : 20:57:45
Judee "started out playing bass and was a free-lance musician around LA for four or five years, before switching to piano".

--william saroyan
lemonade kid Posted - 08/09/2009 : 20:05:29
In the interview portion of the CD, Judee states that she feels the British appreciate her music MUCH more than Americans. Also how much she enjoyed playing the UK venues , except one--she didn't say which...(when questioned about the venues, Judee asked, 'what's a "venue" '...not a common USA term back then). Also, that she learned her piano licks in reform school.... the only fun part of being in there!

--william saroyan

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page